YED Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save nav_sap_shop_all_hm_cal Shop now Shop Popular Services SneakyPete SneakyPete SneakyPete  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Go Explore Outdoor Recreation on Amazon NYNN

Showing 1-10 of 125 reviews(Verified Purchases). Show all reviews
on January 31, 2015
First, I should mention that I tried several E6B watches before I settled on this one. The others were Seiko models, a brand I have worn for the past 20 years. The Seiko models are all well built but I could not read the slide rule scales except in bright lighting conditions. The main issue was the size of the text and scribe lines on the Seikos. There is a lot going on in a very small space. The slide rule on this Citizen watch is easier to read and work with.

In no particular order here are my observations after having worn the AT8020-54L for a few weeks now:

First, the watch is a solid, well-built machine. The workmanship is excellent as are fit and finish. The face is large and easy to read. The numbers and hands are not very bright at night and it takes me a moment or two to orient, though they are readable. I do miss the bright radium dials we had when I was younger.

The watch band is a little on the small side for my large hands and wrist. It leaves a faint imprint on my wrist when I remove it. As the watch band came at its largest setting I do not see how it can be lengthened without adding another link and I have no more links. The band is solidly made and the clasp has a positive locking feature - nice.

The precision of the slide rule scales is the best I've encountered in E6Bs. A large 43mm case means more space for the slide rule text. There is a single scale on the outer bezel which is easier to read than other E6B's I have tried. The bezel is rotated using the knob at the 8 o'clock position. The bezel is completely contained inside the watch face and will not be knocked out of alignment by bumping against something. If you wear gloves the knob can be tricky to get hold of. The scales align precisely around the circumference when "60" is rolled to the 12 o'clock position. There is no tachometer scale (hyperbolic function) on this watch so you have to do that math logarithmically. Use the stop watch to measure the time for a single event in secs, then place 36 (for 3,600 - converting secs to hours) on the outer scale over that time for a single event on the inner scale. Look outside the 10 mark on the inner scale to see your answer in units per hour.

The stop watch has a 1/20th of a sec resolution and is quite precise. It does NOT have a split time feature though. You can start and stop the second counter by pressing the upper knob but when the watch is stopped, so is its time keeping function. As a race fan I really miss the split time feature.

The watch has a small radio receiver and will try to update itself relative to established atomic references each morning. There is a small scale to the left of the lower subdial which indicates if the latest update was successful. I have an atomic reference app on my iPhone which is well within a small fraction of a second with the watch as I write this. I believe the watch is the more accurate of the two.

As a perpetual calendar watch, I am ecstatic that I should never have to set the date again. The watch accommodates leap years and any month with less than 31 days. It also manages to handle daylight savings automatically if you toggle that feature.

The watch is powered by a rechargeable battery which gets its charge from photovoltaics cleverly integrated into the watch face. They are well-hidden - I cannot spot them. Well done Citizen. The upper subdial indicates the charge level and I have never seen it come off the full charge mark but the batteries are still young.

The middle subdial (9 o'clock position) presents a 24 hr clock face. It would be nice if this dial could be set to Zulu time while the main watch indicated local. Maybe this can be done? I still have not figured out all the features this thing brings to the fight.

Resetting the time for different time zones is simple. Around the inside of the watch bezel are 3-letter representations of different major cities (time zones) around the globe. Pull the crown out to the first setting and the second hand moves to point to the current time zone by major city. Twist the crown and the second hand moves discretely from city to city until you're happy. Close the crown and the watch will reset itself automatically to the new time and date, daylight savings included. So simple. Here are some of the cities: NYC, RIO, LON, ATH, TYO, HKO, SYD, LAX, et al.

All in all, this is a very nice watch for the price. I just wish it had split times so I could watch the Audis pull away from the Peugeots at le Mans.
on May 14, 2015
Last year I bought my husband the Skyhawk A - T eco drive, and when women started wearing the "boyfriend watch" I looked around but could not find any that I loved. One day I borrowed his own and fell in love. Sadly the watch itself was a little too thick for my tiny wrists. This watch is thinner and lighter than his and fits me beautifully. I love the Citizen brand so it was a no brainer for me. The blue and yellow combination attracted me to it, and I have received so many compliments even though it is obviously a man's watch. The band in my view could have been like the A - T skyhawk, but since it was not intended for me, I guess I ought not complain. Amazon's price was so much lower than my local jewelry store which made the decision so much easier for me. Wish Citizen would take a hint and make something similar for us ladies.
review image review image
on December 23, 2014
The world of watches is obviously subjective -- highly subjective, in fact -- and many will argue brands and features and prices to no end, when really much of it amounts to mere personal opinion, versus true knowledge or industry expertise.

