Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite Game of Thrones: The Complete Seasons 1-7 now available on Blu-ray and DVD Shop now TG18PP_gno

I must agree with the other reviewers here at Amazon: this is a nice watch and a good value for the money.

I must confess as well that this watch does give me "charge anxiety." I live in a dark first-floor studio in Manhattan without much direct sunlight.

I have been placing this watch under a table lamp with a compact fluorescent bulb for two hours or so before I go to bed and another two hours or so in the morning. In addition, I leave the watch on a windowsill, where I get a half an hour of direct sunlight around lunchtime. And when the sun is out, I have been wearing it while I get about a half-hour of sun in the park a day.

So far, the watch has been running fine. When it is losing its charge, the second hand in the little dial at the six o'clock position jumps in two-second increments to warn you to charge the watch. This happened only on the first day I received the watch, after having charged it for two hours in a small dressing room lit by a CF bulb on the ceiling.

Still, Citizen reminds you that if you wear long sleeves, that will prevent the watch from charging while you wear it.

So I'm wondering how this watch will run in the dead of winter, when I won't be sunning in the park and I might be wearing long-sleeved sweaters or coats. We will see...

In the meantime, I can tell you that the watch looks better in person than in the photo on this page. The stainless steel body has a brushed finish around the sides with a polished ring around the crystal. The luminescence of the hands is very bright, and it is very easy to read the time in all lighting conditions.

I have not found the watch strap to be as short as others have reported; it seems to be about the same length as the straps on my other watches. The grommets around the strap holes make the watch very easy to strap on.

Because this is a quartz watch, it keeps perfect time, of course, and the chronometer movement -- which records seconds and minutes up to one hour -- works well.

Finally the watch is rated as water-resistant to 10 BAR, which the instructions say make it suitable for wearing while swimming or snorkeling, but not deep-sea diving.

About the only thing negative I can report is that the plastic film on the back of the watch was rather difficult to remove and left some gluey gunk, which I had to remove with paint thinner. Usually I find that these protective films are affixed these days with a static charge rather than glue.

Nevertheless, this is a handsome and functional watch, very reasonably priced. Wrists up!

PROS:

* Very easy to read.
* Quartz movement keeps perfect time.
* No batteries to replace!
* Charges on any kind of light, indoors or out.
* Better-looking in person.

CONS:

