Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Listen for a chance to win STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on September 29, 2014
I bought this watch Dec of 2013 and have worn it everyday since. It's been banged on doorknobs and dropped several times and is still ticking. It was with me as I paddled 1200 miles down the Mississippi River this summer, were it was submerged several times daily. You will be fine swimming and showering with it on. I swapped the canvas strap for a black rubber strap. I've never made a conscious effort to charge it and it has been working fine, even during the winter months. It keeps very accurate time. The face is easy to read while telling time or looking at the date, but the sub-dial that shows elapsed minutes is tricky to read accurately, I don't use the chrono very often though. I personally find the 24-hour sub-dial pointless. You'll probably pick up some scratches on the crystal if you are working in it and coming into contact with things often. All-in-all, I really like this watch, it's a good size, durable, low maintenance, not flashy and worth the money. Go ahead and get it.
6 helpful votes
7 helpful votes
on August 9, 2017
I was initially very happy with the look and function of the watch. However, a month or so after I got it it started stopping in the middle of the night for no reason, despite having plenty of time in the sun to charge. The stopwatch also stopped resetting to 12 and would move all around the face. The face also scratches and chips easily. I sent the watch back for warranty repair, which was done in a couple of weeks. About a week after I got the watch back it stopped in the night again. I am disappointed with the quality of the watch and believe they should have fixed it right or offered a replacement. I don't want to deal with shipping it back only to get a broken watch in return again so I will likely just have to buy something else.
on May 30, 2016
This is my second Eco-Drive Citizen watch. I still own and love my original (a little more dressy Eco-Drive). This watch is a great size in terms of diameter and thickness. Feels great on the wrist. I debated swapping out the band for a black leather band (even before it arrived in the mail), but now that I have been wearing it for a week, I have realized that I love the green band. Comfortable and lightweight. Dries quickly after a shower too.

The watch doesn't have a lot of fancy functions. Simply chronograph, and date. Of course it is also solar charged, but that goes without saying for Eco-Drives. And the simplicity is what I really like about this watch.

For anyone who has not owned a solar-powered Eco-Drive watch, it is the real deal when it comes to battery (or lack of) and life-long power. For this thing to lose a charge, it would have to be a very dark room for weeks on end. Casual wear (inside and out) or even sitting on a dresser in a room with some amount of light will keep this charged. I have NEVER seen my older Eco-Drive lose charge. And I keep it in a closet when not wearing it where the only light it gets is from fluorescent ceiling lights.

I recommend this watch.
on July 11, 2010
Update: January 30, 2017
Well after 6 and a half years of using this watch I have to say I couldn't be more impressed. It finally stopped holding a charge. I have been on 3 deployments with this watch and it has been with me in all kind of climates from humid to dry, Africa summer to Alaska Winter. I have never had any issue (aside from the band not being quite as adjustable as I would prefer). I am ordering another one to replace it which should last me what is left in my military career. This is a fantastic watch and if you are not sure whether or not to get it, I advise you to pull the trigger and order it. I love it.

Original post: July 15, 2010
I purchased this watch about a month ago. I am very pleased with the purchase and have only two things to comment on.

The strap length, it is a bit short and I would say I have average size wrists for a 6'0" guy. That being said I buckle it into the 2nd hole from the end.I would prefer it to be 1 maybe 2 more inside but then you would have that overhang so I have learned to appreciate it.

The strap color. In the picture it appears to be a tan tinted olive drab when in fact it is a very full green olive drab. I like it better but yeah it looks a bit different than it does in the picture.

All and all it is a quality watch and I am extremely happy with my purchase. I would definetly recommend this watch.
3 helpful votes
on May 24, 2017
A fine watch that meets my needs. Nice enough for dressy occasions, study enough for everyday use. I spend most of my day indoors and I was worried the watch would not get enough light to stay charged. That has not been the case - it's held a charge just fine on mostly indoor lights.

I replaced the band with a nylon strap. More comfortable for my wrist.
on September 19, 2017
I am a very pragmatic person. The many years I have spent it the military have made me such. So, this military inspired watch appealed to me. It is very basic, with the added chronograph, and the Eco Drive concept. I love it because of the small profile that does not get in the way. It is a reliable watch that I never have to wind. The luminosity of the dial is not great, but it is good enough. This is the most fundamental of watches I can find on the market. If you want style, buy for style. I want the basics. This watch is it.
on July 31, 2017
This is a great watch for casual weekends, and when you want a more rugged look. I wear a nicer watch to work, but this has become my go-to for the weekend and after hours excursions. The display is very easy to read, and the chronograph works great!.

I have noticed that it runs about 1 second fast per week, but this is easily corrected with a quick time check.
on June 25, 2013
As a touring sound engineer I'm pretty rough on watches. So for years I have relied upon cheap digital watches, the ones you toss when the battery dies. Decided to get a real watch but didn't want to spend a lot on one only to get it banged up. After 6 months on the road with this watch I am very happy. It is extremely accurate, which I rely on for show times, bus calls and timed events. Speaking of which, the chronograph stopwatch works fine for things like timing intermissions, length of shows and how long I've been at the grocery or how long the steaks have been on the grill. It doesn't have the resolution to time sporting events, however.
Going from plastic watches to this I find it to be quite comfortable, low-profile and light. I have small wrists and so the size of the face is a good fit as is the canvas wristband which dries quickly from sweat, rain or the pool if I forget to remove.
With the black face and sliver and luminous green hands it is easy to read. Before going to sleep I hit it for a few seconds with a flash light, lamp or even my cell phone screen to activate the luminosity. I've read some people complain that they have to do this but folks, it's the way it works, and I can easily still read it 6 or more hours later. What is harder to read under any conditions are the date window and the chronograph dial and I am near sighted. Thats the only reason i don't give it 5 stars. But it's never been a deal breaker for me. Just as the minute hand partially obscures reading the stopwatch dial around the 10 o'clock position, you adapt and deal with it.
Some have complained about scratching the glass crystal. If your are really concerned upgrade to a sapphire. But every day I load trucks, set up sound systems, stick my hands in equipment racks and mic stand cases and except for some minor scratches on the case, the face is unscathed.
All in all this Citizen is a great watch with just enough frills to make it more useful while keeping the price down and looking good as well. And perhaps the best feature is the Eco-Drive; the least bit of light keeps this baby ticking on, even if it stays in a drawer for weeks. No more tossed dead battery cheapies.
on August 15, 2017
I like this watch a lot, good looking and pretty easy to set up. As for the band, I'm going to have to wear it for awhile and see if it breaks in some before I can rate it, its very stiff for one thing and will see how it wears.
on March 5, 2014
I love this watch. Among the many reviews I read, the negative reviews did not deter me from looking back at this little beauty numerous times. I received my watch as a surprise from my incredible girlfriend and love wearing it and am pleased to look at it every time I have it on. I own a few other EcoDrive Citizen's and I will End up with others over the years. My all time favorite feature is the solar charging provided with these watches. With nominal maintenance these are some of the greatest time pieces ever created. Thank you babydoll for by far one of the greatest gifts I have ever recieved.