Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 48 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 327 reviews
on August 9, 2014
I have had this album in digital form for many years. It has always been one of my absolute favorites. I think this is The Shins' best work. In my opinion, this is their masterpiece. Whenever I introduce people to The Shins, I point them to this album. If you are looking at this you are most likely familiar with this album. So you know how good it is. If you were brought here because of other Shins' albums or Broken Bells, just buy this album. If you like The Shins, you will like this album.

I have been buying all my favorite albums on vinyl. My digital collection of music is fairly large, over 20k songs. But as I get older and venture into my 30s, I am feeling more and more detached from my digital music. Buying this (and many others) on vinyl was just what the doctor ordered. There is just something about the big artwork and actually holding something that just makes it better. Spinning this on the turntable is like experiencing it for the first time. James Mercer's voice is amazing on this album. The clarity of this vinyl is astounding. It doesn't sound like it's been compressed much, if at all. I have listened to this from start to finish numerous times now. Although it doesn't appear to be 180 gram vinyl, it is fairly sturdy. And it plays brilliantly without any noise or skipping. The album artwork has always been one of the reasons I've always been drawn to this album. It's quirky and original. And you can spot this album instantly by the artwork. Which is a nice trait for an album to have. It makes it stand apart from the masses. The box itself is bright and colorful and made with thick cardboard. It is a gatefold and has the lyrics for all the tracks inside. The vinyl itself was housed in a thick clear plastic sleeve.

If you have a way to play it, buy this album on vinyl before it is too late. This won't be around forever. Plus, it is a different experience to hear this on vinyl.

Amazon's vinyl packaging was excellent as always.
on July 14, 2015
I got into The Shins after this album and I'm grateful, because I don't think I would've appreciated it as much, or possibly would've not given the band a try had I started with this one. I honestly recommend that a new fan work backwards from their latest album to their debut album, but I also respect and understand that fans who were with them from the beginning tend to think that they have betrayed their original sound. That being said, sometimes music is a funny thing and you have to find your way to love them in your own way, and on your own terms - like an acquired taste. That being said, I adore all their albums with all of my heart and they have definitely enriched my life with their music.
on February 5, 2005
There's something timeless about this album, something about its beautiful lyrics and poppy melodies that tells you that The Shins will remain fresh and good long after most of the other "the" bands (The Strokes, The Vines, The Hives) start sounding stale and tired.

Just as some people can look good wearing unmatching thrift-store clothes, some bands can sound good with an album of wildly disparate songs. The Shins do, and it's no mean feat. There are differences in structure and tone from song to song, techniques ranging from the light and beautiful interplay of keyboard, vocals and violin on "St. Simon" to the countrified slide guitar of "Gone for Good." And yet "Chutes too Narrow" still hangs together extraordinarily well, sounding like an album and not just like a collection of great songs.

Like so many classics, though, it doesn't reveal all of its treasures at once. Instead it hoards some jealously, only yielding them to those patient and persistent enough to keep coming back with an open mind and open ears. And on this album, it's the lyrics that most reward such patience. Even after dozens of listens, one hears new things, wonderfully written lines that echo one's own life experiences, unique and original lines that can nonetheless be plucked out and used to describe so many other things. On "Pink Bullets," for instance, James Mercer says that "The years have been short, but the days were long," and most listeners will feel like he's singing directly from their experiences, rather than from his own. Or when he sings "I find a fatal flaw in the logic of love and go out of my mind," most people will know again what he's talking about, because he perfectly captures the irrationality of human feeling, covering a well-covered subject but making it feel like virgin territory.

This album's brevity (it clocks in at a little over 33 minutes) may disappoint many--Led Zeppelin probably had live songs that lasted longer. But the quality more than makes up for the shortness--it's more rewarding to play this album twice than it is to give many others the once-over.
on March 14, 2017
I wouldn't buy this album. I bought it twice and the disc was warped both times. I think there is some kind of manufacturers defect.
on June 20, 2004
I bought "Oh, Inverted World" and it quickly started to grow on me. After a few runs through I started to hear some pretty clever chords and I got in to James Mercer's voice. I read glowing reviews on Amazon and began to agree. When I ordered it, I expected "Chutes Too Narrow" to be equally melancholy, intelligent and overall listenable.
I was utterly shocked at what arrived. It wasn't "solid" or "good"... it was ASTOUNDING. Nothing less. This album engulfs the listener. The opening track, "Kissing the Lipless", is solid and interesting but leads perfectly into "Mines Not A High Horse". It only gets better from there, with the upbeat "So Says I". The entire album is a collage of excitement, melancholy, some hard edges and some sunshine pop. For my money, track six ("Fighting In A Sack") is one of the best songs I've heard in my LIFE. Brilliant. But from start to finish, the CD was extremely good, listenable, and is now among the top 10 discs of an amateur audiophile's 1000+ CD collection.
Then I saw them perform in Norfolk last week. Their live performance secured my opinion that this band is one of the best, if not THE best, in indie rock. Period. I had somewhat expected the albums to be heavily studio-edited, and expected the performance to be rougher and missing some of the detail one hears on edited discs. Not with the shins. Every chord, every hook, every keyboard note, every drum beat, and even a good deal of embellishing, came out in their stage performance.
Buy this disc, love it, and love the Shins! I'd stake my reputation on it! ;)
on June 18, 2017
❤️
on July 22, 2017
Fantastic album. Sounds great.
review image review image
on June 29, 2017
Received as advertised and described
on March 30, 2017
Vinyl was warped. Thanks for the wall art.
on January 13, 2017
The vinyl was the thinnest in have in my collection and is seriously warped. The convex side will at least play and it sounds great side b not so much. Hope to exchange it.