Industrial Deals Beauty Silent Corner STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 130 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 156 reviews
on July 2, 2013
I came across this watch accidentally while comparing a wide variety of similar Citizen, Seiko, Nite, watches.
I found the Citizen Royal Marine Commando watch and from there was fortunate enough to trace it down to this watch.

Pros

- One of the VERY FEW watches rated for 200M depth (especially at the price)
- Has a screw on crown
- Understated, no fuss, "manly" design
- Feels solidly built but doesn't weigh a ton
- Not too large and I believe I have a small wrist (at 6.5in circumference)
- Solar powered
- My second and minute hands were perfectly aligned (I believe others had complained they may not have been).
- Good looking strap that fits perfectly and is not ridiculously wide. Metal grommets add to the militaristic design.
- Strap is not rough as others had suggested.

Cons

- I was concerned that the date display was too small. It is small but even without my glasses I can still read it.
- 21mm lug means you have to go with a smaller lug strap. I have ordered the Hadley Roma MS890 waterproof leather to go with this. I will post a picture when it arrives.

There is a great review on jikanwatch.blogspot.com/2011/03/citizen-bm6400-citizens-field-watch.html

I understand that Citizen has also made a version that is radio synchronized. This would be the icing on the cake for this watch. But I have not been able to locate it.
on August 5, 2013
First of all I'm not a watch geek like some of these guys. This watch is my main watch to wear and not as some would call it a "beater" watch. I like the feel and look of the watch with just a couple minor set backs. Hence the 4 stars instead of 5 stars.

Pros:
Looks good
Feels good
Easy to quickly read the time in just a glance
Love the Nylon band look and ability to put any CHEAP nylon band on it.
Eco Drive
Keeps time perfectly (at least for me)

Cons:
As mentioned in other reviews, date is small and takes a few seconds to focus on it to read it.
Luminescence runs out quick. It is VERY bright at first but by the end of a 2 hour movie it is difficult to read anymore. You can read it, you just have to focus on it for a few seconds.

Overall I really enjoy the watch and my friends/family/coworkers all notice/like it. Good buy. I recommend.
on September 12, 2013
**UPDATE** - Well it is now about 1 ½ years and this has become my daily go-to watch for business and pleasure. Just as accurate as I could have hoped for and still looking like new. The strap has held up as well, no curling, no fraying and no fading. It is true that the stainless reinforced eyelets on the strap could have been placed closer together for a more customizable fit, but that's it. This watch is a no frills workhorse. No chronograph, no clutter. In fact, the Eco-Drive and not having to change batteries, the screw-down crown, the weep second hand, the incredible luminosity and the 200M water resistance are all the frills I need. This is just plain...awesome.

**Original Post - no edits**
I really did not know what to expect for this price and wow, I am impressed. I have owned another inexpensive Eco-Drive for the past 6-years and have not had a single problem with it. I am hoping for the same here. This watch borders on masterful simplicity. I hate cluttered faces. Yes, the numbers are larger than normal, but they are easy to read and give you incredible lume at night, even after it fades. What you cannot make out from the web-page pics is that the numerals have almost a mother of pearl inlay appearance and each numeral is framed/outlined in stainless to compliment the brushed stainless case and the eyelets on the canvas strap. 200M resistance and a screw-down crown...at this price? Yes! Very comfortable and both classy/dressy and sporty at the same time. Whoever designed this model should be given a promotion. The second-hand is spot-on and the accuracy, when compared to that of my iPhone, has not skipped a beat so far. I can understand where the spacing of the eyelets could cause some amount of play on the wrist for some, but it has not been a problem for me. Heck. for this price, if you are having a problem with the band, replace it. With the efficiency and care-free enjoyment of owning a Citizen Eco-Drive, you should not be buying this for the strap anyway. However, I love the strap. It is rugged, durable and every bit as nice, if not classier, than any Nato or Zulu strap. Get this one...because you will not find a better watch at this price.
on November 24, 2008
This watch is exactly what I expected... a no-frills, simple watch. Nice big numbers, easily visible day & night. Since the numbers are so large and clear, you can read the time from any angle as long as you can see the watch face. Eco-drive so it never needs winding, which is a huge plus. Water resistant so I don't have to worry about taking if off when I wash my hands or scrape my windshield. Not too heavy and not too light... just right.

