Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 154 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 251 reviews
on March 31, 2011
This router is a SNAP to install and get started. It took me less than 5 minutes to get it up and running. It links seamlessly with my Motorola Surfboard sb6120 DOCSIS 3.0 modem. I have only had to power cycle this modem 3 times in the 6 months I have had it. It stays connected to the network and with my modem with little to no maintenance at all. It had a guest feature so that you don't have to give out your original passcode. I have all of devices hooked-up to it: My iPhone, iPad, wireless HP printer, Sony Vaio, Sony Bravia, Sony PS3. It can handle it all. And my Norton Internet security map shows me all the activity going on with the network. There are advanced settings you can mess round with. (I am an IT major) but I found no need to even get into them. Everything is done for you via the flash drive that doubles as a Cisco "Easy Setup Key"...But even if you don't use the key, it is so simple to find your passcode from the cisco connect software and add a device. There is also a button on the router you can press that will allow you to suspend the security of the router for a short period of time so that you can add a device without having to know the passcode. (The program does select a rather random, long and non-memorize-able passcode) So this added feature is a huge plus. I have a decent size apartment so the valet works great for me. If you have a large place you may want to consider the valet plus or one of the routers from the e series. I looked at them and they had a lot more features that I just didn't need. This valet was perfect for me. It was too easy. I highly recommend it. :)
on March 9, 2015
For me this is the simplist router I have ever used. This is an older model. I purchased one of these a couple of years ago and it worked fine until I had a power surge that took it out. I was lucky to find just 1 on amazon that was brand new. It came still in the shrink wrap. This router comes with a usb key that you just install into your computer and it will set it up for you. It is also a hotspot and you can give whomever the guest password if you wish. There are 4 plugs in back for ethernet cables to other devices. GREAT ROUTER.
VINE VOICEon November 21, 2011
I'll admit that I'm not the most technological person, but I had a little trouble with the instructions that came with this router. I set it up exactly the way it said to when I plugged in the key, and right away I got a message saying my computer was not wireless compatible or something like that. It gave instructions for setting up with a network cable, but I really didn't know what that was. Luckily, I found really good instructions from another reviewer of this product and realized that after I connected the cable modem I have to the Valet, I had to take the Ethernet cable that was in my modem to begin with and plug that into my computer and then in to the Valet in the slot that says Ethernet 1(or 2, 3, 4). Once I did that everything fell into place and within minutes I was wireless.

Now that everything is all set, it works just great and I'm able to get a wifi connection every time I want one. I'm using it for my phone (Droid x) and that's all, so I can't say how it would work with anything else. The connection strength is always excellent no matter what room of our house I'm in and I'm shocked at how much faster things download than with just 3G. Plus, when I turn on the wifi I can watch videos on my phone without it constantly buffering. I'm very glad I purchased this.

2/28/2012 Update: Since I originally wrote this review, I've started using wifi via this router for a Kindle Fire, a blu ray player with built in wifi and an iPod Touch and it's still working great.
on September 28, 2010
I got my Valet yesterday and set it up last night on a new computer. Yep, I had to call the support line, but there is a good reason for that it turns out. First though, about the technical support. I was connected nearly immediately and yes, I think I may have been talking to India, but she was plenty conversant and with just a couple of "could you say that again"s it was just fine. Very helpful, very patient. I had very little trouble in that respect.

The reason I ended up having to call support was that it didn't connect right away. As it turns out, it was more my problem than theirs. It was a brand new computer, never been on-line. After a few tests of this and that, she took me to the IP address setup and my ISP setup, etc., etc. and just like that I was up and running. Turned to the laptop and it went just fine. Then she took me into the software and showed me how to change the name and password.

I asked about hooking up the PS3 since I have seen others have had troubles. Her stock answer was that since it was not their device I would need to contact the device manufacturer. I was troubled by that since it is their device I think they ought to know what I need to do. Anyway, once she had said what she evidently needed to say, we moved without hesitation and got the PS3 hooked up too. Although it didn't utilize the memory stick, it autodetected the signal and once the password was entered we were on our way.

I am glad to report that it all went very well for me.
on September 4, 2012
USB Valet Connector NEVER worked. Basically the reason I bought the product, because I didn't want to have to deal with customer service people. Thought this would make things so painfully simple I'd never have to call. Many hours on the phone with different technicians trying to figure out what the problem was. I had a brand new Mac laptop when I bought the router, so my comp wasn't the problem. Ridiculous. Never fixed.

