Workplace Solutions Best Kids' Books of the Year Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Gifts for Him Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Platinum artists Shop Now 25% off select Graco products

Showing 1-10 of 129 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on February 22, 2008
I am slowly converting my watch collection from a mix of self-winding automatic and a few quartz to all Citizen Eco-Drives. This is the latest addition and I am delighted with it. The watch is a "beater"...it will be perfect for weekends, travel and whenever you want a watch that can take anything. The stainless steel case and bezel have a satin finish and the screw-down crown is knurled. The dial is an oil black, not a flat black as you might expect in a "military" watch. The large numbers and markers have a ton of luminous material and glow like beacons in a dark environment -- perfect for night viewing. The second hand is precisely registered with the second markings on the chapter ring. The crystal is a flat, hardened mineral crystal with an anti-reflective coating (presumably on the interior of the crystal) so there is very little reflection. This is a large 42mm diameter watch -- not including the crown {which is guarded with shoulders]. It is not clear if the woven, fabric band is nylon or some other material; it is well made and the holes for the clasp are reinforced with stainless steel rivets. I really like this watch and ... at a mere $105 ... this is a great buy.

Louis
11 comment| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 17, 2008
I was unable to decide between this model and the #BM8180-03E, which is a more utilitarian looking model. So I ordered both, but am keeping this. My impressions:

- The BM6400-00E is more substantial. I'm a medium-build guy, and I thought the BM8180-03E looked small for my wrist size.

- This is a better looking model than the BM8180-00E. I'm very picky when it comes to watch styles, and I really like the way this looks. This is more 'dressy' yet is not too fancy looking as an everyday watch. It will look much nicer with a suit than the BM8180, which is much cheaper looking

- I was worried about the date display being too small. I think it looks smaller than it is because of the oversize numbers on the dial, but it is still totally readable.

- The band on the BM6400 is longer than the band on the 8180, and the black looks much better than the green. I find the band to be comfortable, and am not in any rush to go swap it out for another.

- I prefer the 'screw-down' crown on the BM6400 - less worries about water getting into the case. The BM8180 has a two-notch crown that doesn't screw down.

All in all, this model is more than worth the extra $25 dollars between the two, and is a great deal at this price.
on May 5, 2008
This is my 2nd Citizen. The first was a promaster dive watch I beat up hauling steel as a truck driver (never had a problem with function). For cosmetic reasons, I let that one get away years ago. Have worn a variety of hodge podge battery powered disposable watches since, and have grown somewhat tired of looking for a new watch every couple of years.

Was intrigued by the eco-drive technology and never having to open the case and replace a battery. Which always risks the integrity of the watch without sending it back to the factory.

I'm a one watch kind of guy. That's why I chose this black model which will easily do double duty.

This is no puny watch. It's substantial. The build quality is excellent. The lined canvas (maybe cordura nylon) band is quite good and durably built, although uncommon and for some may take getting used too. But thanks to the lining it is quite comfortable. Nice thing, due to the build of the watch it is easily replaceable with any after market brand.

The date window is small but serves it's purpose quite well.

And no batteries to replace. It's a keeper, especially at this price. Kudos to Citizen.
on November 10, 2010
I have had many watches over my 77 year life Including watches that cost almost $4000. I am a former military pilot and even today I like accuracy in a watch. Wish there were watches like this during my 20 years in the Air Force.

In a word the watch is suburb for my use. I like the heft, the large numbers and the lighted dial. At first I did not think I would like the metal holes on the watch band. After some use, I think they are great and the band is a great band. I would not think of changing it. I do not have big arms or hands and the watch still looks good and is so easy to read. I set the watch by the atomic watch in Denver so I can with confidence say it keeps excellent time. This watch would be to large for most ladies unless you are the outdoor, rock climbing type of lady. It has the heft of a Rolex Navigator and is similar in size but keeps better time and you never have to wind it or put a battery in it. The second hand also stops when you pull out the crown so you can set the watch to the second if you are that time conscious. The crown does have to be wound backwards before you can pull up the crown to set the time. A good feature.