The canvas strap is comfortable and fine for casual wear. I ordered a leather band (from another company) and I'm going to swap out the bands to make this watch a little more "dressy" for the office. I wouldn't have minded paying a few bucks more for the option to purchase this watch with a leather band, but it's not a problem to replace the band.

There is nothing about this watch that I dislike. I'm very happy with the purchase. If you're looking for a basic, no-nonsense, low-maintenance wrist watch with a great movement for a minimal amount of money, I'd recommend adding this watch to your list.
on February 22, 2008
I am slowly converting my watch collection from a mix of self-winding automatic and a few quartz to all Citizen Eco-Drives. This is the latest addition and I am delighted with it. The watch is a "beater"...it will be perfect for weekends, travel and whenever you want a watch that can take anything. The stainless steel case and bezel have a satin finish and the screw-down crown is knurled. The dial is an oil black, not a flat black as you might expect in a "military" watch. The large numbers and markers have a ton of luminous material and glow like beacons in a dark environment -- perfect for night viewing. The second hand is precisely registered with the second markings on the chapter ring. The crystal is a flat, hardened mineral crystal with an anti-reflective coating (presumably on the interior of the crystal) so there is very little reflection. This is a large 42mm diameter watch -- not including the crown {which is guarded with shoulders]. It is not clear if the woven, fabric band is nylon or some other material; it is well made and the holes for the clasp are reinforced with stainless steel rivets. I really like this watch and ... at a mere $105 ... this is a great buy.

Louis
11 comment| 70 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 10, 2013
2. UPDATE: After one year, the watch continues to be slow by 4 seconds every month. I set it every month to be 2 seconds fast, so it's never more than 2 seconds off. Secondly, I experienced the same issue others have reported, with the leather/canvas wristband soaking up water in the shower and picking up an unpleasant smell. Initially I'd soak the entire watch in alcohol for an hour and let it dry in the sun afterwards. That works, but it's a hassle. Finally I replaced the wristband with this one:Mens Rubbertech Silicone Rubber Watchband Stainless Steel Buckle 22mm Wide Buckle - by JP Leatherworks. It's a perfect fit and only $13. The silicone doesn't absorb water and is easily cleaned. Problem solved. Still love the watch.

1. UPDATE: After letting the watch run without adjustment for exactly one month, it was off by 5 seconds. That's a bit more than I was hoping for, but still ok. The crystal remains in perfect, scratch-free condition, despite my general carelessness.
Below is the original review:

No watch is perfect for everyone. The right choice depends on what you're looking for, and how much you're willing to pay for it. With that in mind, here's what I was looking for:
1. I need my watch to be highly accurate and reliable. So far, I have only had the watch for 3 weeks and a trip has forced me to adjust the watch twice for time zone changes. So I cannot offer a final opinion on the accuracy, yet, but I remain hopeful that the watch drifts no more than 3 seconds per month. As for reliability: Time will tell. But this watch is offered with a 5 year limited manufacturer's warranty. The warranty is not ironclad, but it is a far cry better than what is available for watches that cost multiples more, here on Amazon.

2. I need my watch to be water resistant, since I don't take it off. Ever. And I dive. I have repeatedly taken this watch to a water depth of over 60ft, without problems.

3. Since I want the water resistance to last for years with minimal fuss, I was not interested in any watch that has plastic parts, or any buttons on the outside, or has its back secured by screws that penetrate into the case. In my experience, these are all potential points of failure that will eventually compromise the water resistance of the watch. This watch doesn't feature any of that, plus its crown is of the screw-down variety. To me, this makes the claims about 200m water resistance credible.

