Truck Season Automotive Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on September 12, 2013
**UPDATE** - Well it is now about 1 ½ years and this has become my daily go-to watch for business and pleasure. Just as accurate as I could have hoped for and still looking like new. The strap has held up as well, no curling, no fraying and no fading. It is true that the stainless reinforced eyelets on the strap could have been placed closer together for a more customizable fit, but that's it. This watch is a no frills workhorse. No chronograph, no clutter. In fact, the Eco-Drive and not having to change batteries, the screw-down crown, the weep second hand, the incredible luminosity and the 200M water resistance are all the frills I need. This is just plain...awesome.

**Original Post - no edits**
I really did not know what to expect for this price and wow, I am impressed. I have owned another inexpensive Eco-Drive for the past 6-years and have not had a single problem with it. I am hoping for the same here. This watch borders on masterful simplicity. I hate cluttered faces. Yes, the numbers are larger than normal, but they are easy to read and give you incredible lume at night, even after it fades. What you cannot make out from the web-page pics is that the numerals have almost a mother of pearl inlay appearance and each numeral is framed/outlined in stainless to compliment the brushed stainless case and the eyelets on the canvas strap. 200M resistance and a screw-down crown...at this price? Yes! Very comfortable and both classy/dressy and sporty at the same time. Whoever designed this model should be given a promotion. The second-hand is spot-on and the accuracy, when compared to that of my iPhone, has not skipped a beat so far. I can understand where the spacing of the eyelets could cause some amount of play on the wrist for some, but it has not been a problem for me. Heck. for this price, if you are having a problem with the band, replace it. With the efficiency and care-free enjoyment of owning a Citizen Eco-Drive, you should not be buying this for the strap anyway. However, I love the strap. It is rugged, durable and every bit as nice, if not classier, than any Nato or Zulu strap. Get this one...because you will not find a better watch at this price.
on July 2, 2013
I came across this watch accidentally while comparing a wide variety of similar Citizen, Seiko, Nite, watches.
I found the Citizen Royal Marine Commando watch and from there was fortunate enough to trace it down to this watch.

Pros

- One of the VERY FEW watches rated for 200M depth (especially at the price)
- Has a screw on crown
- Understated, no fuss, "manly" design
- Feels solidly built but doesn't weigh a ton
- Not too large and I believe I have a small wrist (at 6.5in circumference)
- Solar powered
- My second and minute hands were perfectly aligned (I believe others had complained they may not have been).
- Good looking strap that fits perfectly and is not ridiculously wide. Metal grommets add to the militaristic design.
- Strap is not rough as others had suggested.

Cons

- I was concerned that the date display was too small. It is small but even without my glasses I can still read it.
- 21mm lug means you have to go with a smaller lug strap. I have ordered the Hadley Roma MS890 waterproof leather to go with this. I will post a picture when it arrives.

There is a great review on jikanwatch.blogspot.com/2011/03/citizen-bm6400-citizens-field-watch.html

I understand that Citizen has also made a version that is radio synchronized. This would be the icing on the cake for this watch. But I have not been able to locate it.
on November 30, 2013
Personally, I'm very satisfied with this watch thus far, since I didn't like the band in the picture and was planning on replacing the band before I even made the purchase. In person, my hunch was correct, I dislike the band in person as well. While its kind of interesting for a field watch band, I ultimately found it made the whole watch look plainer than it really is, and I also found it to be very uncomfortable. The watch itself, I'm surprised how much I like though. I'm generally a big fan of Arabic numerals, and I think this looks great in person. I was a bit concerned about the hands when I ordered it because I thought a pencil minute hand looked kind of odd (maybe mismatched would be a better way to describe it) with the arrow hour hand, but in person this doesn't bother me. It looks better than some 2 arrow combinations, and I also find I like it better than most watches with 2 pencil style hands since its less plain and easier to read. The lume isn't as good as my Seiko Divers, but this is still pretty easy to read in the dark. The watch face and case look great, and with the screw in caseback and screwdown crown, I'm confident I can knock this watch around for years without ruining it. Also, when paired with a nice band, the watch looks stunning. I had more of an aviator style band in mind when I bought this watch, so I briefly swapped the canvas strap with the brown leather/contrast stitched band from my Hamilton Khaki Pilot, and the combination made for one of the nicest looking watches I'd ever seen. This will be a staple for me as soon as I get a nice color or contrast stitched band on it. Total combined cost of watch and band will be between $140-$150 which is a bargain imo (My Seiko Kinetic Divers cost me $250 and $300 respectively, and the Hamilton ran me a bit over $300). This is also an Eco-Drive of course, which is another huge plus for me. I hate changing batteries, and I know this makes me a philistine to many people, but I hate the finicky nature of mechanical watches. Obviously, if this watch randomly fails in a few months or even years, I'll come back and cut the rating, but I don't see or hear of that happening very often with Citizen watches, so I expect I'll be able to leave this rating as is. If Citizen offered a nice leather band (like say the one for their orange faced Aviator style watch) I'd probably leave a 5 star rating. Even though I personally will end up with what I feel is a 5 star product at a very low price, the product definitely isn't perfect out of the box, so if this review is to provide a decent guide for other buyers, you definitely need to know that the band Citizen provides will probably be an issue for you. Oh one final note, The claimed accuracy rating is somewhat less than that of my Seiko Kinetic Divers (+-20 seconds per month vs +- 15 seconds per month for my Seikos) whether Seiko simply measures their timekeeping more optimistically or whether these estimates are accurate I can't tell you for sure, but I will note that my Seiko Kinetic Divers do seem,to deviate less than my 2 Casio G Shock watches (also claimed +-20 seconds per month, where I store the G-Shocks they don't seem able to receive the atomic clock signal). Anyway bottom line, this is a really cool watch that I love, available at a great price, paired with a crappy (but easily replaceable) band. Highly recommended for anyone who, like me, is willing to replace the band. Also, if you are a little more gentle with your watches than I am, then the BM8180-03E and BV1085-06E are also worth a look (I didn't get those because I'm personally afraid to own any watch without a protected crown, but that's just me). I'll post a pic with the new band when I get it. This is a great looking watch that comes on a very plain band.
One person found this helpful
on May 14, 2011
This is my first Citizen Eco-Drive watch. When I first started shopping, I was in the market for a Swiss-made chronograph in the $250 range. Since I like simple, easy-to-read face designs, I soon determined that the chronograph look was too cluttered and mainly for looks only. I also like a large, sweep seconds-hand instead of the miniature seconds-hand buried in the chrono subdials.

During my searches, I kept on coming back to several Citizen models and was intrigued by their light-powered Eco-Drive movement. The more I thought about it, the Eco-Drive is truly revolutionary compared to the typical quartz movements that need new batteries every other year. Eco-Drive solves this problem by using any ambient light (sun, office lights, desk lamp, candle, etc.) to constantly charge an internal, permanent power cell. On a full charge, the watch has a remarkable 6-month power reserve. It's brilliant technology that makes Swiss quartz movements look old-fashioned by comparison.

The BM6400 is very attractive in person (better than the photos) with a brushed stainless steel case and bezel ring (no shiny chrome-look). The crown is knurled and screws down for water-tightness to 200m. The dial numbers are large and the hands are easy to see with excellent lume paint that glows bright blue-green for many hours in the dark. The dial is deep black (like black glass) but in bright light you can see the faint outline of the solar cell matrix inside --it's a neat, sophisticated look. The only feature that could be improved is the readability of the small date window (this could be fixed if Citizen added a small magnifier window above the date to help readability like on my Bulova Marine Star). I would also pay a bit more for a sapphire crystal but the non-glare mineral crystal is just fine and is to be expected in this price range. The black canvas strap also looks good but I chose to switch to a Hadley-Roma, carbon fiber-type, leather band that really complements the look of the BM6400 and dresses it up a bit.

