Amazon Vehicles Beauty Trade in your textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop now Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 515 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 650 reviews
on May 26, 2014
I like almost everything about this watch except how fragile it is. I've had it for over a year, and I wear it every day. My biggest issue is that the face of it is all scratched up (only 1 year in). I'm not overly rough on it, I don't work in a rock quarry or something. But I'm also not overly protective. I bought this because it was supposed to be made to use. It's not as rugged as I would have hoped.

Pros:
- Looks great, easy to read day or night
- Glows enough - if your eyes have adjusted to the dark, you can see it. I hang it in the top of my tent and can read it in the middle of the night while lying down.
- Water hasn't been a problem, and I've worn it a lot in the water.
- Solar powered, no battery. I didn't trust this idea at first, but it works great.

Cons:
- Face scratches easily. I have lots of scratches in it, and I've only had it for a year. This was disappointing.
- As with most chronograph watches, the hands block the chronograph. It's pretty useless for several hours of the day.
- The chronograph second hand (the red one) will get knocked out of alignment every few months. It's easy to fix, but I can never remember the steps and have to look it up every time.
on April 7, 2016
Really like the watch, but its a lot smaller than i had thought it was and had hoped for.

after about 2 weeks breaking the watch in I really love it, and for the price it is a good value, i like the luminosuty of the hands and the overall style has grown on me alot, just dont get the band soaked it will get gross

I must say it isnt very large but looks great on mid to small wrists
review image
on September 29, 2014
I bought this watch Dec of 2013 and have worn it everyday since. It's been banged on doorknobs and dropped several times and is still ticking. It was with me as I paddled 1200 miles down the Mississippi River this summer, were it was submerged several times daily. You will be fine swimming and showering with it on. I swapped the canvas strap for a black rubber strap. I've never made a conscious effort to charge it and it has been working fine, even during the winter months. It keeps very accurate time. The face is easy to read while telling time or looking at the date, but the sub-dial that shows elapsed minutes is tricky to read accurately, I don't use the chrono very often though. I personally find the 24-hour sub-dial pointless. You'll probably pick up some scratches on the crystal if you are working in it and coming into contact with things often. All-in-all, I really like this watch, it's a good size, durable, low maintenance, not flashy and worth the money. Go ahead and get it.
on September 9, 2013
I'm a fan of Citizen Eco-drive Chronographs. What can I say, they are just GREAT watches! This is my 3rd (NOT a replacement. All are still working). I was looking for a "field watch" to wear when out kayaking, camping, hiking, etc, instead of wearing my other two which are dress-type watches. I even purchased an inexpensive CASIO Forester for the task. However, I'm just so used to the quality and durability of the Eco-Drive Chronographs, I said "To heck with it" and treated myself to this jewel! My oldest Eco is 7yrs old, next is 2 yrs old, plus this new one. All run great and I've never had to replace or repair one, and believe me, I am ROUGH on watches. I never take them off unless I'm swapping one watch for another. I didn't really care for the band, but it wasn't really an issue since I knew I was going to replace it with a self made band, immediately (see pic). I have other nice watches such as Seiko Kinetics, but they just stay in the watch case.....
review image
on March 19, 2017
I've had this watch for about 6 years now. I've had to replace the band (actually, I've gone through a couple - but I'm really not easy on them), and the chronograph is a little out of alignment, but other than that it still looks great and works perfectly.

I wear this watch often in daily settings, but also when I go camping, hiking, kayaking, etc. and it has held up beautifully. I still get compliments on it, and it i's really nice to never change a battery!
on May 26, 2015
I must agree with the other reviewers here at Amazon: this is a nice watch and a good value for the money.

I must confess as well that this watch does give me "charge anxiety." I live in a dark first-floor studio in Manhattan without much direct sunlight.

I have been placing this watch under a table lamp with a compact fluorescent bulb for two hours or so before I go to bed and another two hours or so in the morning. In addition, I leave the watch on a windowsill, where I get a half an hour of direct sunlight around lunchtime. And when the sun is out, I have been wearing it while I get about a half-hour of sun in the park a day.

So far, the watch has been running fine. When it is losing its charge, the second hand in the little dial at the six o'clock position jumps in two-second increments to warn you to charge the watch. This happened only on the first day I received the watch, after having charged it for two hours in a small dressing room lit by a CF bulb on the ceiling.

Still, Citizen reminds you that if you wear long sleeves, that will prevent the watch from charging while you wear it.

So I'm wondering how this watch will run in the dead of winter, when I won't be sunning in the park and I might be wearing long-sleeved sweaters or coats. We will see...

In the meantime, I can tell you that the watch looks better in person than in the photo on this page. The stainless steel body has a brushed finish around the sides with a polished ring around the crystal. The luminescence of the hands is very bright, and it is very easy to read the time in all lighting conditions.

I have not found the watch strap to be as short as others have reported; it seems to be about the same length as the straps on my other watches. The grommets around the strap holes make the watch very easy to strap on.

Because this is a quartz watch, it keeps perfect time, of course, and the chronometer movement -- which records seconds and minutes up to one hour -- works well.

Finally the watch is rated as water-resistant to 10 BAR, which the instructions say make it suitable for wearing while swimming or snorkeling, but not deep-sea diving.