4. Restoring a watch to its original water resistant status after opening it (e.g. to replace the battery) is expensive and takes time. So I want to minimize these events. Seiko Kinetics and Citizen Eco-Drives immediately went to the top of the list, since the battery should last longer than the periodic service intervals for cleaning and gasket replacements.

5. I need a highly readable display. I don't want to study my watch, I want to glance at it and know the time. Also, while I don't ever take my watch off, I do take off my glasses at night. And I still would like to be able to read the time. This watch delivers wonderfully, with one exception: The reviewers who complain that the date display is too small are correct. There's a way to fix this -- get a glass date magnifier and UV-glue it to the face. I think I will go that route, But, why didn't Citizen do it for me?

6. Lastly, I was looking for a sapphire crystal. This watch doesn't have it. So far, I haven't managed to scratch the glass, but I am sure it will happen with time.

So, I take one star off for the small date display and the lack of sapphire crystal. Other than that, it's perfect for me.
on September 16, 2012
I was in the market for a new watch last month after having downsized my lifestyle from a few years ago (divorce). In my 30's I had cash to burn and did all the Omega/Tag/Chrono Swiss gizz wiz styles but now I'm in my 50's and I need a watch I can wear every day everywhere. I wanted someting stylish but bold, manly but not tasteless, light and rugged that doesn't require an overnight trip across an ocean to repair.

This is it. I have had several Citizen Eco's and have always liked them only to pass them on to a son or 3. This one I'll keep. Looks great wether I'm slinging freight, hunting, shopping or if I'm at dinner. It's light, the band is rugged and affordable to replace with a Citizen or equivalent. The dial is clear, easy to read, scratch resistant and has a screw in crown. Also there is a Citizen service center within driving distance. I can walk in and get repairs and have done so satisfactorly before (Dallas) .

Only thing I would have liked .... choice of dial colors. I'd like to have another in a yellow/orange/blue choice.

Compare this to the Swiss quartz's in the same dollar range and you'll see it might be a good choice for you also.

cheers, from Oklahoma
on November 30, 2013
Personally, I'm very satisfied with this watch thus far, since I didn't like the band in the picture and was planning on replacing the band before I even made the purchase. In person, my hunch was correct, I dislike the band in person as well. While its kind of interesting for a field watch band, I ultimately found it made the whole watch look plainer than it really is, and I also found it to be very uncomfortable. The watch itself, I'm surprised how much I like though. I'm generally a big fan of Arabic numerals, and I think this looks great in person. I was a bit concerned about the hands when I ordered it because I thought a pencil minute hand looked kind of odd (maybe mismatched would be a better way to describe it) with the arrow hour hand, but in person this doesn't bother me. It looks better than some 2 arrow combinations, and I also find I like it better than most watches with 2 pencil style hands since its less plain and easier to read. The lume isn't as good as my Seiko Divers, but this is still pretty easy to read in the dark. The watch face and case look great, and with the screw in caseback and screwdown crown, I'm confident I can knock this watch around for years without ruining it. Also, when paired with a nice band, the watch looks stunning. I had more of an aviator style band in mind when I bought this watch, so I briefly swapped the canvas strap with the brown leather/contrast stitched band from my Hamilton Khaki Pilot, and the combination made for one of the nicest looking watches I'd ever seen. This will be a staple for me as soon as I get a nice color or contrast stitched band on it. Total combined cost of watch and band will be between $140-$150 which is a bargain imo (My Seiko Kinetic Divers cost me $250 and $300 respectively, and the Hamilton ran me a bit over $300). This is also an Eco-Drive of course, which is another huge plus for me. I hate changing batteries, and I know this makes me a philistine to many people, but I hate the finicky nature of mechanical watches. Obviously, if this watch randomly fails in a few months or even years, I'll come back and cut the rating, but I don't see or hear of that happening very often with Citizen watches, so I expect I'll be able to leave this rating as is. If Citizen offered a nice leather band (like say the one for their orange faced Aviator style watch) I'd probably leave a 5 star rating. Even though I personally will end up with what I feel is a 5 star product at a very low price, the product definitely isn't perfect out of the box, so if this review is to provide a decent guide for other buyers, you definitely need to know that the band Citizen provides will probably be an issue for you. Oh one final note, The claimed accuracy rating is somewhat less than that of my Seiko Kinetic Divers (+-20 seconds per month vs +- 15 seconds per month for my Seikos) whether Seiko simply measures their timekeeping more optimistically or whether these estimates are accurate I can't tell you for sure, but I will note that my Seiko Kinetic Divers do seem,to deviate less than my 2 Casio G Shock watches (also claimed +-20 seconds per month, where I store the G-Shocks they don't seem able to receive the atomic clock signal). Anyway bottom line, this is a really cool watch that I love, available at a great price, paired with a crappy (but easily replaceable) band. Highly recommended for anyone who, like me, is willing to replace the band. Also, if you are a little more gentle with your watches than I am, then the BM8180-03E and BV1085-06E are also worth a look (I didn't get those because I'm personally afraid to own any watch without a protected crown, but that's just me). I'll post a pic with the new band when I get it. This is a great looking watch that comes on a very plain band.
on May 14, 2011
This is my first Citizen Eco-Drive watch. When I first started shopping, I was in the market for a Swiss-made chronograph in the $250 range. Since I like simple, easy-to-read face designs, I soon determined that the chronograph look was too cluttered and mainly for looks only. I also like a large, sweep seconds-hand instead of the miniature seconds-hand buried in the chrono subdials.

During my searches, I kept on coming back to several Citizen models and was intrigued by their light-powered Eco-Drive movement. The more I thought about it, the Eco-Drive is truly revolutionary compared to the typical quartz movements that need new batteries every other year. Eco-Drive solves this problem by using any ambient light (sun, office lights, desk lamp, candle, etc.) to constantly charge an internal, permanent power cell. On a full charge, the watch has a remarkable 6-month power reserve. It's brilliant technology that makes Swiss quartz movements look old-fashioned by comparison.

The BM6400 is very attractive in person (better than the photos) with a brushed stainless steel case and bezel ring (no shiny chrome-look). The crown is knurled and screws down for water-tightness to 200m. The dial numbers are large and the hands are easy to see with excellent lume paint that glows bright blue-green for many hours in the dark. The dial is deep black (like black glass) but in bright light you can see the faint outline of the solar cell matrix inside --it's a neat, sophisticated look. The only feature that could be improved is the readability of the small date window (this could be fixed if Citizen added a small magnifier window above the date to help readability like on my Bulova Marine Star). I would also pay a bit more for a sapphire crystal but the non-glare mineral crystal is just fine and is to be expected in this price range. The black canvas strap also looks good but I chose to switch to a Hadley-Roma, carbon fiber-type, leather band that really complements the look of the BM6400 and dresses it up a bit.

Overall, this is an extremely high quality timepiece and for me is much more satisfying than any of the Swiss watches I looked at costing 2-3 times as much. I already own a Bulova, Tag Heuer, and a Swiss Army model among others. But the Citizen Eco-Drive movement and the BM6400 clean looks are my favorite. Thanks, Citizen, for creating this cutting-edge Eco-Drive technology and giving us the benefits of quartz accuracy without the battery waste.
review image review image review image review image
on July 23, 2013
I like my new Eco-Drive watch and that it is WR to 200 meters, but what I don't like is the canvas band (the reason for only four stars and not five). I removed the canvas band and installed a new Nato 21mm Heavy Nylon Brushed SS Buckle - Military Green band and now I really like the watch a lot. The new green band makes the watch really pop. The other items that I liked on this watch are the luminous hands (great in any low light condition) and the oversized luminous numbers, that I am able to easily read any time of day or night. Additional features that are include that I liked are the date indicator window at 3 o'clock, the non-reflective crystal and the screw-down crown (WR 200M). Also the Eco-Drive watch system does not require any battery's is the best part just some light each day to keep the system charged up. Per the instructions a fully charged watch will continue to run up to 6 months in total darkness without any light.