Workplace Solutions Best Kids' Books of the Year Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 12 Days of Deals Gifts for Him Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Platinum artists Shop Outdoor Gift Ideas on Amazon

Showing 1-10 of 479 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on April 26, 2006
I upgraded to the eco-drive from a watch that recharged by wrist motion. So far I'm a lot happier with the eco-drive. It holds a charge a lot longer, so it's not a problem to leave it unworn for a day or two. I didn't like the green military style band on this one, but it was easy to swap for a leather 20mm band. The stock band was a tad small for my wrist. I would expect a lot of men would need to swap it. The numbers look big in the picture, and they're big on the watch. I like the big numbers, others might not.

May 2008 Update:
I still like this watch as much as the day it arrived! It works perfectly, never runs out of battery and looks good. For those of you who haven't paid for a decent watch, you might not realize you're missing out on a good quality glass / crystal face. Mine still is scratch free. The watch looks pretty much brand new, even though I wear it every day.
88 comments| 174 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 31, 2007
This is my 2nd Eco-Drive Watch. Eco-Drive is by far my favorite watch brand. My other Eco-Drive is a moon-phase Calibre that I wear to work everyday. I wanted another watch that was less dressy, and was happy when I found this watch at a low price. However, this watch looks very nice, despite its price. Some reviewers don't like the watchband. I agree that a leather band would make it look more expensive, but this is a military watch and the band is quite appropriate. Although the description calls this a canvas strap, the inside is coated so that it does not absorb sweat. Also, I have small wrists and Eco-Drives are the only watches that I can wear without modifying the strap. It's VERY easy to set. It is more like a traditional watch; you only need to adjust the main crown. The other two buttons north and south of the crown control the chronograph. Seconds tick by on this watch on the small dial located just above the "6" on the watch face. The large second hand that you normally associate with the sweep second hand is part of the chronograph. By the way, the chronograph is EXTREMELY easy to operate. One of my favorite features of this watch are the extremely large, easy-to-read numbers on the dial. Only downside is that the three small dials on the face are smaller and more difficult to read, but I think that is an unavoidable consequence of the design. Overall, this is a great watch!!
0Comment| 119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 1, 2008
If you, like me, are considering this watch because it is simple, has a rugged appearance to it, happens to be a Citizen Eco-Drive model, and is reasonably priced, then you may want to know the following.

Pros: This watch is easy to set up and holds time well. It can be dragged across brick surfaces and airplane exteriors without blemishing. It can be taken in the shower and swimming pool without leaking, and the watch band dries before getting a chance to leave wet spots on your trousers while you drive to work. The fit is comfortable and the watch is not heavy or bulky. The chronograph is incredibly easy to use after looking at the instructions once. The hour and minute hands have a nice, subtle glow sufficient for telling time in dark places.

Cons: The chronograph maxes out at 60 minutes and then turns off. And I once turned it off accidentally when the back of my hand pushed against the watch. So be careful if you're timing anything serious--like a ninja mission.

Notes on fit: I'm 5'9", 170 pounds, and a fitness nut. This watch JUST fits my wrist. So as other reviewers have said, if your wrists have a little padding, plan on replacing the watch band--which is an industry-standard size and easy to replace.

Notes on the Eco-Drive battery life: I have done nothing beyond my normal routine to keep this watch exposed to light. I don't avoid wearing long-sleeved shirts or hold my arm out the window while driving home. And so far I have had no issues with the charge. From the time I took this watch out of the box, it has just kept on telling time and taking abuse.

Great value for the money.
22 comments| 126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 25, 2010
Just received my Citizen AT0200-05E today and the watch looks better in person. Read lots of reviews about the stock band being short but it wasn't a concern for me as I ordered my watch with the Modena Panerai black band upgrade. The rubber band really dresses up the watch nicely and adds a diving watch quality to it. I've included some pictures with my review with the "wet" look and I think it's a great upgrade to an already awesome watch!
review image review image review image
on March 23, 2007
This is my fourth Citizen watch, but my first Eco-Drive. I wasn't sure I'd ever own one, as I'd seen them in stores at retail price, and they were much more expensive. Yes, they were shinier and had nicer watch bands, but to get an Eco-Drive at this price is terrific. The watch band is the same length as my two Citizen watches with leather straps- almost 9-1/2 inches. The strap seems well-made and even has an interior lining of a softer material- to make it more confortable I assume. And is was comfortable from the very first wearing. Oddly, the instruction manual seems a little too concerned with keeping it in light to make sure it's charged. One major selling point is it "never needs a battery", so why be so concerned about it? Relax and enjoy the watch. It will let you know when it needs light. This is a great watch, and in my opinion, you can't go wrong buying this or any Citizen timepiece.
review image review image review image review image
on March 28, 2008
I have owned this watch for about a year now, and I love it. The time is very accurate, the eco-drive is solid and reliable, the weight is great and the price was right.

The Pro-
-Easy to read, day or night. The luminous hands are bright without being obtrusive.
-Large face, but lightweight with the canvas band.
-The timer is accurate.
-The tick is silent, I can't hear it in a quiet room even next to my ear.
-Very durable, no scratches on the face or body even after all I have subjected it to. This is not the watch I wear for dress occasions, it has seen combat, been underwater, been covered in dust, dirt, mud, been through dozens of pressurizations and depressurizations, been dropped, smacked into all manner of walls, bulkheads, gear and equipment and it looks as good as the day I got it.

