Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Digital Albums PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon ballerss3 ballerss3  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 91 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 138 reviews
on October 30, 2011
avishly produced and illustrated, Cinematography covers the entire range of the profession. The book is not just a comprehensive guide to current professional practice; it goes beyond to explain the theory behind the practice, so you understand how the rules came about and when it's appropriate to break them. In addition, directors will benefit from the book's focus on the body of knowledge they should share with their Director of Photography.

Cinematography presents the basics and beyond, employing clear explanations of standard practice together with substantial illustrations and diagrams to reveal the real world of film production.
Recognizing that professionals know when to break the rules and when to abide by them, this book discusses many examples of fresh ideas and experiments in cinematography. Covering the most up-to-date information on the film/digital interface, new formats, the latest cranes and camera support and other equipment, it also illustrates the older tried and true methods.
on March 17, 2015
Other reviews do point out that there are still some irritating, uncorrected errors in the text and associations with figures. I took this as a challenge to better understand the material by trying to decipher what was correct or incorrect, so this was not a show-stopper for me - in other words, I turned this issue into an opportunity by letting these issues become a learning exercise for me. Beyond that, though, the material in this book is clearly from a very knowledgeable professional in the field, which provided me, a novice, with a fine reference guide to all the key areas, aspects and tools of cinematography, and the film making process. Thank you Blain! I will (and already have) recommended this book to others.
on April 13, 2017
everything in one book, maybe too much even)) really from beginning gets to very complex equipment staff, after a year, i am still half book through, i think if you aint doing videos 100% of your time, you might skip on this
on October 8, 2012
It was so cheap and helped me so much in filmmaking. I loved it. Some sections of it were not as helpful as others, but in all its a really helpful resource.
I ordered this and a couple other filmmaking books. I liked this one the best. The "DSLR Cinema: Crafting the Film Look with Video" was not helpful AT ALL. The author just talked and talked about the gear and about philip bloom. It was also very misleading, and implied that you needed everything in the book to make a film, when all you really need is a camera and and idea.I've gotten more useful information from random videos on youtube than in that book, about both gear and filmmaking on a budget on DSLRS. This book actually talked about filmmaking, and wasn't just a useless catalog of photography gear.

You can tell from the other reviews that this is a great book. Buy it.

DSLR Cinema: Crafting the Film Look with Video - I found this not useful at all. For 20 bucks, it's very cheap, but it doesn't even come near the amount of useful information this has in it. It talks much more about the gear you'll need than actually using it. (if that made sense)

Anyways, this is a great book and I'd recommend it to anyone interested in filmmaking.
on November 24, 2011
This is a true update of a true classic performed by a true professional and teacher. The first edition has been my creative companion for several years. It has been my go-to resource for reinforcing the basics, and serves as a yardstick to measure my current level of knowledge. The first time I read it (one sitting, while waiting at LAX) I understood some stuff, but it did set my course toward cinematographer, and established the framework for the stuff I had to learn and experience in order to craft stunning images that tell compeling stories. I'm still working on that; and the worn, marked-up pages are falling out of my first edition.

Second edition is not simply an update to encompass more of digital cinematography. Many of the explanations and descriptions have been refined, and do a superior job of helping one to grasp the concepts.

There are a few typos and grammar gotchas and oversights bla, bla, bla. Who cares? The content is what counts, and the content is superb.

No matter what the occupation (this is my fifth career), the devil IS in the details - usually boiling down to basics. We generally don't screw up the fancy stuff, it's usually overlooking something basic that causes screw-ups. Blain Brown attempts and succeeds in helping the reader build a solid foundation of basic cinematographic knowledge and toolsets. He provides the foundation, it's up to us to build the structure. It's what a good teacher does, and it's why I usually re-read cover-to-cover once a year or so.

It's a good book for beginners even though it's a little advanced. It takes a lot of lighting and shooting and time in the trenches to figure all this stuff out. There will be "oh yeah" moments when you discover something and it clicks with something you read before.

For the intermediate level, it's a perfect text and reference.

For advanced practitioners? I guess that depends on that person's needs. To me, "advanced" is ASC members and others at that level of professional expertise. Folks at that level mostly seem to be down to earth, still learning, and solidly grounded in the basics.

Yeah, I think this book is great! I would recommend it to anyone who is serious about visual storytelling at any level. Thank you, Mr. Brown, for caring enought to share, to inform, and to inspire.
on September 24, 2016
Wow, blown away by the level of detail in this book. I've been learning cinematography on my own for the past year and the level of detail in this book is just astounding. I know that hands-on experience is the best teacher, but for a single book to convey this level of detail is really helpful in grasping a lot of concepts that would be hard to get if you aren't a professional cinematographer and don't work on a film set.
on September 27, 2011
Not that the book isn't informative about Cinematography and everything associated with it but the poor organization leaves something to be desired. The repetition of information within the same chapter isn't nearly so unbearable as the text vs picture layout; the text will reference images on different pages which may seem menial at first, but after six chapters of having to backtrack two to three pages to figure out what a particular paragraph is describing it becomes more than a little bothersome. There's also a spattering of typos that never should have made it past the second draft.

This may just be a personal peeve of mine but the repetition of images is also annoying. Either use a different image or point out all the unique characteristics of a certain picture within the paragraph it's being discussed, otherwise it feels like the author only had the rights to the same two dozen images which is in no way adequate for a book whose primary purpose is to describe a visual art.

Overall it presents the information in a fairly understandable manner, but if I'd had an option in books I would have gone with an alternative.
on June 25, 2017
Lighting styles, camera techniques, choosing the right camera lenses, using cookies (no, not the ones grandma makes), getting the glare off windows, how to take a photo or shoot footage that would make Ansel Adams smile.
on September 2, 2017
interesting introduction, but perhaps could be a bit deeper.
on September 26, 2013
As a 2d/3d Artist constantly creating content , images and dealing with cameras in both 2d plane and 3d virtual environment creation, I was always concern about having the right framing to tell the right story and having the right composition. Since I bought this book , it gave me a totally new perspective what to look forward in creating believable and interesting camera composition for my virtual creations. Now I am able to understand more and have a reference book to go back in , in moments of doubt. This is a well written book that is very easy to understand and relate to, even if you are totally new to the world of cinematography. A must have for both the creative environment shot design artist, the movie director, and anything inbetween. Even architectural visualisation could benefit from it.