Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 11-20 of 43 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 53 reviews
on July 18, 2016
There is a considerable amount of information that I haven't read about in biographies about Winston Churchill. This information, personal details, family relationships, multiple residences, circumstances and the time periods associated with them, personal travels, all enhanced my understanding and perspective of the man while reading Manchester's biographies.
on February 6, 2016
I really enjoyed this book. There are a great many photos and interesting vignettes. Learned lots about Churchill- his taste in fashion, booze, food and cigars. I highly recommend it this read on a great British statesman.
on February 8, 2017
Would have liked more images & more ref. to style & clothing. This was more like another biography of the great man (repeating much of the same info found in the other bio's) and less of a Churchill's style reference book. More & bigger & better pictures would have been appreciated too.
on December 13, 2012
Fans of the Great Man will want this book, at least if they are interested in the books he actually read, the wine and spirits he drank, the clothes he wore. At the same time, readers get a pretty complete biography of Churchill -- it's nothing to compare to Martin Gilbert or William Manchester, but it does fit into some 200 profusely illustrated pages. I loved it!

Perhaps the most surprising fact which emerges is that Churchill made almost all of his money through writing. We tend to think of him as a politician (which of course he was) but his writing paid the bills for his opulent lifestyle.
on December 25, 2012
Winston Spencer Churchill was a journalist, a public servant, a soldier, a sailor, an aviation enthusiast, an author, an historian and ultimately the key leader in defense of freedom and democracy in the 1930s and 1940s. His enduring wit and charcter were shaped by his tastes in literature, in friends and even in the finer things in life. This book documents much of his evolution in style while discussing the rise and fall of his fortunes. An excellent book, it even gives you the internet addresses of many establishments which supplied Churchill over the years. A must-have for any Churchill enthusiast!
on April 11, 2014
This book gives the personal glimpses of Churchill that other biographies overlook. You might say it humanizes Churchill, not that he even needed that ! However I recently thumbed through Churchill's book History of the English Language and I found quite by accident a comment by Churchill about his reading...he said he read Sense and Sensibilty (Austen)and that his daughter Sara was reading Pride and Prejudice to him....In Singer's book it says his daughter is reading Sense and Sensibility to him, and there is no mention of Pride and Prejudice.
on January 11, 2014
My dad's been reading the Manchester series on Churchill, and I've been trying to find something to match his satisfaction with those books. The writing style is a bit simpler in this book (which is actually a downside in the case of my father), but it has a different focus and includes many high quality photographs. I feel like it's a great photographic companion to the Manchester books, and would be a fantastic gift for history buffs, especially Churchill fans.

Cheers!
on September 17, 2012
I have read many Churchill biographies, but none as unusual as this. And I must say, it has been
a fun and rewarding experience.

The author skillfully weaves the events of Churchill's long life with the whiskey, cigars,
clothes, books , friends, and passtimes he enjoyed. What one gets is a delightful reading
experience. In a way, you get to know the man better.

I have not enjoyed a book as much as this in a while. I am so glad I read it.
on September 9, 2015
I found this to be an excellent description of a side of Sir Winston Churchill that is not often written about. I greatly enjoyed the history and descriptions of Mr. Churchill's fine taste in clothing. Would highly recommend this for anyone who enjoys timeless men's fashion.

John S.
on January 26, 2016
I gave two of these away as Christmas gifts but I have only heard back from one recipient. He said I 'hit a home run' with that book and he would really enjoy reading it. Score one for you and me!