Overall, this is an extremely high quality timepiece and for me is much more satisfying than any of the Swiss watches I looked at costing 2-3 times as much. I already own a Bulova, Tag Heuer, and a Swiss Army model among others. But the Citizen Eco-Drive movement and the BM6400 clean looks are my favorite. Thanks, Citizen, for creating this cutting-edge Eco-Drive technology and giving us the benefits of quartz accuracy without the battery waste.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on February 22, 2008
I am slowly converting my watch collection from a mix of self-winding automatic and a few quartz to all Citizen Eco-Drives. This is the latest addition and I am delighted with it. The watch is a "beater"...it will be perfect for weekends, travel and whenever you want a watch that can take anything. The stainless steel case and bezel have a satin finish and the screw-down crown is knurled. The dial is an oil black, not a flat black as you might expect in a "military" watch. The large numbers and markers have a ton of luminous material and glow like beacons in a dark environment -- perfect for night viewing. The second hand is precisely registered with the second markings on the chapter ring. The crystal is a flat, hardened mineral crystal with an anti-reflective coating (presumably on the interior of the crystal) so there is very little reflection. This is a large 42mm diameter watch -- not including the crown {which is guarded with shoulders]. It is not clear if the woven, fabric band is nylon or some other material; it is well made and the holes for the clasp are reinforced with stainless steel rivets. I really like this watch and ... at a mere $105 ... this is a great buy.

Louis
70 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on August 5, 2013
First of all I'm not a watch geek like some of these guys. This watch is my main watch to wear and not as some would call it a "beater" watch. I like the feel and look of the watch with just a couple minor set backs. Hence the 4 stars instead of 5 stars.

Pros:
Looks good
Feels good
Easy to quickly read the time in just a glance
Love the Nylon band look and ability to put any CHEAP nylon band on it.
Eco Drive
Keeps time perfectly (at least for me)

Cons:
As mentioned in other reviews, date is small and takes a few seconds to focus on it to read it.
Luminescence runs out quick. It is VERY bright at first but by the end of a 2 hour movie it is difficult to read anymore. You can read it, you just have to focus on it for a few seconds.

Overall I really enjoy the watch and my friends/family/coworkers all notice/like it. Good buy. I recommend.
6 people found this helpful
on July 5, 2011
I have this watch for almost a month now. It looks better in reality than in the pictures. I was looking for a decent size / decent price water resistant watch. I considered that a WR 200m will be more enough for the type of activity I want to use it for - swimming, scuba, water sports in general (a WR100 would be too risky for me). Also, I wanted to be light and small enough for daily activity. Most watches out there desgined for water sports have a huge bezel and stainless steel bracelet. Try to figure this scenario: you are on a cruise boat, spending most of the day in the pool or at the jacuzzi, but at night you dress casual and need a discrete watch to accessorize yourself. I consider this one to be a perfect fit.
The numerals are the best phosphorous ones I've ever seen - large, bright, clear and long lasting luminous numbers.
The date window is small, but I do not care. Anyways, who's looking for the date when scuba diving (-;?
The strap is solid, light and comfortable. As for the other reviewers, I can not adjust it perfectly on my wrist, but this doesn't bother me too much. The wholes are reinforced with metal, but they are looking very decent (better than in the pics). The strap also has a metalic safety link so you don't lose your watch. You can press it hard onto the strap and it becomes very efficient.
The bezel is brushed steel, which gives it a very nice and discrete look (not too shiny)...
The screw down crown is a must for any water resistant watch. It really gives you confidence on this product.
The Eco-Drive technology is perfect for me. I have a high end watch I'm using at work 5 days a week and on special ocasions. So my Citizen is patiently waiting for the weekend on the night stand, ready anytime for some water activity. I have no worries it will accurately keep the time with no need for winding it, no need for placing it on a watch winder, and no unpleasant surprise of a dead battery.
I highly recommend you the Citizen Men BM6400-00E. Maybe one of the best purchases I've made in a long while.
One person found this helpful
on May 5, 2008
This is my 2nd Citizen. The first was a promaster dive watch I beat up hauling steel as a truck driver (never had a problem with function). For cosmetic reasons, I let that one get away years ago. Have worn a variety of hodge podge battery powered disposable watches since, and have grown somewhat tired of looking for a new watch every couple of years.

