Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Chums Waterproof Camera Float
Color: Yellow|Change

on June 12, 2012
I purchased 3 floating camera straps - the Vivatar, the Olympus and the Chums -since they were all pretty inexpensive and they all seemed to have good reviews and bad reviews. After trying out all 3 I decided the Olympus will go with me on my next snorkeling adventure with my new Nikon Coolpix AW100 (which I absolutely love but that's for another review). Here are my observations on all three straps. I ordered all 3 in yellow - the Vivatar was a kind of dingy orangish yellow while the other two were a bright yellow which I felt would be easier to spot so score 1 for Olympus and Chums. The Vivatar and Olympus both were easy to dry off while the Chums is made of a kind of spongy material which doesn't dry off right away so score one for Vivatar and Olympus. The Olympus and Chums fit my wrist very nicely whereas I wasn't quite sure how to attach the Vivatar to my person. I thought the Olympus when it was cinched up fit my wrist especially well so score two for Olympus and one for Chums. A side note here - I have an average man's size hands whereas my wife has long slender hands. The Olympus slid right off of her hand even when it was cinched up so the Chums might actually work better for her. The Olympus and the Chums both seemed more buoyant than the Vivatar. The Vivatar failed the bathtub test - filling my bathtub to the top and dropping the strap into the water attached to the Nikon (it's a Jacuzzi tub so it's fairly deep). The Nikon was actually resting on the bottom of the tub with the Vivatar whereas it was not touching with the other two straps. The Vivatar was holding up one end of the camera so I suspect in deeper waters it would keep the camera floating but I don't know that for sure. Score one apiece for the Olympus and the Chums. One final observation - and this one is a little subjective. The Olympus just seemed better constructed with more durable parts and connections than the other two. Score one point for Olympus. Final score => Vivatar - 1 point, Olympus - 6 points, Chums - 3 points. Hope this is helpful
381 helpful votes
382 helpful votes
22 comments|Report abuse
on June 23, 2015
Worked great while on a trip to Maui a few weeks ago. It was used daily in the water. I attached it to a Fuji XP70 camera that was waterproof. The Chums floated well and did not get pulled under the water by the camera. Obviously the camera was underwater while the Chums floated on top of the water. There is a nice twist off attachment to quickly remove the floating part from the attachment to the camera. There was plenty of room for me to wear it around my wrist, my child's wrist and my wife's wrist. It was very durable as well. We used it in both the ocean water and pool water. It dried quickly and never became water logged. The bright yellow color was nice to be able to see it while it was in the water. It was worth the extra cost for a name brand item. I would buy this item again.
on September 20, 2011
Bought a Panasonic underwater camera for our cruise to Mexico and bought this strap to go along with it. Took a bunch of pictures and when we got back, we went to a lake party but I did not get a chance to download the pictures off the camera before we went to the party. At the lake, I was floating around with the camera strapped to my wrist and next thing you know, the strap broke and the camera went to the bottom (around 25-30ft deep). Tried getting a diver out to look for it but was not able to. Lost all our cruise pictures along with the camera! Will not buy this strap again!
16 helpful votes
17 helpful votes
on June 13, 2012
I bought this product without reading comments because it just looked like exactly what I wanted... then I got it, and saw a huge flaw. The black clip pops off soooo easy!!!! BUUUTTTTT, it's okay. You can rig it so it's a perfectly good working float for any valuable item (like a camera).
So the idea is to attach your original camera's wrist strap along side of this floatable strap. Once both are attached you send the original strap thru the yellow float strap (thru the hole for your wrist) and then send your entire camera thru your original strap on the other side. This is what I call lassoing your original strap to your float strap as a backup cord. This way you get a secure connection to your camera. And now the float is safe and functional.

Plus the other alternative floats are bulky and ugly in my opinion, and I like the look and feel of this one. And now that it is functional I use it all the time in the water.
I added pictures for added support. Hope this helps!!