About the only thing negative I can report is that the plastic film on the back of the watch was rather difficult to remove and left some gluey gunk, which I had to remove with paint thinner. Usually I find that these protective films are affixed these days with a static charge rather than glue.

Nevertheless, this is a handsome and functional watch, very reasonably priced. Wrists up!

PROS:

* Very easy to read.
* Quartz movement keeps perfect time.
* No batteries to replace!
* Charges on any kind of light, indoors or out.
* Better-looking in person.

CONS:

* Charging ability in winter uncertain.
* Hard to remove plastic film on watch back.
on June 9, 2013
I got this watch from Amazon just over two weeks ago. I bought it at a very good discount from retail after reading many of the Amazon customer reviews. The watch looks sporty in an everyday wear kind of way, it's not sheek or elegant as it is sold as a sport watch and that's what it is. The numerals are painted in white that do not glow, however, the reverence dots around the dial do glow as do all the hands, the luminecence lasts a pretty long time.

The crystal seems a bit thin, although I did slightly bang it 2 or 3 times with no scratch, cracking or sign of trauma of any sort. The two buttons operate the chronograph which is measured by the red hand and the upper left 60 minute dial. You can only measure up to 60 minutes then the chron stops and resets. Also, the 60 minute dial is quite small and somewhat hard to read. This chronograph is intended to measure elapsed time when preciseness is not so important, basically just an approximation such as a parking meter or the timing of a boring staff meeting. One positive, the movement of your hand and arm should not accidently trigger the chronograph to start or stop unintentionally, I actually tried to make it do so by bending my hand up toward my wrist but was unable to activate the chron. I think this is due to the strategically placed crown guard.

My watch has only gained 1.5 seconds in the 17 days I've had it, I've worn it everyday in what I would consider normal conditions. I like the 24 hour dial at the upper right, and for those folks who are sticklers for the hands matching up with the reference points, this watch makes the grade, the 24 hour hand included.

The green nylon and leather backed band gives the watch a very military style. You will have to want a watch with such a band to keep it, otherwise, like me you'll want to swap it out with a more traditional leather band. The lugs measure 20mm, but I put a 22mm that squeezed on just fine. The watch case is exactly 38mm not including the crown or guard, for me that is the PERFECT size. The watch seems to have a style in which just about any sport band placed on it would look good, black or brown. The case is a brushed stainless steel EXCEPT for the narrow bezel which is glossy so it keeps that sporty or military look.

I recommend this watch if it meets your criteria, style and personality. It is worth the $135.00 price and I have no regrets buying it whatsoever. The only real improvement I might suggest if Citizens came to me, would be the seemingly thin crystal.
on May 30, 2016
This is my second Eco-Drive Citizen watch. I still own and love my original (a little more dressy Eco-Drive). This watch is a great size in terms of diameter and thickness. Feels great on the wrist. I debated swapping out the band for a black leather band (even before it arrived in the mail), but now that I have been wearing it for a week, I have realized that I love the green band. Comfortable and lightweight. Dries quickly after a shower too.

The watch doesn't have a lot of fancy functions. Simply chronograph, and date. Of course it is also solar charged, but that goes without saying for Eco-Drives. And the simplicity is what I really like about this watch.

For anyone who has not owned a solar-powered Eco-Drive watch, it is the real deal when it comes to battery (or lack of) and life-long power. For this thing to lose a charge, it would have to be a very dark room for weeks on end. Casual wear (inside and out) or even sitting on a dresser in a room with some amount of light will keep this charged. I have NEVER seen my older Eco-Drive lose charge. And I keep it in a closet when not wearing it where the only light it gets is from fluorescent ceiling lights.

I recommend this watch.
on May 24, 2017
A fine watch that meets my needs. Nice enough for dressy occasions, study enough for everyday use. I spend most of my day indoors and I was worried the watch would not get enough light to stay charged. That has not been the case - it's held a charge just fine on mostly indoor lights.

I replaced the band with a nylon strap. More comfortable for my wrist.
on July 31, 2007
This is my 2nd Eco-Drive Watch. Eco-Drive is by far my favorite watch brand. My other Eco-Drive is a moon-phase Calibre that I wear to work everyday. I wanted another watch that was less dressy, and was happy when I found this watch at a low price. However, this watch looks very nice, despite its price. Some reviewers don't like the watchband. I agree that a leather band would make it look more expensive, but this is a military watch and the band is quite appropriate. Although the description calls this a canvas strap, the inside is coated so that it does not absorb sweat. Also, I have small wrists and Eco-Drives are the only watches that I can wear without modifying the strap. It's VERY easy to set. It is more like a traditional watch; you only need to adjust the main crown. The other two buttons north and south of the crown control the chronograph. Seconds tick by on this watch on the small dial located just above the "6" on the watch face. The large second hand that you normally associate with the sweep second hand is part of the chronograph. By the way, the chronograph is EXTREMELY easy to operate. One of my favorite features of this watch are the extremely large, easy-to-read numbers on the dial. Only downside is that the three small dials on the face are smaller and more difficult to read, but I think that is an unavoidable consequence of the design. Overall, this is a great watch!!
0Comment| 121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse