Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Church Dogmatics, Vol. 4.1, Sections 57-59: The Doctrine of Reconciliation, Study Edition 21 Paperback – September 2, 2010
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
About the Author
Karl Barth was described by Pope Pius XII as the most important theologian since Thomas Aquinas, the Swiss Pastor and Theologian, and Barth continues to be a major influence on students, scholars and preachers. Barth's theology found its expression mainly through his closely reasoned fourteen part magnum opus, Die Kirchliche Dogmatik. Having taken over 30 years to write, the Church Dogmatics is regarded as one of the most important theological works of all time, and represents the pinnacle of Barth's achievements as a theologian.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Ok; the “Church-Dogmatics is “massive”, but volume IV is considered the best choice for a consolidated reading, where you can still take away the full content of Barth’s theology. Sections 57, 58, and 59 broke down into 17 mini lessons for my reading:
1. Pp. 1-10 CONCEPT-HISTORY-GRACE
2. Pp. 10-20 CONCEPT-PROCLAMATION-CONCRETE-ACTUALITY
3. Pp. 20-30 COVENANT-DIATHEKE-TRINITARIAN-QUALIFICATION
4. Pp. 30-40 ATONEMENT-PRESUPPOSITIONS-CORRESPONDENCE
5. Pp. 40-75 FAITHFULNESS-DECISION-FULFILLMENT
6. Pp. 76-86 RECONCILIATION IN-ITSELF / OUT-OF-ITSELF/ RETURNING-TO-GODSELF
7. Pp. 87-117 JUSTIFICATION-CONVERSION-BEARING OF PROMISE
8. PP. 118-138 HUMILIATION-EXALTATION-SON OF GOD
9. PP. 138-158 FORMS OF SIN / APPROPRIATION OF GRACE/ VERDICT AND PROMISE
10. PP. 160-190 DEITY-DOXA-ACTUALIZED GLORY
11. Pp. 194-214 SUBSTANCE-SUBORDINATION-MAGNIFICATION
12. Pp. 216-236 JUDGE IN-HIMSELF / INCARNATE EMBRACING / MAGNIFYING GLORY
13. PP. 237-251 DISCLOSURE / TRUE-BEING / EXALTATION AS LIBERATION
14. PP. 251-276 FASTING IN WILDERNESS/ PRAYER OF AGONY / REPRESENTATION
15. PP. 277-297 CHRISTOLOGICAL SPHERE / ANTHROPOLOGICAL SPHERE / OUTWARD-ASPECT
16. PP. 303-323 ONE HISTORY / SEQUENCE / PAROUSIA COMMUNITY
17. PP. 324-350 HOPE / PAROUSIA / RECONCILING WORD OF JUDGEMENT
BARTH’S “DOGMATICS” IS A PROVEN MASTERPIECE; his successor Jurgen Moltmann will testify to that. I suggest that any serious student of theology “MUST” study the “Dogmatics”, rather than rely on secondary sources for interpretations of Barth. 5 huge stars – wonderful.
The new Study Edition of Church Dogmatics contains English translations of these passages for those of us who are not fluent in the original languages. The original page numbering is preserved for ease and consistency of reference.
This 33 volume project will open Barth's magisterial thinking to new generations of scholars. It is a landmark achievement.
His whole series is outstanding! It does take me a while to read, but I am becoming more familiar with this style and his series is becoming easier to read with each volume!