The fact of the matter is asking yourself what you want your watch to do, what you want it to look like while accomplishing those functions, and how much you are willing to pay, to get what you want.

I was looking for a watch specifically for travel that can instantly change to different time zones. I wanted good water resistance, solid lume for display in the dark, a chronograph and at least a date feature, if not date with day as well. A bonus would be a sapphire crystal. I wanted it to look stylish, have some distinction to it, and not cost an arm and a leg.

That may all seem a tall order, but not for this Citizen.

Widely regarded as a "best choice" selection, and with appearances on more than a few "top watch" lists, this World Time Chronograph is nothing short of brilliant. Not only did it give me all, and even, more than what I wanted, but has the added bonus of being an Eco-Drive watch, one of those with the proprietary Citizen tech of being powered by light. So, no battery to worry about, but not the hassle of an automatic that needs a watch winder when not in use.

Photos do not do this watch justice, and it wasn't until seeing some YT videos of it, and reading/watching various reviews, that I was really sold as this being the one that I wanted. I was hesitant at first only because, shortly before they really went big with the Eco-Drive technology, I did own a Blue Angels Navihawk, battery powered, that died after not much use, so I was a bit put off of the brand, but it seems things have improved (or maybe I just got a lemon back in those days) since general feedback on Citizen is very good. Like Seiko, they offer some truly world leading features.

It's not a Swiss time piece, obviously, so it doesn't come with bragging rights for those who care about such things, relative to what matters to them, but, as I say, I was looking for specific functions, and world time that changes on the fly (or at the push of a button) is not something a lot of Swiss or even luxe brands care much about, outside of having a GMT (sometimes UTC, especially on a German piece) feature. You can spend half a million dollars on a watch, literally, and still not have the convenience this watch provides (as do other models from Citizen, and as do other watch makers, such as Seiko) where you just twist an indicator over to a city, push a button and, presto, new time is displayed.

This is also a radio controlled watch, meaning that it will seek, once per day, to connect to one of five worldwide "atomic" clock signals at a specific time (or on demand, if you prefer) in order to adjust itself for accuracy, in order to be dead on true as an incredibly accurate time keeper. It should be noted that such is not always so simply accomplished however -- for example, when in the city, it may not be able to establish any connection, due to interference -- so it's not a feature that "works" unless there is very clear and unobstructed access to the atomic clock signal being broadcast.

In other words, don't expect the automatic radio controlled accuracy feature to work from inside an apartment building in the middle of a metropolitan area. If that's where you live, it's a bit of a useless feature then, given that, in order to access the signal in the USA, for example, you'd need to leave your apartment and go outside to where you can find an unobstructed signal zone, determine how to face the watch receiver toward Fort Collins, and do so at a time when the signal is strongest, for best results, such as at two in the morning. Not exactly a convenience, in that instance, having to head out to a field somewhere in your jammies in the middle of the night, hoping not to be mistaken for a weirdo...

Even so, the watch is certainly more than accurate enough for use, even without lining itself up to the atomic clock once per day. Mine has yet to be adjusted to "true" time, but, in checking in on the atomic clock, mine is within a quarter second of accuracy, so that's not bad. I certainly won't be late to any appointments, with accuracy on that level.

The looks, as I've said, are far better in person. It has a beautiful sense of "depth" to it, and the aircraft instrument styling is completely impressive. The "Blue Angels" edition I have is gorgeously detailed, with yellow accenting that spices up the look just enough to be noticed. Check out YT vids, or blog reviews, to see the watch from all angles, and you'll see what I mean. You can stare at this thing for hours, just to admire it.

If you're not a fan of the Blue Angels version, keep in mind it comes in other variations.

While some may think the dial is a bit busy, for all that is happening in a 43mm size space, it presents itself as a very clean look, and possibly it's just the inner slide rule bezel (operated beautifully by rotating the button at lower left) that seems to make it cluttered, but in person it's a very crisp and easy to read design, overall.

Keep in mind too it's delivering a lot of facts in that small area -- date, day of the week, radio signal reception indicator, 24 hour indicator, power reserve indicator, DST indicator, chronograph and world time features, etc.

There are, of course, plenty of watches with less going on, but then you have to minus those features from what you're getting, plus be stuck with a much less interesting watch. For this model, the richness of detail is part of what makes it stand out -- very nice to glance down at your wrist and see what looks like the instrument panel of a fighter jet.