I did a lot of research before I purchased this watch. Money was no factor. I wanted certain things such as an analog face with day only. I also wanted a black strap and a black face. I originally was searching for a watch that updated itself with the atomic watch in Denver. I was not familiar with the Eco-Drive. After reading about it I decided I had found the exact watch I wanted at an excellent price. I rate this watch Five Stars. If you are looking for a dressy watch you may want to change band to a solid black leather band and it would look as good as my former Rolex, in my opinion. For most people you will not go wrong when you purchase this watch. I have always been big into computers, electronics, watches and even at my age am still into these things.
on August 27, 2008
After shopping for watches for months, I decided to buy this Eco-Drive and couldn't be happier. It's solid, it's stylish, it's bold, it's weighty. I worried the size and heft would be a problem for my small wrist but this was not the case. I love the watch and sturdy band, but you can add me to the LONG list of customers who would like Citizen to make the date more visible. It's too small and completely useless. All in all, if you're attracted to the watch you'll like it.
on August 10, 2013
2. UPDATE: After one year, the watch continues to be slow by 4 seconds every month. I set it every month to be 2 seconds fast, so it's never more than 2 seconds off. Secondly, I experienced the same issue others have reported, with the leather/canvas wristband soaking up water in the shower and picking up an unpleasant smell. Initially I'd soak the entire watch in alcohol for an hour and let it dry in the sun afterwards. That works, but it's a hassle. Finally I replaced the wristband with this one:Mens Rubbertech Silicone Rubber Watchband Stainless Steel Buckle 22mm Wide Buckle - by JP Leatherworks. It's a perfect fit and only $13. The silicone doesn't absorb water and is easily cleaned. Problem solved. Still love the watch.

1. UPDATE: After letting the watch run without adjustment for exactly one month, it was off by 5 seconds. That's a bit more than I was hoping for, but still ok. The crystal remains in perfect, scratch-free condition, despite my general carelessness.
Below is the original review:

No watch is perfect for everyone. The right choice depends on what you're looking for, and how much you're willing to pay for it. With that in mind, here's what I was looking for:
1. I need my watch to be highly accurate and reliable. So far, I have only had the watch for 3 weeks and a trip has forced me to adjust the watch twice for time zone changes. So I cannot offer a final opinion on the accuracy, yet, but I remain hopeful that the watch drifts no more than 3 seconds per month. As for reliability: Time will tell. But this watch is offered with a 5 year limited manufacturer's warranty. The warranty is not ironclad, but it is a far cry better than what is available for watches that cost multiples more, here on Amazon.

2. I need my watch to be water resistant, since I don't take it off. Ever. And I dive. I have repeatedly taken this watch to a water depth of over 60ft, without problems.

3. Since I want the water resistance to last for years with minimal fuss, I was not interested in any watch that has plastic parts, or any buttons on the outside, or has its back secured by screws that penetrate into the case. In my experience, these are all potential points of failure that will eventually compromise the water resistance of the watch. This watch doesn't feature any of that, plus its crown is of the screw-down variety. To me, this makes the claims about 200m water resistance credible.

4. Restoring a watch to its original water resistant status after opening it (e.g. to replace the battery) is expensive and takes time. So I want to minimize these events. Seiko Kinetics and Citizen Eco-Drives immediately went to the top of the list, since the battery should last longer than the periodic service intervals for cleaning and gasket replacements.

5. I need a highly readable display. I don't want to study my watch, I want to glance at it and know the time. Also, while I don't ever take my watch off, I do take off my glasses at night. And I still would like to be able to read the time. This watch delivers wonderfully, with one exception: The reviewers who complain that the date display is too small are correct. There's a way to fix this -- get a glass date magnifier and UV-glue it to the face. I think I will go that route, But, why didn't Citizen do it for me?

6. Lastly, I was looking for a sapphire crystal. This watch doesn't have it. So far, I haven't managed to scratch the glass, but I am sure it will happen with time.

So, I take one star off for the small date display and the lack of sapphire crystal. Other than that, it's perfect for me.
on November 2, 2012
As an avid watch collector,I want to give an informed, simple review. I will not complain about what the watch does not have, nor what I would want to see the watch have. It is very annoying when you are looking for a watch, to have all of the useless drivel reviews from some of the people about how the watch does not compare with a watch that cost as much as some people's automobiles,(how could it??), or how many hundreds of watches one owns,(so what!, who cares!), most humans have only two arms, and subsequently only two wrists!!
REVIEW:
I want to say that this watch is breathtaking in design and function. It is very easy to read and it is accurate, very accurate. If you follow the instruction booklet from Citizen you realize that they have one of the most innovative watch designs available. This is my first ECO-Drive. I have had it for three weeks. I would like to get another style of ECO-Drive for variety to my collection of different types, and manufacturers of watches.

