BCA Month Beauty Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now FFII_gno

on November 9, 2014
Awesome dive watch for the money, I converted stock band with aftermarket Citizilla lug adaptors and a 7 row brushed stainless band that matches case perfectly. I have many watches but I can't seem to wear anything else right now it's my favorite. Highly recommend for those who like a big heavy dive watch.
review image
33 comments| 113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 18, 2014
First just a bit of history, I am a Rescue Diver with PADI and have been since 1990. I have been a dive watch lover since I was a very young boy. I have and have had many, many dive watches, Seiko Pro DIvers, the first Citizen analog Aqualand with the depth gauge built in, several Luminox watches, many G-Shocks as well as some more expensive brands such as Breitling etc. This is stated only to allow you to know that I am not a novice to dive watches and dive watch design. I am a heavy equipment Salesman in Florida by trade and am constantly on, around and under machinery. I needed a watch that was reliable and fairly tough. I am not intentionally rough on watches but the environment I am in can be tough just by its nature.

After really researching my next watch purchase I kept coming back to this watch. As I am, sure you have read this watch is big. I am 6'2" and around 220-225. It fits me well. I do not know my wrist size. It sits tall on the arm, so much so that you have to adjust your movements of your watch arm as it can hit things, a week or so in and I was adjusted. There is a design feature that I think some folks don't quite understand regarding the crown. The crown of this watch is on the left hand side. Many reviews indicate that this was done for comfort. Rest assured this may be so but this would be a secondary reason. The crown is on the left as this watch was specifically designed to be a professional commercial divers watch and is ISO certified as such. This is a rough job, welding, working with large tools, hammering etc. all under water. The crown is on the left side specifically to keep it from being damaged during this type of work. Yes it also will keep it from digging into your hand as well. The watch is quite simply profoundly robust. I see some complain that this (the crown being on the left side of the watch) makes it tough to adjust and with it on I can see that being the case. All that you have to do is just slide it off and make the adjustment. In my opinion this is a small thing and should not really detract from the overall watch enjoyment.

Also as you might have read it has a very specific band and band attachment system that is not like any other. This design is an extremely stout band mounting system which falls in line with its build quality overall. It does represent an issue if you want to change bands however. Fortunately there are some adapters that can be bought to enable the use of other popular bands (a short visit to any dive watch forum and you can secure this information). I myself do not find the standard band that uncomfortable. I can see if you are between the sizing holes (one too lose and the next too tight) how it could be however. The band is extremely strong, it would take an enormous amount of force to cause this band to break.

One very important feature of any dive watch to me is the luminosity of the hands and markers and their ability to remain legible for long periods of time. This watch is still very easy to read in the morning when I wake up. And by this I mean all of it, I can even make out the second hand ticking away in the morning. Even the small dot in the bezel @ 12 is very legible. This is anywhere from 6-8 hours after I go to sleep, so it is really excellent in this regard. If you come from a bright day outside into an area that is darker, say like going into a restaurant, the watch looks almost radioactive as it glows super bright. The color of the lume is different than most other watches as it is a light aqua blue color. For me the ability to still read the time early in the morning is very important. Having this luminosity for diving, working at night etc. is a great feature. I wanted something that has a lot of contrast and that I could simply glance at and know the time. This watch delivers this in spades. The orange minute hand along with the white hour hand and the watch face make attaining the time instant upon giving it a glance. .

The watch is accurate to about 4 seconds a month which is excellent by any standard. This accuracy and the knowledge that the watch should give me between (at least) 15-20 years of service before it needs anything in the way of service (assuming nothing drastic happens obviously) are very reassuring due to the Eco-Drive system. I have several friends who have eco-Drives, some for over 12 years now, and none of them have ever had an issue. Be advised however that this watch nor any Eco-Drive watch should be stored in a dark area for any extended length of time. It would seem that most all who have had problems have had problems due to the watch being stored to the point where it loses its charge. Under normal circumstances all the watch should need is good light and to be re-set, but it does appear that sometimes they have to be sent in. One very neat feature of this watch is how it communicates its status to you. Once the charge level goes below a certain level the second hand will start to move in 2 second intervals. If it has gone dead it has another staggered pattern that it moves in that indicates that it knows it has lost time and needs to be re-set. None of this should be an issue for me as I intend on wearing this watch every day.

I had read before purchasing this watch that that it was possible and likely that the second hand would not line up exactly with each minute mark and mine is this way. It is a little off (just a touch) to the right but you really have to look closely to notice this. And the bezel does have a slight clacking sound if you give it a light rap with your fingers but it works very well and is 60 clicks per revolution. Sure it would be great to have the 120 click silky smooth action of the Seiko divers watches but for the excellent build quality of this watch I am fine with it as it is. If the watch was at a higher price point then this would be a little more of an issue. I think the majority of the money on this watch is spent on the case and movement. Most watches at this price point have some trade offs and I personally am fine with it the way it is. I was able to get the minute hand absolutely right on the minute marks when the second hand reaches 12 and this is much more important to me (it did take me a few times).

My decision came down to the Seiko Monster or the Ecozilla. In the end I went with the Ecozilla as many of the Seiko Monster owners report that the watches are not terribly accurate. This is not a knock on Seiko as I love Seiko and I think that the Monster represents an outstanding value. I am very particular about a watches accuracy, 4 seconds a month is much easier for me to deal with than minutes a month. Still I love the Seiko Monster and will eventually buy one as I love the automatic movement.

This is truly an exceptional value watch. The build quality in this price range, in my opinion, is unmatched. You get a watch depth rated to 984 feet (round it off to 1000 to be a simple figure), a 6 mm crystal, outstanding lume and accuracy, and one of the more rugged watch cases around. I know it is not for everyone and I myself don't think it is a "Beautiful" watch. What I do know is that I have a watch that is extremely robust in its build quality, extremely accurate, that I can dive with, work with and read early in the morning, that should provide me with years of service.

All in all I really like it.
44 comments| 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 15, 2012
Yeah it's a little big, but it fits great. I haven't taken it off since it arrived. After the first day or two you don't even realize you have it on. The strap is different, but it keeps the watch secure and doesn't allow it to flip around on your wrist. It's super accurate (so far) and the second hand lines up with the markers... which is very important on a quartz watch.
This one is definitely a keeper!

UPDATE:
I've been wearing this watch almost 24-7 since the day I got it. Last night I took it off and noticed that the metal band keeper, was wearing a hole in my wrist. Looks like I'm going to have to find a different band for it :(

UPDATE II:
I was wearing the watch 24-7.. or, I was wearing it while sleeping. I stopped doing that, and the metal keeper stopped wearing a hole in my wrist... fair trade if you ask me! LOL. : )
on February 8, 2013
First...yes, it's big. And heavy. But then, that's why you get a watch like this. If you're not sure about the size of it, then it's probably not for you. The case itself isn't too bad at 48mm, but at 18mm deep, it really stands off your wrist.

The 'Tuna Can' does one thing, and one thing well...it tells the time. No issues with time keeping yet...but would expect +/- a few seconds a year. Ok, it also tells the date, and elapsed time for diving, but, this is not a 'gadget watch'.

It looks fantastic. No picture i've seen of it does it justice. This watch looks good! The black band, the lume, the over-sized hands...it has that "serious watch" look.

The Citizen name plus the Eco-drive make this watch worth the price. Throw in the 300m depth, and the giant size of it, and it's just a great watch.

Definitely the biggest watch I've ever owned, but this "tank on my wrist" will likely be with me for many, many, many years to come.

If you're a dive watch fan, or a BIG watch fan, you need this watch.
on November 22, 2011
This is a great watch. The only issue I have had is that the seconds hand did not line up perfectly with the tick marks. At first I was going to send it back but I decided to let the movement settle out. It took about a week or so but now the watch ticks perfectly! I will now list the pro/cons of the watch below.

Pro:
Easily read dial
Very good build and quality. Looks like its made out of one piece of steel.
Solar powered means no battery changes!
Lume on the watch is very bright.

Con:
To some it is heavy but I got used to it.
It is very large meaning that sometimes I smack it into a door way or wall. Once you realize its on your wrist you will naturally compensate and this rarely happens now.
The band looks and feels a bit cheap but works fine. We will see how long it lasts.

All in all its a great watch if you like the style. Only major downside is its size; doesnt go well with a dress shirt (wont fit under cuff). For the price you cant go wrong!
on July 12, 2013
Got the watch today, i must say it's very very nice piece. I have an Omega Seamaster and a Seiko Dive watch, and this watch feels and looks like built like a tank compare to those two. I LOVE IT!

Cons:

This is more from the seller than the watch itself. I have everything included in the package "per say", though i am missing the face and back clear vinyl protector like new watches should come with, although, i've bought watches in Asia that IS and WAS don't come with any ( not sure why that is ). The Warranty and Manual should be inside the box or the least either be on top or side of the box but both was not. The tag that hangs is also doesn't appear to be genuine. The case back not properly lined up is normal. I am most certainly sure the watch is not fake, i have a few in my collection with a Rolex as the top brand. With that being said, i don't have the proper knowledge to evaluate that this watch is indeed real. For the watch itself i give it a 5 star and recommend to other people to buy it. Sadly, i'll take the half star (no option so i am sticking with 5) away because of the things i stated above.
on May 28, 2016
Love the watch. To be quite honest, it's my favorite of the dozen watches I own.
The good: This is definitely a masculine watch, large, heavy, rugged and looks the part. I have not tested it in water yet, but the construction alone leave me with no doubt that it will function perfectly for the purpose it was designed. I have received several compliments on it so its attractiveness goes beyond just my subjective opinion.
The Bad: It is large, heavy and rugged (smile) I have been wearing this watch to work and unlike all of the other watches I wear, I know this one is on my wrist; again, it is large, sits high on the wrist and, if you are not careful, it will hit everything you walk by. The date on the watch is virtually useless, WAY to small to see without a magnifying glass. The rubber band although strong and attractive, is uncomfortable and unforgiving. It is either too tight or too loose and in either case, it seems to pinch and squeeze uncomfortably. During the day I find myself adjusting, twisting, squeezing, trying to find a comfortable fit. At the end of the day taking it off is akin to taking off a pair of ill fitting shoes (what a relief!!) I will be seeking out other band options after my bank account has recovered.
Despite my complaints, the watch is still an attractive buy but it is not a watch for wearing everyday around the office. I bought it for diving and to replace an aqua-land I had many moons ago, so I am quite happy with the purchase and would still recommend because I believe this thing will out live me.
on January 21, 2017
Gift to my boyfriend and he loves it! Good quality. Looks great! Product as described. He wears it every day and it has held up fine for a year! (as one would hope) The face did get scratched by a dog :( But I guess that's not very preventable or the company's fault.
on May 30, 2012
The BJ8050-08E is an exceptionally sturdy, well built, solid diving watch. I read several comments before buying the watch regarding it's size and weight. I'm a fairly regular sized guy at 6'1", 210 lbs. , This watch is not oddly large on my wrist whatsoever. It's larger than average to be certain but it's a perfect fit for me. I don't understand the "it's too heavy" comments. For sure it's a heavy, sturdy, man sized watch but the weight is not an issue. The illumination at night is great, easy to read and very clear. The strap is comfortable and I've gotten more than a few "hey that's a cool watch" comments. That's not why I got it, I was simply looking for a rugged casual watch that will last and that can survive a few dives now and then. This is my second Citizen watch, it's an exceptionally good value brand, great functionality and durability at reasonable prices.
on May 11, 2017
Everything about this watch is excellent would highly recommend.