Although this watch is also sold with a leather band, I opted for the stainless steel bracelet, to dress it up a little, since the leather, when combined with the already sporty dial, makes it seem more suited to a weekender watch, rather than something you could also wear to the office (depending on your office, of course, ahaha). The bracelet itself, in brushed stainless, is well made, comfortable, and was easily adjusted for perfect fit. It is a lightweight watch, easy to wear.

In terms of the Eco-Drive feature, this is my first Eco-Drive watch, and I was worried a bit from some complaints I've read that, without regular, focused charging periods, these watches may start to lose their juice, so to speak, but, thus far, simple routine wearing, even in this darker wintery weather, has been more than sufficient to keep the charge up, so no complaints at all with the technology there, which, as ubiquitous as it is within the Citizen brand, is, I'm sure, something they've perfected by now.

Even so, the manual did come with a range of disclaimers, and did suggest that it should be specifically charged on occasion, in full sunlight, for optimum performance, so keep that in mind, since that's a bit more fussing than a battery powered watch that just keeps on keeping on, whether being worn, or on a shelf. Seems more than worth it though, at least IMHO.

Overall, I think this is a stunning time keeper, and well worth the rave reviews and kudos of acclaim it has received.

Do be aware that prices here on Amazon tend to run less than other places, and I learned that Amazon is an Authorized Dealer, according to Citizen, so you still get the full warranty from Citizen, when buying on Amazon. Go Amazon, go!!!

In summary, while it may be less watch than other options (depending on feature set) when listed up at the six hundred dollar range, priced far less, as it was on Amazon, it was an exceptional buy and a huge amount of "watch for the buck" compared to any other offering. At any price, there just aren't a lot of watches with this range of features and certainly Citizen, as well as Seiko and some others, are the masters of this realm, but, at the price provided here, the feature set is nearly impossible to rival, with not only accurate time keeping, chronograph and perpetual calendar all on board, but also the "on the fly" world time adjustment, atomic time keeping (when possible) and all packaged under a true sapphire crystal in a case with full 200m Water Resistance.

Citizen really hit this one out of the park.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND
on March 29, 2013
The automatic update of the time and ease of changing the cities you travel to is fantastic. I love the looks to. I have 4 other citizen A-T watches and I think this is my favorite. Citizen builds an excellent watch with all the new technology that you can wear anywhere including in the ocean. The price is reasonable and the quality and reliability exceptional.
on October 27, 2016
I absolutely LOVE this watch. It feels good on my wrist, and it looks beautiful. Other reviewers have said it best: The pictures don't do it justice. It looks even better in person than in the photos. I find myself just sitting and looking at it more often than I'd like to admit. Not having to set the time or date again is awesome. The numbers don't glow in the dark as brightly as I would like, but I don't need that very often anyway. The hands and numbers can be seen; they're just a little faint.

Be warned: The watch will not work right out of the box because it's powered by light, and it's been sitting in a closed box for a period of time. I set in direct sunlight for four or five hours, and then I was able to set the time zone and all was good.

Also, the band is pretty big, so you will probably have to take it to a jeweler (I took mine to Kohl's and they sized it for free) to get it sized properly. I have what I consider to be normal-sized wrists, and it fits perfectly (see attached pictures). I could not be happier with my purchase. The only downside is that I didn't buy it sooner.
review image review image review image
on August 13, 2016
You're going to need to read all the instructions if you want to take advantage of all the features this incredibly attractive watch.

I travel across multiple timezones frequently, and one of the cool features is the radio control feature which will automatically adjust the time as you move from timezone to timezone. I wear a Rolex DeepSea Sea-Dweller every day, but this is my go-top travel watch.

The dial is full of information, but it remains on the good side of cluttered.

There is a wonderful gold accents around the bezel which is difficult to see in a photo looking directly at the face, and it's a wonderful detail. The pushers and story dial all have a blue accent as well. You can see Citizen paid attention to the detail.

Eco-Drive on this quartz piece is wonderful, and both sunlight as well as indoor lighting provide more than enough reserve power that you won't be wondering if your timepiece is giving you accurate time.

I chose the stainless steel bracelet, and I'd LOVE a chance to review the leather strap that comes as an option. Citizen did a really good job with their bracelet. It's brushed finish is consistent and compliments the polished & brushed case very nicely. There are polished accents on the bracelet that clearly tell me Citizen matched the watch with the bracelet.

The clasp is a butterfly and operates securely and smoothly. One downside is the ability to make only one incremental adjustment on the buckle, and it's 4mm one way. If that doesn't work, you're forced to add or remove a link. The links are NOT screw links, so you'll be making a stop at your jeweler to have the adjustment done properly. The bracelet is very comfortable and quiet.

I have a relatively thin, 7.25" wrist, so take a look at my photo (my watch on my wrist) so you can get a sense how it'll compliment yours.

Overall, I love this watch and would recommend it to any watch enthusiast.
review image
on December 12, 2013
This is a great and comfortable watch to wear everyday. The watch is very accurate as it receives the signal every night. Although this is not the skyhawk line watch, I love the the dial and bezel design. Highly recommended.
on November 4, 2013
Love this watch! Extremely well made and beautifully designed. Band was easily adjusted myself by removing a few links. Just be sure to look for the directional arrows on the inside of the band to remove the pins properly. The radio function (atomic clock) is superb. Just came off of daylight savings time here in the east and didn't have to do anything. It auto adjusted in the middle of the night. It's a fairly complex watch, but I found the step by step instructions will walk you through any adjustments pretty easily. All you really need to do at first purchase is set the time zone for your part of the world and force the radio feature to update. Within a few minutes it will set everything else all by itself. Just remember to keep it near a window when using the atomic clock (radio) function so it has an unobstructed signal path. You need to keep it in the same spot till it updates as well. Mine updated in just a few minutes, but the instructions say it could take up to 30 minutes. The Citizen website has everything you need, including how to videos for adjusting settings. I have a few other Citizen watches and this one's the best by far. My new favorite for sure. I find I actually like this better than some of the high end watches I have. It is a large watch, so if you have a small wrist this may not be the best choice. Can't go wrong with anything Citizen.
on October 12, 2016
This is a great watch for the money. I was in the market for a new watch because my Casio EQB-500-1A does not connect via bluetooth to my Blackberry Z30 (for world time setting when traveling) so I had decided finally to switch to a watch that handles it's own timesetting via for example GPS. I did alot of research before buying this Citizen Blue Angels watch. Initially at the inception of my research I was interested in the Seiko Astron GPS line of watches but they are all mostly $1000+ watches and I wasn't quite convinced they were what I wanted. Eventually I looked into the Citizen Eco-Drive line of watches. As most of my travel would be in the 26 world time zones covered by this watch, and as the radio-controlled automatic time set is available in the zones I would most likely travel in (Europe, Japan, US, SA) I felt this would meet the requirements. If you read the other review (over 200 of them) this watch gets almost unanimous rave reviews. It's solar powered, gets an updated time signal each day, can be set VERY easily to your new timezone when traveling (you won't need to consult the manual each time to do it) handles DST automatically (with a manual set option if you need it) and is currently priced very competitively at $320. On this point I will complain a bit that when I bought it from Amazon Prime the price was $487 but just a few days after I got it Amazon reduced the same Amazon Prime watch to $320. I asked Amazon if they would just do a price match and refund me the $167 difference, but no, I had to order a new exact same watch from Amazon for $320, then do a return of the exact same watch to Amazon, which as I told Amazon is "silly" unless you think about the fact that Amazon gets use of the float of all that money while all this exchanging is going on. That being said, Amazon processed my return immediately the package was in the UPS system before even receiving it, so they were quick on that and all-in-all even though the buy-and-return rigamarole was well, a rigamarole, it was ok and I can live with it, and in the end I got my additional $167 back (pending but they have never failed to credit back returns so I expect it will show up in the next day or two). Also, adjusting the metal link strap is easy peasy just be sure you push the pins out in the direction of the arrow, and be sure you put them back in "rounded (non-split) end in and AGAINST the arrow on reassembly - the idea is you slide the rounded end of the pin back in against the arrow and then the compression of the split (cotter-pin-like) end is compressed and holds the pin in place, Then just give the pin a small push with the end of a paper clip or something to finally seat it. It can all be done with a paper clip or a micro awl you should not use any hammers etc. contrary to what you might see on some videos etc. God forbid do not ever use a hammer to shorten a metal link watchband - not necessary! Update I live in St. Louis county and if I put the 9PM side of my watch on a nightstand across the room from a window that looks to the northwest, the time signal update from Colorado is successful every single night. Our bedroom with is on the opposite side from the northwest in this house with very old-school solid heavy-duty walls does not always get the signal, so I had to start putting the watch on the nightstand in the aforementioned guest bedroom on the northwest side.
on July 20, 2016
The Citizen Blue Angel World Chronograph is a well made timepiece that is beautifully detailed and well appointed. This watch is not for those with small wrists as the size is substantial and somewhat weighty. I love the way it looks and the way the wristband clasp latches with buttery-smooth precision. Given the suggested retail price, Amazon price and delivery are tough to beat.
review image