Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Linksys WRT54GL Wi-Fi Wireless-G Broadband Router
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

Capacity: 54GL|Model: Wi-Fi Wireless-G Broadband Router|Change

on November 3, 2013
Most reliable router ever! You just can't beat the linksys wrt54g/gl models they might be older models but are to this day rock solid and more stable wifi connections then any of the new ones out today.
on February 7, 2009
There are dozens of consumer-grade routers out there, and this has to be one of the best. My old Netgear was starting to have problems locking up on large file transfers. I have a Squeezebox-based network home audio system, streaming CD-quality (FLAC) music to various rooms of the house, so I need something that can handle these large transfers reliably. Based on friends' recommendations I went with this Linksys WRT54GL. It has performed reliably and hasn't needed to be rebooted at all in its one year of use. I spent the $10 extra to get the "L" model with user-modifiable firmware because I'm an inveterate tweaker. A few months ago I changed the firmware to Tomato 1.21, and have used that to boost the signal strength and tweak some other things. It's not as stylish looking as the newer models, but it's a classic.
on December 2, 2013
Excellent router for the price. Can install Linux firmware. Open for configuration. Good hardware - have used it for years.
on August 6, 2012
I set-up this router as soon as I got it. I used the cd-rom that came with it, and it was so easy! Just follow the instructions and I was up and using the wireless internet in no time! I haven't had any issues with range of this router either.
So, all-in-all, I would definetly recommend this router for home use.
on December 26, 2012
Works great, I have had several different types of networking equipment and I was using a D-Link before I purchased this router but it kept needing to be rebooted. This Liknksys router has been stable and has worked great so far!
on April 20, 2010
I bought this router about a month ago and have had no problems.I installed it on my desktop Dell running Vista. The setup wizard properly detected and configured all my settings. The desktop is a dual-boot Vista/Ubuntu 8.10 and I spend most of my time over on Linux. Ubuntu 8.10 also works fine. I bought the router so that my spouse's Asus 2005 netbook would have wireless. The netbook runs a dual Windows XP/Ubuntu Netbook Remix. Both configurations work fine with the WRT54GL. She gets about 185 kb/sec two floors away from the router on Fairpoint's not-so-hot DSL connection.After installation we lost both power and telephone connection in a storm. The router came back up without problems when service was restored. No problems with dropped connections. I don't know what else you could ask of a home router.
on July 8, 2008
I love this router. I just bougth my 5th one of these. When anyone asks for help setting up their wireless network, I get two of these bad boys. I put one for near the TV for xbox360, tivo, xbox, ps2, etc. and I put the other one at the cable modem/dsl modem etc. to share the internet.

Tomato is awesome and I buy this router specifically so I can flash it. I use one router as an actual router and the other one as an access point. This hardware is great because it runs the firmware I want. It's easy to flash and easy to use.

I love tomato because of the QOS. It makes it to where I can tell both routers that the most important traffic is VOIP and then XBOX live. This means that even if I'm downloading my legal torrents, I can be online blasting people in halo and talking on my VOIP phone.
on May 31, 2011
I assumed that all routers would work with my ISP,which does not require a modem,but they do not.Also,information about this is difficult to find.
The WRT54GL works perfectly.All you have to do is make the router become the PPPOE client and not the PC and to do that you check "never dial a connection" in Internet Options and select PPPOE in the Linksys GUI setup page under Internet Connection Type.
I've been using the router for two weeks now and have had no problems.I did update the firmware from Linksys and that was very easy.
I considered updating to Tomato,but the default x-mission power is just fine.We have a single story house about 2000sqft and my wife can connect and stay connected throughout with her laptop.
I did not rate reliability since it's new,but I'm optimistic.Time will tell.
on July 21, 2010
My old WRT54g went south after 6 years of great service. Linksys support suggested the new 120n so I bought it from linksys support. I check some reviews on the 120n and they were all crap. When it arrived it took 2 hours to setup, signal level was terrible and it dropped signal. I sent it back after only 2 days. I read reviews on this one and most all were good. When I received the WRT54gl it took 2 minutes to setup and had great signal and no drops. I removed the stock firmware and replaced it with dd-wrt third party firmware, now it does everything I need it to do. That will void warranty but Linksys firmware is limited. I do run linux on this machine so I don't have any idea how it works on other Operating Systems. Wife and kids use Apple's and it was a snap for them to connect through Airport.
on January 24, 2008
This product is absolutely brilliant, only if you have the courage and know-how to flash it with 3rd party firmware. I currently have DD-WRT running on it and i havnt encountered a single problem with it in the past year and a half that it has been in use. The router is currently being used as a bridge to connect my XBox to my home network (which has also been modded with xbox media center software). I now have a home-network-entertainment system that would cost me hundreds of dollars more, and works hundreds of times better than anything else out on the market right now. My only complaint is that it doesnt have a USB port for external harddrive networking, if you're looking for this functionality, take a look at WRTSL54GS and [...]
It takes a bit more effort, but you get usb network drive support!