Was intrigued by the eco-drive technology and never having to open the case and replace a battery. Which always risks the integrity of the watch without sending it back to the factory.

I'm a one watch kind of guy. That's why I chose this black model which will easily do double duty.

This is no puny watch. It's substantial. The build quality is excellent. The lined canvas (maybe cordura nylon) band is quite good and durably built, although uncommon and for some may take getting used too. But thanks to the lining it is quite comfortable. Nice thing, due to the build of the watch it is easily replaceable with any after market brand.

The date window is small but serves it's purpose quite well.

And no batteries to replace. It's a keeper, especially at this price. Kudos to Citizen.
19 people found this helpful
on November 24, 2008
This watch is exactly what I expected... a no-frills, simple watch. Nice big numbers, easily visible day & night. Since the numbers are so large and clear, you can read the time from any angle as long as you can see the watch face. Eco-drive so it never needs winding, which is a huge plus. Water resistant so I don't have to worry about taking if off when I wash my hands or scrape my windshield. Not too heavy and not too light... just right.

The canvas strap is comfortable and fine for casual wear. I ordered a leather band (from another company) and I'm going to swap out the bands to make this watch a little more "dressy" for the office. I wouldn't have minded paying a few bucks more for the option to purchase this watch with a leather band, but it's not a problem to replace the band.

There is nothing about this watch that I dislike. I'm very happy with the purchase. If you're looking for a basic, no-nonsense, low-maintenance wrist watch with a great movement for a minimal amount of money, I'd recommend adding this watch to your list.
7 people found this helpful
on December 9, 2011
The Citizen Men's BM6400-00E Eco-Drive Canvas Watch
is a well designed, attractive timepiece with a classic look.

Pro
Nice feel
The brushed stainless steel finish is first rate.
The shape and design are attractive.
Keeps accurate time.

Con
Need to replace strap for asthetic reasons. This strap does not do justice to this nice watch.
Strap looks cheap--especially the metal grommets.

Many suggest obtaining a new strap such as the Maratac 4 Ring Nato or purchasing a stainless steel bracelet from Citizen.
The suggested bracelet is the one sold on the same watch body-but this watch is no longer sold in the US (BM 6400-51E).
The BM 6400 has quite a cult following and many discussions and suggestions for bands are elsewhere in blogs, etc.

An issue that may be of concern is the condition in which the watch arrives. The stylish blue round box containing the watch was inside a square thin box. The outer square box had obviously been opened. The outer box had an indent from a thumb, screwdriver, or letter opener was used to open flap. Also, the outer box had opened in shipping-- appears to have not been closed properly.
Instuction booklet frayed, just tossed in box.
Watch had plastic only on back. Battery was charged, time was set accurately.
I called Citizen Customer Service to find out about their watch preparation. They did say that they charged the battery before shipping, but were unclear about protection methods and preparations.
Other watches I have received (in the same price range or less) have much more protection--especially plastic on the dial face, sealed box, etc.
It was really hard to determine if this watch had been a return, a demo, counter display or whatever.

A general observation --
Citizen's "Never needs Battery!" Guaranteed for Life!
Guaranteed, but you must pay service charge and loose watch for awhile!
In actuality the rechargable solar cell needs replacing about every 8 years. This costs $30-$40 and watch must be sent back to service center. Leaves you without the watch for a month!
Moneywise and convenience-wise you might be better off with a standard quartz--change the standard battery yourself -- $5 every 2 years or so--Especially if you are a one watch person!

This is a handsome watch and well worth purchasing--even if it is just to try one "solar charging" timepiece.
After all--who knows what 8 years or so will bring? Only time will tell!
2 people found this helpful