Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 366 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 438 reviews
on February 24, 2015
I purchased this watch in June of 2014. It is February 2015 that I am writing the review. In 8 months the watch itself has been flawless but the band is falling apart. I like the fact that the watch is maintenance free. I just expected longer life out of the band.

I contacted both the online USA citizen watch customer service as well as called the phone number for the California based service center. Both informed me that the normal wear of a band is not covered under warranty. I could send the watch in and have them evaluate it but likely it would not be covered. I sent them the attached pictures in the online submission and they directed me to parts to order a new band. I would have thought a band would last at least a year without cracking apart and irritating my wrist. The cracks stated at 6 months and are progressively getting worse each day. I like my watch but I think I am going to try another brand for the band and not replace it with one from their parts department.
review image
33 comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 12, 2012
I bought this watch 6 years ago (and again later as a gift). Now after these many years, I can say with some confidence that if you're looking for what I was looking for, this is as good as it gets for the money.

PROS:
1. Eco-drive. (Of course.) So far, no hiccup whatsoever. I do wear it everyday so the battery never got a chance to discharge. I hate to drive to the mall and wait for half an hour just to get your battery swapped. And the new battery (which often cost a bundle) inevitably lasts much shorter than the original battery. That's why I stopped using my previous watch (which is a pretty good Victorinox).

2. Dual calendar. To me it's a must. I look at my watch to find the date to sign/date (and I do that quite often). During summer time when I'm not teaching, I can lose track of what day it is, so that's must for me too.

3. Reasonably clean face. How difficult it is to get a really simple, classic design: large numerals, black on white or white on black? It turns out: quick difficult. The numerals are too narrow for my liking. I'd go with the Timex watches if they had life-long batteries. On the balance, the design is good enough.

4. Price. For less than $100, it's got a very good value-to-price ratio. (I didn't find anything better 6 years ago, which is why I bought this one.)

CONS: (quite minor)
1. (This isn't their fault as much as mine.) Leather strap. I liked the classy look. The black leather definitely got that. But unfortunately, genuine leather doesn't like water (being a guy, that wasn't something I know as women seem to very early on). So what good is a water-resistant watch with water-phobic straps. After some contact with water and just sweating in ball games, the back side of the leather is in ugly shape. I suppose I can change the strap, but the point is you still have to worry about it if the new strap is still leather.

2. No glowing-in-the-dark hands. No matter how shiny the hands look like, you can't tell time in the dark. The thing that bugs me is how difficult is that.

3. You need to be careful pulling out the crown for date adjustment (which happens a few times a year, itself a nuisance). If you pull too hard, it'll get into the outer gear and you might accidentally change the time a little bit. (It happens to most watches that have dual calendar without perpetual calendar.) And I want my watch to be accurate -- it's not a piece of jewelry to me.

Neither:
1. Cover is not scratch resistant, but doesn't appear to scratch super easily.

It's been a good watch, especially considering the price. Since I'm in engineering, getting even minor issues addressed carries psychological satisfaction. So I'm getting a new watch that has atomic synchronization, perpetual calendar, eco-drive, and it's going to have stainless steel straps so in theory I don't need to worry about anything again. But that watch is setting me back $380.
on May 26, 2016
Overall, this is a great watch, and a steal for less than $200.

The good: it's beautiful, classier than any other options I could find at this level, while still providing full quality utility. Works with my suit, works with my hiking gear. The eco-drive is a dream.

The bad: the strap. As mentioned in some of the other reviews, it's kind of the weak point: not the most stylish imo, and seems like it's a few sweaty jobs from falling apart. But straps are easy to replace. I kinda welcome the opportunity to customize.

The ugly: impossible to view in the dark, and the weekday doesn't change over at midnight. These, unfortunately, cannot be remedied. It astounds me that the designers could fashion such a sophisticated work of art, yet leave out such a basic thing as to allow its use at night! Or to do all the work of the date complication alongside accurate timekeeping, but not bother to ensure a precise transition at an accurate time! Ridiculous. With items entirely built for precision, accuracy, and detail, those details are of paramount importance. Its very closeness to perfection makes these blatantly ignored and simple details all the more abhorrent.
44 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 23, 2017
I had a Citizen Eco-Drive watch for years, but it finally died so I decided to try another one. I didn't want a large, fat watch, like so many men's watches seem to be. This is a nice size dial, not too large and not too small. I like having the day and date on it and it has a look that works for formal or casual use.

A couple of minor complaints are that the numbers and hands don't glow at night, or at least not enough to read it. The crown on this is also smooth, not knurled. As a result it is hard to set the time and day/date because it doesn't turn that easily. If the crown hard knurls on it I would have given it 5 starts rather than 4.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon October 24, 2016
Excellent value for a versatile watch. I was looking for something that would dress up or down, moving from workplace to dinner, without looking pretentious. This fit the bill perfectly. It goes as well with a pair of jeans and a dress shirt as it does with a suit.

The movement of the timepiece itself is great, and once I got it set I haven't had any issues at all. Setting it was a bit trickier than I expected; make sure you take your time because the crown pulls out to different levels to set the hour and minute hands. I gave it a full day of charging, as was reccomended, and haven't explicitly charged it except as it's been out and about while being worn.

The only drawback is that the band isn't really the highest quality. At this low price point, it's to be expected, but it did crease very quickly - especially on the bottom band where the holes are. I think this is why they chose the "cracked" leather instead of a smooth style, so it doesn't stand out quite so much. While it's being worn a person would have to be looking for it to notice it, though. You could change the band if you wanted, and I will when/if it becomes necessary, but it's actually quite comfortable. The entire watch it nice and light and wears really well.

This watch is perfect if you're looking for a nicer looking daily driver watch, that can also dress up as the occasion requires it. The watch looks exactly as shown by the manufacturer.
on July 11, 2017
PROS:
>The watch looks sharp and I get compliments on it all of the time.
>Solar Powered is a nice perk.

CONS:
>The watch loses about a minute every day. Included directions are somewhat unclear regarding the setting of the date; the time in regards to AM/PM matter, but it requires extra steps to set up correctly.
> The watchband is indead made of the cheapest material available, but is easily replaced.
on April 24, 2015
Very light and attractive watch. I've had it a year now with no issues to report as it doesn't miss a minute and it always spot on with my clock that synchs with the atomic clock daily. I've banged the crystal a few times fully expecting to see a damage or a big crack, but it too the beating without even a scratch. My only minor complaint is that it is difficult to adjust the date when a month doesn't have 31 days. The stem is short and hard to grasp with my old, fat fingers. That isn't hard to deal with though and isn't a problem worthy of any downgraded review. The wasn't sure the leather band would hold up, but so far it's doing fine. If I worked outside sweating all day it probably would be suffering a lot more, but then again if that were the case I'd be wearing a Casio with a metal band. I like this watch a lot.
on May 11, 2016
Overall it's a very nice watch. It looks classy, not flashy, and considering it's solar powered, it's very thin and light. The face is what I consider to be a more normal size than a lot of the hubcaps that pass for watches today. I've worn this watch off-and-on, and truth be told, it's been in the box more than on my wrist but the charge seems to hold between wearings.

Two reasons, I didn't give it 5 stars; a) the band is a bit short. I don't think my wrist is overly large but I can only wear the watch on the last hole on the band. It's not tight, but it's definitely at the limit. b) the crown is smooth, meaning no ridges to help give me grip when I have to reset the time or date. Both of these are minor quibbles, so if you're on the fence, I'd recommend buying it.
on October 15, 2016
This is my second Eco-drive Citizen watch. I think this is the best dress watch under $100.
review image review image review image
on November 30, 2016
Like a number of other reviews have mentioned, the watch face is very small. I don't have large wrists and detest the popular "hockey puck" size watches, but as soon as I opened the package I thought it looked very tiny. I've had Citizen watches for over twenty years, but I'll probably be sending this one back.

If you're looking for a modestly sized and priced dress/casual solar watch I'd highly recommend the Seiko SNE049 Stainless Steel Solar Watch:
I've had it for more than a year and am very pleased. It's only one mm larger than this Citizen, but the larger body of the watch makes a world of difference visually.