Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts spring Shop Popular Services siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 76 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 88 reviews
on March 15, 2013
I wanted to add a few facts about the Citizen AW1018-55E sold by Amazon.

Size - in CURRENT men's fashion this might be considered a "mid-size" watch at 43mm across. I emphasized the word current above because watches in general are much larger than they were a generation ago. But in an era where Invicta and other companies routinely sell watches of 50mm and larger, 43mm is currently a "mid-size." I would also note that this is a thin watch compared to some of the larger chronographs currently on the market.

Weight - here are the weights of some new and older watches I currently own:
Citizen AW1018-55E - 138g, 4.9oz (this watch)
 Citizen Eco Drive Calibre 2100 Watch (AV0031-59A) - 192g, 6.7oz
 Seiko Men's SKA201 Arctura Kinetic Watch - 172g, 6.1oz
 Casio Men's G9100-1 G-Shock Gulfman Watch - 58g, 2.0oz
Older small (35mm?) Seiko chronograph - 74g, 2.6oz
So calling this watch "heavy" totally depends on what you are comparing it to. Compared to my older small watches and the resin Casio it certainly is heavy, but compared to the chunky chronographs I have worn recently it feels fairly light, with the band being particularly light weight.

Color - the picture of the AW1018-55E doesn't accurately depict the watch, IMHO. In reality, the entire watch is black - but the inner 3/4 of the band and most of the watch case is a flat black finish while the outer part of the band and some bits of the case near the crown are a glossy finish. I personally would have preferred the entire watch to be a flat black, but I'm still quite happy with how the watch looks.

(Edit - I've now added a picture to illustrate the color / finish of the watch a bit better than the stock photo does.)

My take - for a modern watch this is relatively lightweight, sleek, and handsome. It's a great alternative to a chronograph if you want a classic less cluttered look. My only concern is how well the black finish will wear over time, but as of now I'm very happy with this watch.

Edit December 2013 - over time the black "ion" finish has begun to wear, esp. on the snap closure. I still like the watch, and I expected some wear eventually, but the amount of wear on the snap has surprised me.
review image
on September 25, 2012
I have had this watch for one month. I am still happy about the quality and the look of this watch. This is the watch that I want.
on May 14, 2014
I liked the watch, but the black band has begun to fade. I work in an office and take good care of it. It is too expensive to begin fading this fast. I wonder what it will look like in 2 years. I will be trying to send it back.
on August 7, 2012
The watch came promptly and was exactly what was pictured. It is a very nice watch and goes well with any business attire. Citizen makes a quality watch and I am definitely going to purchase more of that brand in the future if I have the funds.
on May 29, 2014
This is the most attractive men's watch with its' stunning all black band and face and its' clean manly lines. The best part of this watch is the fact that it does not require a battery - it is powered by light - any kind of light!! If you like clean, striking lines for an excellent price - get this watch. You will not be sorry!!! I gave this as a gift to my grandson and he was thrilled beyond words.
on June 16, 2014
I've only had the watch for about 2 months but I take it into the hospital daily and it is banged around and washed on a regular basis with not a scuff or scratch to be seen. The watch keeps time just fine, the only issue I've had was the adjustment knob being pulled out by my gloves. The glove issue was quickly remedied by switching the wrist I wear my watch on so the gloves wouldn't snag.
on February 10, 2015
I wear this watch every day and really like it. However one year later I have noticed that the band black color is wearing off on the inside near the clasp. I would not expect that from a watch at this price.
on May 19, 2014
Bought his watch for my boyfriend for his birthday in March. He has worn it for maybe 10 days total since he got it and the black paint or outer coating, whatever it is, is already rubbing off. I love the way it looks on him, but expected better quality.
on February 27, 2013
Quick heads-up about the look of the watch. The glass face projects about an eighth of an inch from the top of the watch. It is sort of sitting on top of the watch instead of being built-in. It would be impossible to make this watch look ugly but it does make a difference.
on March 21, 2015
Overall, a very comfortable, great looking watch if you're looking for something metal and black. The only problem I have experienced with this watch is that the black finish comes off fairly easily when it comes into contact with desks, tables, etc. Over time, the finish will fade where you rest your wrist. Overall, it is more of a nuisance than anything worth focusing on, and doesn't affect the overall functionality of the timepiece.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.