Customer service is TERRIBLE! Ask to speak to a supervisor right away. Once the warranty has run out they try to milk you for money to get even the most basic information out of them. I just called to ask why a username/password window had suddenly started to appear when I tried to get into my router's system preferences, and the woman I talked to was of zero help. She told me I must have put a password there, because they can't get into my router info. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I could hack a friend's computer when I was 14 in the 90s, so I'm fairly certain that an enormous company can log into my person info. Also evidenced by the fact that they've done it with me on the phone countless times because they're lousy product is always breaking.

I absolutely hate Cisco and this router. They have caused me nothing but trouble. DO NOT BUY.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 17, 2014
Upon trying to hook the router up, the thumb drive to download and install was defective. I contacted the Home Office and was advised that the router either had previously been used or was defective. I was then told that based on the Model Number, the unit was four years old and on average these units only last for three years. I had purchased the item as NEW, apparently it had been sitting on the shelf for some time. The Seller was very cooperative and understanding and accepted the return of the item.
on September 28, 2010
You can believe all of the good reviews about the Cisco-Valet wireless router. I read everything I could about routers before deciding which one to purchase, and now I know Cisco really was the best choice to make. I'm pretty good with most things computer, but I am a router idiot. Not knowing anything about routers, but needing a wireless connection for my kids' 2 new laptops, I needed something easy to set up, something reliable, and something I didn't need a home equity loan to purchase. This thing is perfection in how simple it is to set up, and it has worked flawlessly so far. I did have to call the Cisco help line when my own pc refused to cooperate with the setup, and that went very well, too. Wait time was less than one minute, and the tech spoke English! Ok, let me clarify that statement: the tech spoke English I could easily understand. I would have paid for that all by itself. I highly recommend the Cisco Valet for anyone who wants to set up a home wireless network in a matter of minutes, and then use it without worrying about it anymore. I love it!

UPDATE - June 16, 2012

This router is still going strong almost 2 years later, and through 2 household moves. It holds all settings, so even after being unplugged and tossed in a shipping box for a week or even a month, it will reconnect as though nothing ever happened. The signal has also stayed strong, so all family members are able to use their devices throughout the house without loss of signal. I stand by my original review - this is an outstanding product that is worth much more than the actual price.
on March 7, 2011
Cisco M10 wireless router works great if you use broadband cable for the internet because you don't have to enter your user ID and password from the cable company.

Before I installed the router, I went on the Cisco support website and printed out the steps needed in order to install the router. I even bought the companion Cisco adaptor for my PC. It turns out that I didn't need the adaptor because the router comes with a Ethernet cable so all I had to do was connect the Ethernet cable for the modem and insert it into the router, then insert the enclosed Ethernet cable into slot #1 and attach the other end to my PC. This works for me because I rather stay wired while the rest of the house is wireless. Unfortunately, Cisco didn't include an instruction manual in the box (bummer), but the setup key made installation a snap. Plug-n-Play worked quickly and I had the router up and running in less than ten minutes. Then I used the setup key to install the router on my aunt's PC (which has wireless built-in) which took about five minutes. Then I entered the WPA my wireless printer. So far we had no problems using the internet together, although I get some lag time because I have an older machine.

I gave it four stars for two reasons. First, I don't know its full range until I setup my internet ready DVD player. Second, I have a Nintendo DS that I wanted to setup but I can't because Nintendo requires a WEP code while the M10 uses a WPA security code making it incompatible with the DS. (IF you know how I can set my DS up, please let me know.)
on August 29, 2010
I was filled with anxious anticipation as I read the rave reviews about the Valet. However, my experience was horrible.
Familiar with setting up home networks myself, having used a Linksys WRT before and an Airport Extreme, I thought, "How simple this set-up will be," it even comes with an Easy Set-up Key.
Needless to say I was very wrong. I struggled for 2 hours to get my Macbook, and my Windows OS computers to find the Valet, before calling customer support, who, of course, had me redo all of the same things I had done ,prior to their trying new things. After 3 1/2 hours with Tech Support no progress was either made nor forthcoming.
The next morning after my head was clear I sat down for another 2 hours, to give it one last try, then I boxed it up and sent it back. What a total waste of my time. My Airport connected back up quickly and I was able to resume my work, thank goodness, and felt relief that since Amazon has a great "Returns" policy I would have no trouble returning the non-router and getting on with my computing.
on September 24, 2012
The CISCO Valet wireless router is effortless to set up. I have used other routers and the CISCO wireless router is not only uncomplicated, it is inexpensive and so attractive. The light blue and white colors make it different than the usual boring black or silver colors of other routers. It comes with a set up key flash drive and an uncomplicated console for viewing and/or changing your network name and password. I highly recommend this router for anyone, but, especially for the average novice user.