PS. Chums should have made a better product in the first place, but lets make lemonade out of a lemon!
review imagereview image
66 helpful votes
67 helpful votes
66 comments|Report abuse
on November 16, 2015
Used this with a waterproof camera case I also purchased here on Amazon. After watching several people drop their cameras 30 feet down into the reef over the years, I wanted to make sure that mine stayed afloat. It worked just as advertised and I did actually let go of it to make sure that it would support my digital camera (it did). I like that the float is in the shape of a loop which securely fits around the wrist. This makes it much easier to manage than just a float setup which flops around while you're trying to take photos. Very satisfied.
on July 7, 2015
On my first trip to Hawai'i, I did not have an underwater camera so I made do with a disposable Fuji water "resistant" camera (that were supposed to be self-floating, by the way). Due to not having a floating strap, I decided to buy one for a my new Panasonic underwater camera. I received the Chums strap the morning I was to leave on my second trip. (Unfortunately)/Fortunately I could not find my camera as I was leaving. I took the Chums strap anyway to use on another camera I would buy while on Oahu. Once there I opted for another Fuji disposable (multiples actually). On our snorkeling trip, I attached the Chums strap to the Fuji, just in case. I had just taken most of a roll on some amazing families of Honu (Green Sea Turtles) and groups of dolphins swimming right near and under us.As we were cruising to a new spot on the tour boat, I was wearing the Chums "enhanced" Fuji, my wrist (BARELY) touched the rail and the stupid freakin' clip detached from the camera and "ploop", into the water it went. Cruising along at our speed in 30-50 foot water and with the flotation strap no longer attached to both the camera AND my wrist, the camera was lost to history....AGAIN!
Why in the world would you put a cheap, thin plastic quick-(dis)connect between you and the device you want to save (what would have been a $400+ camera, but ended up being a priceless bunch of memories instead)??????????
This should be a thin stainless cable with some locking mechanism or something. Looks cool, but it's a really stupid design, that was, in my case, bought by a much more stupid person. Never again.
review imagereview image
on December 28, 2012
We've used the product three times, attached to our waterproof camera, while snorkeling in various locations. While it lasted, it was great; it stayed afloat and being bright yellow, was easy to see too, in case you accidentally let go of it or something. Unfortunately though, the last time we used it, the cord broke. Thankfully we were in shallow water, so my husband was able to retrieve the camera, but I would expect the cord to be better than that! He was able to retie it with a special "low-profile" knot so it could still be slid-out and taken off the camera, but like I said, I was disappointed with the lack of quality in this product. The only reason it gets 2-stars instead of 1-star though is because it serves it's purpose and I have not found any other floating camera wrist-straps as of yet.
on July 31, 2016
Very useful for swimming or other watersports. Will easily float a point-and-shoot camera. Yellow color makes it highly
visible in the water. I use one for my camera and one for a small dry box holding my keys and ID. This will really help you keep from
losing your valuables when you are in the water.
on August 12, 2011
I bought this with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 waterproof camera. This product is fantastic. I took the camera in a 21-day trip to the Olympic National Park and the Canadian Rockies. The big yellow band is comfortable to wear and easy to recognize, both in and out of water. The band does float the camera, even in the several hot springs we visited. However, the thin thread that ties the big yellow floater to the camera broke after 14days. The same one that comes as part of the camera has a much thicker thread. I would think that a product that charges $10 should not cut corners on the material compared to the one that comes free with the camera. Without this drawback I'd give 5 stars.
24 helpful votes
25 helpful votes
on July 12, 2013
I bought the Chums wrist float to go along with my Canon D20. To start off, I simply liked the look of the Chums yellow wrist band better than the competitor products. But I am not going to bet "looks" on my $300 Canon camera. Now with that said, I'll give my feedback after returning from 11 days in Kauai.

I read all the review of the Olympus, Chums and others. I really only liked the way the Chums looked. I was concerned about 3 things after reading the reviews: 1) would it float with a my camera attached?, 2) the small string that attaches the camera to the wrist band and 3) the size of the wrist band because I have 3 kids (11, 9, and 9) that will use the camera in the water.

I was surprised by the weight of the Canon D20 camera (I didn't really concern myself with the weight when buying it). After getting the camera out of the box, I was a little worried that the Chums wouldn't support the camera in the water (some reviews said the Chums didn't support their cameras). And frankly, when holding the Chums in my hand, it didn't seem like it would support much.

So as many did, I tested the chums in a 5 gallon HD bucket and it worked fine. When I got to Hawaii, I tested the Chums with my D20 in the pool and it worked GREAT! The yellow band is easy to spot and with no help, the top 1"-2" inches of the band stick out of the water as the water moves. It just floats along as described. It performed the same in the ocean, but the waves will make it go up and down a lot more than a pool. If you lose your camera in the tide along the beach, I am sure you will see the camera pop back up. If you use it for snorkeling in reasonably calm water, you won't have any problem.

My other concern was the string that connects the wrist band to the camera. I agree with the reviewers that the sting appears to thin for me to trust my $300 investment. I used the Canon D20 strap with the camera and looped it around the Chums. It would be nice if Chums used the same type of material that Canon uses, but they don't. If I could give them 4.5 stars, I would. But I don't think it is worth dinging them 20% (1 star) because my biggest concerns were floatation and visibility. Frankly, the string doesn't look that bad. It would probably support the camera in the short term. But excessive use in salt water may wear the material down over time.

The wrist band does NOT adjust. After using it for 11 days in pools and the ocean for all sorts of activities, I don't think it needs to. I am an average sized guy and it would go up about 75% of the way to my elbow to be snug. When I was snorkeling and swimming after fish, I would either be holding the camera in my hand ready to shoot or I would let it move up my arm. It can be a bit difficult to swim with something hanging off of your wrist anyway (snug or not). In the pool, it just didn't seem to matter to me if the thing was snug. Many times, I just left it off and let it float around and used it when I needed it.

All in all, I am very happy with the Chums.
2 helpful votes