Finally, when I was reviewing the different models of Eco-Drive watches, I read so much negativity about the watchband on this watch. First of all watchbands are a personal preference like shoes or a hat. If one does not like the watchband, remove it and by another one that is more to your taste and preference. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with this watchband, it is a matter of choice, no two people are going to be pleased with the exact same thing no matter what it is. The watchband is well made like the watch. Citizen did an excellent job with the entire watch and band.

I apologize for being annoyed at the watch reviews, but all I want to know is, is the watch accurate? attractive in appearance? and is it easy to read the time? And how reliable is the watch?
on November 24, 2008
This watch is exactly what I expected... a no-frills, simple watch. Nice big numbers, easily visible day & night. Since the numbers are so large and clear, you can read the time from any angle as long as you can see the watch face. Eco-drive so it never needs winding, which is a huge plus. Water resistant so I don't have to worry about taking if off when I wash my hands or scrape my windshield. Not too heavy and not too light... just right.

The canvas strap is comfortable and fine for casual wear. I ordered a leather band (from another company) and I'm going to swap out the bands to make this watch a little more "dressy" for the office. I wouldn't have minded paying a few bucks more for the option to purchase this watch with a leather band, but it's not a problem to replace the band.

There is nothing about this watch that I dislike. I'm very happy with the purchase. If you're looking for a basic, no-nonsense, low-maintenance wrist watch with a great movement for a minimal amount of money, I'd recommend adding this watch to your list.
on September 12, 2013
**UPDATE** - Well it is now about 1 ½ years and this has become my daily go-to watch for business and pleasure. Just as accurate as I could have hoped for and still looking like new. The strap has held up as well, no curling, no fraying and no fading. It is true that the stainless reinforced eyelets on the strap could have been placed closer together for a more customizable fit, but that's it. This watch is a no frills workhorse. No chronograph, no clutter. In fact, the Eco-Drive and not having to change batteries, the screw-down crown, the weep second hand, the incredible luminosity and the 200M water resistance are all the frills I need. This is just plain...awesome.

**Original Post - no edits**
I really did not know what to expect for this price and wow, I am impressed. I have owned another inexpensive Eco-Drive for the past 6-years and have not had a single problem with it. I am hoping for the same here. This watch borders on masterful simplicity. I hate cluttered faces. Yes, the numbers are larger than normal, but they are easy to read and give you incredible lume at night, even after it fades. What you cannot make out from the web-page pics is that the numerals have almost a mother of pearl inlay appearance and each numeral is framed/outlined in stainless to compliment the brushed stainless case and the eyelets on the canvas strap. 200M resistance and a screw-down crown...at this price? Yes! Very comfortable and both classy/dressy and sporty at the same time. Whoever designed this model should be given a promotion. The second-hand is spot-on and the accuracy, when compared to that of my iPhone, has not skipped a beat so far. I can understand where the spacing of the eyelets could cause some amount of play on the wrist for some, but it has not been a problem for me. Heck. for this price, if you are having a problem with the band, replace it. With the efficiency and care-free enjoyment of owning a Citizen Eco-Drive, you should not be buying this for the strap anyway. However, I love the strap. It is rugged, durable and every bit as nice, if not classier, than any Nato or Zulu strap. Get this one...because you will not find a better watch at this price.
on August 5, 2013
First of all I'm not a watch geek like some of these guys. This watch is my main watch to wear and not as some would call it a "beater" watch. I like the feel and look of the watch with just a couple minor set backs. Hence the 4 stars instead of 5 stars.

Pros:
Looks good
Feels good
Easy to quickly read the time in just a glance
Love the Nylon band look and ability to put any CHEAP nylon band on it.
Eco Drive
Keeps time perfectly (at least for me)

Cons:
As mentioned in other reviews, date is small and takes a few seconds to focus on it to read it.
Luminescence runs out quick. It is VERY bright at first but by the end of a 2 hour movie it is difficult to read anymore. You can read it, you just have to focus on it for a few seconds.

Overall I really enjoy the watch and my friends/family/coworkers all notice/like it. Good buy. I recommend.