Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Cinema Paradiso - The New Version
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Ingrid Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM

Format: DVD|Change

on January 22, 2005
This review applies to "Cinema Paradiso - The New Version." There are two issues with this DVD. The first is that the extended version of the original movie, which this DVD provides, includes almost an hour of additional footage and the resulting story is very different from the original. There's plenty of debate among other reviewers about the net effect of these changes, but frankly, I think if you've already won an academy award for the first version you should leave it alone.

The second issue is that the DVD has surprising technical shortcomings. Unless you speak Italian you'll be watching it with subtitles. And if you've got a widescreen TV half of the bottom line of each subtitle will be below the bottom of the screen. You can reformat the display so that the subtitles are fully visible, but then the film is letterboxed.

In addition, a number of the scenes seemed to be grainy and have very poor color intensity. Considering that this DVD is billed as the "digitally remastered, fully restored" version, it's all the more disappointing.

Overall, I'd recommend buying the original un-remastered, unrestored, unextended version instead.
on March 15, 2007
If you love movies, you have to see this movie,very sweet and all the characters are endearing.
on August 25, 1999
I first saw Cinema Paradiso in an empty college lecture hall, one of the only to show up for a class called Philosophy & Film. I had no expectations, but I did not think I'd be as tightly gripped and emotionally locked-in to this film-- nothing from it seems contrived or less than sincere. The most perfect description is 'Sentimental', in the best sense of the word. Like Duke Ellington is sentimental. And the original score will break your heart just two bars into it. Perfect.
Speaking of: Charlie Haden and Pat Methany play the 2 beautiful themes of Cinema Paradiso on "Beyond the Missouri Sky" (Verve).
on August 16, 2014
A movie with charm and passion,a story of life and love. It will make you laugh and cry.this movie should be shown as a model of classic film making,the music score is very moving and the script gets an a plus.
on August 31, 2001
I've had an italian class for about 2 years and i've seen this movie like a billion times and everytime i see it, it's like i'm seeing it for the first time again. I love this movie! And I haven't gotten bored of it yet and it's a shame that they cut half an hour from this masterpiece because the original version shows toto reuniting with his long lost girlfriend. Also since it is a masterpiece they should make a new dvd having this movie remastered and adding the extra half an hour. And yeah it's a great movie to see with your female. Believe me you're going to like this movie, get it.
on March 15, 2005
I first saw this movie in a college film class that emphasized the relationship between film and music. Immediately, it became my favorite film. The finale is the best thing I've ever seen portrayed in film. We watched it the first time without volume, and it was good in itself. But when we watched it again with the music there was not a dry eye in the room. I've seriously watched it over 100 times, and it never looses it's beauty. To anyone who hasn't seen this film, please do! And if you don't agree, and it doesn't bring you to tears than there is sometging seriously wrong.
on January 26, 2001
I have watched this movie probably a hundred times and everytime it moved me to tears by the end. It's one of the best movies of all times -- and not just foreign films. It's nostalgic, sentimental (but not pretentious), warm... I can't find a single word that would describe this movie. The first time I saw it, the ending simply surprised me and made me cry. And ever since, everytime I saw it, tears would come without warning. A truly magical movie -- about love, loss, passion, dreams, memories, kindness, and just being human.
I would have voted it Best Picture.
on April 9, 2001
Being a newcomer to foreign films, I read reviews to assist me in selecting those cinematic films that seem worth purchasing. That being said: I am not a critic, let alone an "expert" in foreign films, however, I had to "review" this movie because it is such a gem! I won't analyse nor try to explain the movie. All I want to say is I LOVE this movie!! Whether you are a beginner or a veteran to foreign films, I highly recommend this film as one of your MUST-SEE's!! I am proud to add this DVD to my collection and will share it with the world.
on March 5, 2003
So many reviews have been written about this film, but since reviews for both VHS and DVD are all mashed together, it's hard to know which version they are referring to.
The restored complete version of this film, nearly 3 hours long, completely fleshes out the film with 51 minutes of added footage.
Most of the restored footage comes near the end when the grown "Toto" finds his lost love, Elena.("nuff said!)
Suffice it to say that a great film has been made better, and will certainly replace the theatrical version on your shelf!
on May 17, 2002
Of all the Italian movies that have been released in recent times, this ranks as one of the best, and is certainly superior to Il Postino. The 2 films are similar, with the protagonist being a young boy/man with artistic leanings who learns from an older mentor. In this case, the story is the celebration of a boy's love for cinema in an isolated Sicilian town. Sounds simple, and it is,but OH WHAT A MOVIE!!! If you are a lover of Italy or cinema or both, don't miss this! Also a great score by Ennio Morricone (The Mission, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly).