Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Cinema Paradiso (Extended Cut)
Amazon Vehicles Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Dolly Parton Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

VINE VOICEon July 12, 2013
One of the finest films about the enduring love, and need, for cinema, `Cinema Paradiso' is a film about loving movies that makes me love movies! There are few films that can capture every element of nostalgic euphoria while adding layers of emotional relevance, and this is one that nails both aspects in a beautifully balanced film that stands the tests of time and singlehandedly preserves the absolute need for cinema in our lives.

Giuseppe Tornatore's film follows young Toto as he grows into a man in wartime Italy. He strikes up a friendship with Alfredo, the town projectionist. Toto loves film, and more than that he loves the cinema (they are two separate entities linked together by a common thread) and so after much persuasion and plenty of headaches, Toto convinces Alfredo to teach him the ropes of showing films. As Toto falls further in love with the world depicted on the screen in front of him, his own life begins to mirror that which he sees on screen. His life moves on, obviously, and yet his love for film and the effect that it has had on his life (including the memory of Alfredo) never leaves him.

Tornatore magically weaves a fully fleshed out story that feels so complete and relatable. He finds a way to make Toto's unique childhood feel warm and inviting and, most importantly, relatable. We can feel the same joys that Toto feels as he allows the warmth of film to fill his soul, and as he ages, loves, loses and moves on we can feel the nostalgic emotional connection to the life he left behind and the memories that he holds so dear.

Philippe Noiret delivers one of the finest performances put to film as the paternal Alfredo. He grounds the film, giving a moral backdrop and serving a key purpose in the film's storytelling. As young Toto grows into a man, he never forgets the impact that Alfredo had on him, and it is only strengthened for the viewer thanks to Noiret's graceful delivery and his earthy tone. He comforts the film, if that makes sense, holding it close enough to validate Toto's admiration and our endearment.

From the stunning sets to the beautiful way the film is shot, and that devastating score, `Cinema Paradiso' is the definition of perfection, a film that loves movies and highlights the very reasons why we do too!
on July 18, 2015
This is a must see and a very important film to watch. A must have for any video library. I have seen it many times and every time I have see it it has taken me away from this world and catapulted into Toto's world. There are two versions of this movie. One is the directors cut, and one is the regular version. If you want to know what really happened to the main characters in the movie and seeing it in view of the directors eyes, get the long version. I preferred the cinema version and felt strangely sobered up watching the directors cut.
on July 18, 2013
This is a movie-lover's movie. I grew up in a small Mid-west town with one movie theater. We got some of the movies almost a year after their original release. A cross-section of our town went regularly and it was a social event. Watching this movie reminded me of many nights in our theater. Lots of personalities, we often had the same reaction, laughing, crying etc. In the movie the theater was a gathering point for the diverse personalities of the town. The relationship between the projectionist and the young boy was very touching. As the boy grew to a man, he continued to love his mentor. The final scene viewing all of the scenes that the town priest had banned was wonderful and very emotional. The music was great. The casting and acting made the film fun to watch and it was easy to become emotionally invested. I bought this as a birthday gift for a friend. I wanted to share this experience with her.
on April 8, 2013
This film comes as near to perfection in cinema as anything I've seen. Sensitive, artistic, earthy, heart wrenching love story and such a beautiful musical score. Of course , the actors were what made it all come to life - even those in subordinate roles. An actual depiction of life in Italy. From the coarse to the refined - from the fantasy to the reality. Film makers today should use it as a template for their work today. I am proud to own it and have watched it over and over and have lent it to many friends who share my enthusiasm for such a piece of art.
on February 22, 2014
I believe Cinema Pardiso is the greatest film about films and our love of films as people. It is touching, funny, poignant, hilarious, heartbreaking and most of all, it is not like a fable, it is grounded in reality and in how life truly is for ous and our films.The film is a real journey through one life, the life of a town, and the lives in the town who loved their movie trheater. It is simply a classic in the workd of filmmaking and for real and for true a must see film if you love films.
on January 9, 2014
Bought two copies as one will go to my grown up daughter. We both have Cinema Paradiso on the top of our lists for favorite movies. The child is so endearing, he warms my heart. The adult actors are well established and talented making this a funny and romantic film an all time favorite.

Yes, it has subtitles -- the only way to feel the passion of the original voices, yet you can quickly read the details of the conversations in English.
on January 8, 2014
A wonderful story, a wonderful Italian story, a wonderful example of cinematic brilliance. It should be on your shelf for
your family, for something to watch on a snowed in or stormy night..with someone you care about. This film is so often cited
by buffs that one should have watched both versions (see listing) and draw one's own conclusion. But watch it.
on February 4, 2014
This homage to the Cinema, what if meant to individuals and to a society in a certain place and time, is hauntingly exquisite, brilliant, creative, and mesmerizing. The score by Ernio Morricone is exquisite, and the themes become characters. The acting, especially by the great Philippe Noiret is Perfection itself. A classic.
on January 5, 2012
Love the movie. Unfortunately (for me), the new extended version was too much. If you have never seen this movie, I strongly recommend it! Any person who has emigrated their town, homeland, state, or city will be able to relate... childhood memories and perspectives to adulthood. Make sure you have tissues with you!
On the other hand, Amazon had send me one less movie than what I order. However contacting them, they took care of it and send me the missing one(s) right away! They were gifts for friends.
on April 12, 2014
One of the best films ever about film itself. It's a great story about a kid's love affair with film and how it affected his life for better (He became a director.) and for worse (It cost him the love of his life.).