The cons-
-The band is awful. It is canvas on top, but the inside part is leather so it takes a while to dry out after a workout or shower and tends to take on the smell of whatever soap, solvent, sweat or whatever it was most recently subjected to. I have to take extra care to rinse out the band for that reason. The holes are metal-lined and while they are durable, they do not allow for fine adjustment and the watch sits just a little too loose (or a little too tight) for my wrist. I'd have replaced it long ago, but the band I want will not ship to my location.

-Other
I wish the military time could be adjusted independently from the normal time. It only tells the military time for the main time setting, which is a little pointless when much of what I do is in zulu/GMT time and not local...

Update May 2014: Finally killed it. Up to the end, this watch continued to work great, hold its charge, and started working quickly whenever it did deplete. The face remained scratch free though the case body showed quite a lot of wear. I dropped it while putting it back of after an airport security line, it fell probably 5 feet onto concrete floor and didn't restart. The timer stopwatch and second hand subdial still go, but the main timekeeping dial refuses to move. Guess it landed right on the adjustment wheel. Still extremely happy with it and I'll probably be getting another one to replace it.
on May 3, 2008
This watch is currently with me serving a tour of duty in Iraq, and it's performing beautifully. So far, there are some very minor scratches on the casing, but the glass is extremely scratch-resistant. I haven't had any problems with the watch keeping a charge; it came charged out of the box and has been so ever since. The stopwatch function works great, but I would have liked it to keep time longer than an hour. However, I seem to rarely need to keep time longer than a few minutes so this is a mute point. My only complaint so far is about the watch band. The band looks good in uniform and it's very comfortable, but it's developing an odd smell. I fear that I'll have to replace it in the next month or two if I continue to wear it every day.
on February 19, 2011
Liked the simplicity of design and promising name brand company. Crystal on face of watch chipped off INTERNALLY, not a scratch on the surface. Obvious manufacturer defect. Called to have Citizen cover watch under their warranty. Was told I would have to pay nearly the price I paid for it new to repair. Warranty may as well be a false promise. Kept time perfectly but band smelled after short period of time. Unlikely to ever purchase a citizen product again.
44 comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 15, 2011
It is always disheartening when one buys a fairly expensive watch (at least expensive for me) and ends up paying a large percent of the value for repairs. I wanted to love this watch and even initially gave it a five star review, however the frustration that comes with spending so much on an already costly watch only to have it break down again has finally caused me to reconsider.

When I first got this watch it looked great and the crystal couldn't be scratched as others have already said (more on this later though). However after about a month I came across a defect when the top pin somehow was released and the watch fell off of my wrist. I went and got the pin replaced and thought my problem was solved. However about a month later the watch again fell off of my wrist. I usually wear the watch when I play sports and the pin would fall out when I made some kind of quick movement (swing of the wrist/arm) or when I would attempt to put on a backpack or jacket and it would snag the sleeve somehow releasing the pin. I was disappointed at this because watches shouldn't fall off just because I swing my arm especially one advertised to be durable and long lasting. I replaced the pin 4-5 times in the past year but it has not helped as it still falls off after several weeks.

I finally contacted Citizen and their customer service employee (who was polite) told me that the problem was probably with the pin size and that the top band most likely came with an incorrect pin, so I had to buy the correct pin from them (for about $5.00). Unfortunately this didn't solve the problem either since it still continued. I was so annoyed that I had almost given up at this point but gave one last shot and took it to a different repair store near my house. The repairman (after I explained my problem) said he put a pin one size larger inside to ensure the fit. I was pretty skeptical since it failed so many times before but I continued wearing it nonetheless and my problem actually appeared to be fixed after 6 retries and about $10-$15 worth of expenses. Not too bad. But then the problems continued..

When the crystal actually cracked. I'm not even sure what caused it since I didn't subject it to any particular abuse and didn't come across anything out of the ordinary in terms of normal everyday wear. I finally took it to the repair store when the cracks resulted in little shards interfering with the movement of the hands, where the man gave me an estimate of $60 to replace the glass and ensure a proper fitting so that the water resistance can also be maintained.

The thought of spending that much more on a watch that gave me so many problems in the first year alone was just too irritating and really did ruin the experience with wearing Citizen. What's even sadder is that huge companies like Citizen will always defend their products and point to the limited and useless warranty in an effort to avoid repairs even if it was perhaps truly a defective product. This is unfortunately sometimes the result of a business that does not have a customer centric policy at heart.

I am aware that perhaps I shouldn't have bought the product online, but the so many good reviews convinced me to do so. Also obviously my experience does not portray the experience that others may have (otherwise all the reviews would have been pretty low) so do not use this review as your sole basis/consult for purchasing it since so many others have had great experiences. I just wanted potential buyers to be aware of the potential problems and the difficulty/costs that would go into the fixtures. In my case that extra $70 could have been added to the price and used to get a higher model up.
on April 3, 2010
In light of the reviews complaining of the short band, I thought I'd try this as a women's watch! Fits great, with 3-4 watchband holes to spare on either side. I love its large numbers and sporty outdoorsy look.
review image