Top positive review
33 people found this helpful
Exceeded my expectations easily!
on September 10, 2017
I've owned this watch for over a month at the time of this review, and it's much better than I'd though it'd be when I ordered it. Let me add some fairly important information that's missing from the product info page;
• At full charge (2-3 days exposed to bright sunlight from empty) the watch battery is rated to run for 1.5 years in a drawer (it enters low-power mode automatically in the dark) and for 10 months getting an inadequate charge (under a sleeve).
• The black top-ring is ion plated titanium, not paint.
• The spring bars are actually mounted fairly close to the case. I was able to fit a leather NATO strap in only with great difficulty causing surface damage to the strap. Nylon NATO straps should not have any problem fitting through.
• The atomic radio feature works if the watch is hanging vertically, you don't have to keep it horizontal. I receive a high signal every night with it hanging from a wall hook and I live about 1,600 miles from the Denver radio transmitter.
• Eco-Drive type watches are equipped with a special titanium-lithium-ion secondary battery charged by photocells located behind the sub-dials. According to Citizen Europe, laboratory tests showed that after 20 years the secondary battery retains a power storage capacity of 80% of its initial capacity!
• The titanium case has gone through Citizen's proprietary hardening process (known as Duratect) which gives it a Mohs hardness of ~7 and a Vickers hardness of ~1100 and is trademarked by them as "Super Titanium". This is important information because while Ti is stronger than stainless steel and half the weight, it is actually less "hard" as far as scratching goes. After their hardening process it becomes significantly more scratch resistant than standard stainless steel. This are good qualities to have as Ti has the additional benefits of being hypo-allergenic (no contact dermatitis) and non-magnetic. For reference, the sapphire window has a Mohs of 9 and a Vickers of ~2200. Keep in mind that scratch resistant does not mean scratch proof and it certainly doesn't mean dent proof. Hit the case hard enough against something solid and you will damage it.
I've attached reference pictures comparing the size and finish of the watch to my Citizen Men's BM8180-03E Eco-Drive Analog Japanese Quartz Green Watch. I've also replace the metal bracelet with a EULIT Germany 24mm Black Riveted Cuff Buffalo-Grain Leather Mens Watch Strap.