Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Linksys WRT54GL Wi-Fi Wireless-G Broadband Router
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Chris Staples Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

Capacity: 54GL|Model: Wi-Fi Wireless-G Broadband Router|Change

on January 17, 2012
I have purchased and installed dozens of these and similar Linksys routers from other vendors. All were perfect out of the box until this one that I got from Amazon.
This last one was for a client who needed it ASAP.
Unfortunately, I have egg on my face and an unhappy client who thinks I charged him for a used device. I'm out hours of time plus expense of buying a replacement elsewhere, , because not only is it defective (wired connections don't work at all), but it already had a wireless network named "Murphys" installed on it. Obviously, someone had sent it back and Amazon just re-boxed it and resold it to ME.
There are not enough words, either polite or impolite, to express my annoyance, frustration and utter astonishment that Amazon would do such a thing.
After years of being a happy, satisfied customer, I am beginning to wonder.
After I send it back, will they just gleefully saddle yet another unsuspecting customer with this thing?
44 comments| 136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 1, 2006
I purchased the WRT54G at our local bestbuy store and had nothing but trouble, family would complain of very slow speeds and occasionally the unit would need a reboot to get it working again. Very frustrated, I took it back and the person at the store told us to buy the WRT54GL same parts but different software inside? Plugged it into our network and have never had a problem since, why would linksys keep selling the WRT54G with this much trouble? Oh well 5 stars for the WRT54GL.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on November 15, 2015
Received the Linksys ACS1900ACS router and installed on 11/3/2015. Impressed with it until on 11/12/2015, noticed the 2.4GHZ side was down and had no signal, as observed on the front panel of the router. I have only three devices presently connected, two laptops on the 5GHZ side and one IPHONE on the 2.4GHZ, thus no WIFI for the IPHONE. I tried powering off and on the router with no success, but did notice that at times the 2.4HGZ side would come up, but then drop again. Upon my initial install of the router, I noticed that my original firmware revision was at 1.0.0.168229. On 11/13/2015, I called Linksys tech support and worked with Mike. He immediately wanted me to logon to the router and check the firmware revision, which happens to be the newest of 1.0.0.169041, which he thought was just pushed out a day or two previously. He had me go into the settings for the 2.4GHZ side and change the channel width from auto to 20MHZ only and we also tried different channels from 9 to 3 to 6 to 11, and the 2.4GHZ side was still dropping in and out. I even reset and reloaded the router with the same previous effect, 2.4GHZ side drops in and out. I told him that I wanted to revert back to the old firmware revision, because it was working fine, To accomplish this, it is located in the troubleshooting section under the diagnostic tab (restore previous firmware). Since doing that I have had no problems with the 2.4GHZ side dropping in and out. My router works just as great as it did when I first installed it. I have turned off automatic updates for my router and believe that Linksys has a firmware problem with revision 1.0.0.169041. I plan on staying on this revision 1.0.0.168229, otherwise I like this router, Linksys needs to do more thorough testing before pushing their revisions out to the field and having us troubleshoot THEIR problems.
66 comments| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2005
I recently purchased this wireless router for my home network and have been very pleased with its performance. The router was easy to set - it was up and running within an hour, with secure admin login, WPA-PSK security and AES encryption out of the box. The signal range is also great. I was at least 50 yards away and had a strong signal through trees and apartments without the slightest hint of degradation.

Also if you like to mess with things, the third-party firmware updates are great. They will increase the performance of this router to a level greater than its competitors.

Do yourself a favor and buy this router, and you won't be sorry.
VINE VOICEon May 7, 2006
Pros:

- Compatible with third-party, open source firmware that gives you extra features.

- Fast transfer speeds over wireless.

- Easy to set up.

Cons:

- A bit expensive, considering that this router is pretty much the same as older WRT54G routers.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on December 1, 2015
What a horrible experience with this router. Upon installation, the connection was slow, unreliable, and hardly extended to the next room. I was getting clean 60mbps at the wired connection, and maybe 10 on wifi, sometimes less than 1. Not what I expected from a top of the line, highly rated router. After over an hour on tech support, I obliged the low level tech in changing wifi channels (I live in a residential area with maybe 2 other routers), reinstalling firmware, and at one point she even tried to convince me that since I would get 30mbps on the 5ghz network at the highest channel setting, that it was working fine!! After I explained that not all devices support 5ghz, and that that was totally unacceptable, she put me on hold TWICE more looking for a senior tech, both times coming back, saying no one was available, and proceeding to suggest more ridiculous, simplistic things!! When I spend this much money on a router, I expect it to work perfectly out of the box, and I can't express how frustrated and disappointed I am with this experience, I have no choice but to return it, and I don't imagine I will ever buy anything Linksys again.
33 comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 26, 2016
Do not purchase this router. Linksys has either produced a product with defective hardware or defective software. The 5 GHZ channel locks up and will not let any devices connect. This issue occurs anywhere from 12 hours to 48 hours after you restart your router. The only way to fix the issue is to restart the router. I have the latest firmware and have called the Linksys support many times. There does not seem to be a fix for this issue. I thought my issues were due to a bad router so I returned my first router for a replacement through Amazon. Now, I am having the same exact issues with the new router so that tells me it is a systemic issue. It can't be an issue with the number of devices connected to the router since I only have about 15 which is not very many for a router of this class.

I now have returned the second router I received. Not only were there issues with the 5 GHZ channel but every time I plugged an external USB drive into the router it crashed and froze up. This is way too expensive of a router to have the issues it has. The main reason I bought the router was to use 5 GHZ channel and also to make my external backup drive accessible over my network. Neither of these features worked so I would recommend staying away from this router at all cost.
77 comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 3, 2012
I have this router, and it's performed flawlessly. However...

Just recently, Cisco/Linksys has begun updating their router's firmware without their permission. The firmware locks you out until you open a cloud account with them, and accepting all that gives your consent for them to track your Internet usage. I'm switching out my router ASAP, as there's no reason a company's sneaky tactics like this should be rewarded.
33 comments| 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 6, 2009
I've been using this router for about 2 years and every once in a while it will absolutely refuse to connect to the internet, even though all the lights are on. About 5 hours later it will spontaneously work again. This is clearly the router and not the internet service, because the internet service works fine if the router is disconnected from between the modem and computer, you just can't use it with any laptops for a while. Today I installed a new modem, and was incredibly annoyed to find that the router would not connect to the internet. I called the tech support line, was told by a difficult to understand agent that I would have to pay $30 as I've had the router more than a year. An hour later the router spontaneously began working again. Even if I was able to put up with the random lack of connection every few months, I would never recommend this product because of the rude and expensive Technical support.
on April 6, 2011
We have also had trouble with 2 of these routers, each after about 2 years of use. I don't know what the life of a router is, but I would hope longer than a couple of years. Both times we experienced freezing, and internet gradually got slower and slower, connectivity dropped many times, etc. When internet is hooked up directly to the modem, it runs fast. We almost bought a new computer thinking that was our issue. Glad we figured it out! I won't be buying another one like this.
44 comments| 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse