Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win PCB for Musical Instruments $54.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on November 11, 2011
I completely do NOT understand the nay-sayers and their nagging critiques of this Citizen Eco-Drive.

"The band is too tight (or too short.)"
"The sweep second hand doesn't hit the marks within an atom's width."
"The flat crystal is too easily scratched."
"The luminosity isn't a neon sign like Indiglo!"
"It's too ugly to wear in the Boardroom."
"Why can't I set the day/date anytime I want?"
"The dial face is so small it makes me look gay."

I own a Hamilton Moon Watch, a Tudor Chronograph, and a Rolex Explorer II GMT. I bought the Rolex as a reward for myself in 1992 when I made Chief in the seagoing service and was still taking position star sights with a sextant. It has been my "daily driver" every day since ... except every three-to-four years when accuracy becomes erratic and I have to send it away to Rolex Dallas for a month for $750 service oiling, upkeep, and rehab maintenance. Now in the drawer waiting until I have funny funds for yet another service.

Once I received this Eco-Drive with two-day Amazon+ free delivery I put it on my wrist in direct sunlight for a few hours, set the time, and away we went. Set the day and date within seconds once I was outside the 9PM - 4AM window specified by the manual. Never take it off now. For a watch in this price range you can't engineer a set of switching gears for day/date change that can also handle an owner messing around with the settings by pulling out the crown at the same time. So wait until morning to do it. What's the big deal?

The luminous hands glow brightest just after you turn out the lights, which is perfect because at that time your eyes are still burnt out from staring at the LCD screen all night surfing Amazon reviews. When I wake up at 3:23:19 AM and my eyes have dark adapted again I can still see the hands including the sweep second hand. The Citizen canvas band is stiff until you wear it enough to break it in to the shape of your very own wrist, and then it sits very well when you wear it in Real Life® rolling your ulna and radius reaching for another beer. Just try to find the right-size jeweler's screwdriver to remove links from the Rolex diver's band to fit your wrist! (Even the damn band is multi-hundred$)

I am not NFL lineman big, but 6'1" @ 200 lbs. and nobody has made whimpering noises at me for wearing this watch. This is the kind of tough, no-nonsense, utilitarian looking time utensil that Abercrombie & Fitch made back in the day when Hemingway was finding leopards on Kilimanjaro or pulling in bluefin off the Finca before they sold out and began outfitting punkers and 1%ers on Wall Street. The Explorer II crystal hangs out enough MMs from the stainless case that it had a noticeable chip out of it before a year was out and I learned how it catches every steel rail or rock outcrop in sight. The 24-hour bezel paint flakes off EVERY YEAR wearing it in salt water or just your shower. The Citizen fits close, feels light, and catches nothing.

I am not sure of the press-fit crown and WR 100 meter rating, this is not an Oyster case and screw-down crown, but this is also not a $5,000 timepiece. I have not been swimming or diving with the Citizen. The quality of the rest of the watch is enough to give me confidence it will perform as advertised, and if it should not, I can buy another <$100.

This budget watch is thousands of miles and light years and many dollars ahead of any of its' true competition. I don't want a rubberbound button-filled busy ultramarathon Ironman digital display gizmo. I want a tough good-looking analogue watch that keeps excellent time, and I believe the promise that the Eco-Drive will keep it going, and going, and going ... while the rest of the stable appreciate in value on their way to or back from service.

I want a watch to tell me precise time, and maybe the day and date while it is at it. Not jewelry. Seriously, buy this watch.
review image
3333 comments| 854 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 3, 2016
Shipped fast. Love the Eco-Drive technology. Was ticking away when I opened the box. Easy to follow directions, Easy to set. Filled out on-line registration and received an extra year warranty. Put in full sun the next morning while I showered and have worn it every day since. It's gets a little sun everyday and artificial light while in the office. I hope this is enough to keep it going. The numbers are easy to read without my reading glasses and the band is comfortable. I'm not a real big guy but am using the last notch so the extra band loop holder thingy is useless. I imagine there's fellas out there with larger diameter wrists and then this band wouldn't fit. Hopefully I'm still happy with it in a few years. No pun intended but, only time will tell...
on February 28, 2017
initial impressions

- Light weight, doesn't feel bulky or huge on the wrist. I can hardly notice it's there at times when I’m wearing it.

- Classic utilitarian design with the olive green strap, has a clean minimalistic dial and straight to the point-day/date complication. There’s no extra fuss or unnecessary bling on this watch. Which I personally like, gives it a very classy understatement. Also makes it a very wearable watch with a-lot different outfits and situations.

-Lume is decent and legible but not exactly the best. For the price you really can’t complain. I usually shine it with my 300 lumen flashlight for a couple of seconds before going to bed and it seems to do the trick, gives off a nice shine in the dark!

-Strap is a bit stiff at first, but I can feel it breaking in and becoming more flexible after just the very first week of wearing it, so this shouldn’t be much of an issue in the long run.

-The Japanese Quartz movement is reliable and a practical enough for my time keeping needs. I’m not some NASA scientist at JPL who needs atomic timekeeping down to the very planck-time, I’m just your average joe.

-The fact that I don’t need to worry about changing batteries is what really sold me on the watch, second besides the design of course. This idea of having a perpetual running watch on my wrist powered by light is not only practical but also adds a very cool factor to the watch .

Overall I’m pleased that I made the decision to purchase the watch. Probably one of the best field watches you can buy for the money at this price point. I’m planning on using it as my daily driver for the long haul and I’m sure it will hold up to whatever I throw at it. Lets see how she does!
review image review image review image review image review image review image
11 comment| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 2, 2017
I like this watch but after wearing it for a short time, I find the dial face a little too small. I haven't shopped for a watch for several years so when the measurements for dial size were given I wasn't really sure how large I wanted. My previous watch was just the right size for me and I was looking for something similar. The band is very stiff too. If I were to keep this watch I would replace the band.
on September 20, 2017
The first watch I purchased myself, died last week. I'm not overly upset, it is after all over 30 years old. In looking for a replacement, I've bought some real clinkers. Hint, if you're looking for a sport watch you can wear all the time, don't bother with Orvis, our Timex. This watch, however, was a pleasant surprise. It has a noiseless movement, and a face which resembles my original airman's watch.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 14, 2017
This is a great watch. I purchased it six years ago and have worn it almost every since then. I have worn it swimming, skiing, clearing brush, etc. The solar charging has worked perfectly, never requiring a new battery. It has remained accurate to within 1 second every month!

It is the best watch I have ever owned. At this rate, it may be the last (and I'm planning to live many years).
on October 28, 2015
This is a nice solar/light powered watch. The batter never runs down even in New England winters when it's often covered much of the day. It can keep charged on indoor lighting alone. The band isn't that nice and I replaced it with a NATO style nylon black band. My biggest annoyance is the front crystal scratches easily, and the bezel offers it little protection. It would be better if the watch were redesigned to have a crystal with the surface lower than the bezel, rather than proud, sticking out as the highest point on the front of the watch, and thus exposed to every bump and knock. This seems to be an issue with a lot of Citizen watches unfortunately.
on June 27, 2017
My other Eco was bigger. Really it was too big. It also had a white dial and hands that may it difficult to read. This solved both of those problems for me along with a legible day/date. The date in the other one was impossible to read.

The Eco idea is a great one. Keeps perfect time and stays fully charged. Don't worry about that. It will last for days in a drawer.
on December 23, 2014
The watch seems well-made with quality components and precision manufacturing. Some reviewers have criticized that the second hand does not fall squarely on the minute/second markers. Mine is spot-on. Also, some have said that the initial charge time was somewhat lengthy or even difficult to achieve to keep the watch running. Mine was inert when the box was first opened, but after a few seconds in the light it started to tick away and hasn't quit since. Also the watch is very accurate. I set it to internet time at the outset and haven't touched it. It has only lost a few second in several weeks. But this is something expected of a quartz movement. The watch also arrived nicely packaged in a Citizen box, with the appropriate instruction materials, etc.

There are, however, two things I don't quite like about the watch. First, the hands lack any real sense of style. In fact, the hand design almost seems like an afterthought, almost like someone needed to finish the layout before going to lunch. However, the overall functionality of the watch isn't degraded by what I see as a lack of design interest in the hands. Second, the luminosity isn't what I had become accustomed to with my Seiko watches. Initially I thought it was me. But then I put my old Seiko and this under a florescent light for the same amount of time, then pulled them to see what the difference was. The Citizen had a fairly bright bluish-green glow to it, but the Seiko was ablaze with luminosity. The old Seiko just seems to stand out better at night.

All-in-all this is a great bare-bones watch. It was close to what I was looking for in size (medium size) and military style. Plus it isn't too gaudy or overly-featured like some of the upscale models tend to be. Moreover, the price was right. Also, the solar power is nice--no more periodic battery replacements. However, I would have gladly paid a few extra dollars for just a little more elegance in the design of the hands and a little better luminosity. But I really can't complain as it works well overall. Hopefully it will be as reliable as the three Seiko watches that served me faithfully over the last thirty years.
on December 8, 2015
I received this watch as a present from my family. I have had it a month and it hasn't lost anytime. The watch has a nice, clean, classical look to it. The hands are visible in a dark room at night and the watch is silent in running. I hear no ticking from it. It has a 31 day cycle for the date, so in a 30 day month you have to set the watch ahead a day. The watch has substance to it, but doesn't feel too bulky.