* Charging ability in winter uncertain.
* Hard to remove plastic film on watch back.
22 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 27, 2017
Beautifully done timepiece. The band is very stiff but its not a full canvas strap. Its backed with leather plus the large metal holes make it a little stiff at first but after about 2 weeks of wear it loosed up allot. The second hand is the small dial and not the large red hand which makes using the chronograph much easier. The lume is green and starts off bright but fades away within about 10 mins but the watch remains visible for about 45 mins. Easy to read. Wears a little bit small so if you have massive wrists i would consider something larger. Overall a great piece, I expect many years of use from it.
on December 4, 2016
This is a great watch that I've had for a few months now and it works perfectly. A few minutes in some decent sunlight and the second hand [bottom circle above six] will start to tick. The watch has a nice weight on the wrist, not to heavy not to light. At first the strap is a little stiff, but once broken in it is comfortable. The watch features a chronograph [timer] that counts up to an hour and it also has a 24 hour display on the right side. Chrono pusher has a solid click to activate the timer and has a softer push to pause. The reset pusher also has a firm yet satisfying click. There are 12 dots above the numbers that glow along with the hands and chrono second hand. The glow lasts for a decent amount of time and ls easy to read, it also looks cool. The ring around the face is very shiny, but is more prone to little scratches so be careful. My only complaint would have to be, and it's a nitpick is that the crystal protecting the dial is a mineral and not sapphire but so far I've had no scratches on it. I'm not to sure if the strap can be changed as I don't see any pins to pop out however I'm sure someone with more knowledge about these style of watches can clarify. Over all a great buy and I absolutely love it. I wear it everytime I leave the house.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
11 comment| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 13, 2017
Had I written this review a couple of days ago, I would have nothing at all bad to say about this watch. Even now, my only complaint is somewhat on the trivial side for a watch such as this one. Having worn it for a little over a month I had been nothing but pleased in every way (though I did replace the band almost immediately.) That is, until I decided to replenish some supplies I went through during Hurricane Harvey. While placing a couple of cases of water in one of Walmart's powdercoated shopping carts, the crystal received not one, but five rather deep scratches that I have no hope of ever getting out. Will these scratches affect functionality? No, not at all. It's just a massive disappointment to have something so seemingly trivial forever alter the watch's crystal. Oh well, I guess that just means I get to be a bit more rough with the thing!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on September 29, 2014
I bought this watch Dec of 2013 and have worn it everyday since. It's been banged on doorknobs and dropped several times and is still ticking. It was with me as I paddled 1200 miles down the Mississippi River this summer, were it was submerged several times daily. You will be fine swimming and showering with it on. I swapped the canvas strap for a black rubber strap. I've never made a conscious effort to charge it and it has been working fine, even during the winter months. It keeps very accurate time. The face is easy to read while telling time or looking at the date, but the sub-dial that shows elapsed minutes is tricky to read accurately, I don't use the chrono very often though. I personally find the 24-hour sub-dial pointless. You'll probably pick up some scratches on the crystal if you are working in it and coming into contact with things often. All-in-all, I really like this watch, it's a good size, durable, low maintenance, not flashy and worth the money. Go ahead and get it.
on April 7, 2017
This is a very well made and simple watch, the luminous paint on the hands and dials last through the night. Most watches I take off for bed but this one has soft edges and comfortable enough to wear all day and night.
review image
on July 6, 2017
The watch itself is great. The movement is good and it keeps accurate time. The strap that comes with it is very robust. It's a bit on the small side or I have big wrists, but I expected it to be a bit bigger than it is. That said, the strap would last forever. I ended up putting a leather Nato style on it, but not because of any problem with the original. The illumination works well and lasts a decent amount of time for a short burst of a flashlight on it. It's doing the best it can with the "friendly" material they have to use today. I knocked off a star because of the band sizing and the fact that the big red hand is for the stopwatch ONLY. The second hand for the watch is a small dial on the bottom. I'm not sure how I missed that in the description, but that nice big long red arm is for the stopwatch. I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a nice, simple watch that you don't have to wind or replace batteries.
on September 19, 2017
I am a very pragmatic person. The many years I have spent it the military have made me such. So, this military inspired watch appealed to me. It is very basic, with the added chronograph, and the Eco Drive concept. I love it because of the small profile that does not get in the way. It is a reliable watch that I never have to wind. The luminosity of the dial is not great, but it is good enough. This is the most fundamental of watches I can find on the market. If you want style, buy for style. I want the basics. This watch is it.
on February 12, 2018
Nice simple watch, but very well made. Seems very durable and high quality. It is just what I wanted, good quality fieldwatch style basically for everyday casual wear. I spend a lot of time active out doors and didn’t want leather or a bracelet style, and the rubber watches are a little too immature or “tactical” looking. This is perfect. I am also happy about the solar charging. The band is a little small. I don’t have a particularly large wrist, but I have only 2 larger notches to go to. I will probably switch out to nato band anyway.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 17, 2017
I bought my Citizen's military-style watch to replace an old military watch that I really liked, which raised the bar that my new watch needs to top, and I'm happy to write that I made a great choice! My new watch is very light, easy to read, and the luminous dial is very bright in the dark! However, the wristband is stiff and, IMHO, the green color clashes with this great looking watch! One of the reasons that I bought this watch is that the very comfortable black wristband from my old watch fits my new Citizen watch. Today a jeweler swapped the green wristband with the flexible black wristband from my old watch. Now this Citizen watch is very comfortable to wear and it looks like a very classy military watch!
review image