Truck Season Automotive HPC Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on April 3, 2017
Despite the fact that the hands and dial are black, in the daytime the readability is very acceptable.
The good news is the fact that the hands are covered with paint that glows in the dark.
So, at night, the watch is quite readable too.
See my photos.
review imagereview image
12 people found this helpful
on November 14, 2016
I knew going in that reading this watch in the dark was impossible. I wasn't expecting that reading this watch during the day is not easy because the glare on the crystal requires you to turn the watch "just so" to neutralize the glare and see the contrasting textures of the hands and face. A non-glare crystal would be a good idea. Despite this drawback, a lot of watch for the money, looks great, nice feel. I am not disappointed.
7 people found this helpful
on May 15, 2017
First, you must love the black on black look enough to compensate for the times that it is difficult to read the watch face. Having said that - I love this watch! The canvas is more refined in person versus the pictures which was a pleasant surprise. I love the "eco-drive" feature as well. It seems to be of high quality and the size is perfect for my 7 inch wrist - moderate at 42 mm. A rugged and somewhat refined watch with a great black on black look!
3 people found this helpful
on November 28, 2016
I love this watch. It is extremely durable and I use it every day in an aluminum foundry. The glass has held up to extreme abuse (metal die grinding, ceramic/brick die grinding, welding, hockey, hiking, freezing, snorkeling, etc.). I have had this watch for nearly 1 year and I have not needed to replace anything on it. The hands still light up for about 4 hours and can be seen in very low light conditions. The time has stayed within a second for an entire year (checked with the US government atomic clock online). The band is very comfortable and dries quickly. I have had to wash it a few times but it has had no problems cleaning up. The watch looks nearly as good as when I bought it with the exception of 2 marks where molten aluminum landed on it took of some of the black paint on the case. The ladies also love the watch. I get complements on it more often then I was expecting.

My one down side of the watch is it can be hard to read at times. In bars and low light conditions where it is not quite dark enough to see the hands glowing the hands can be hard to pick up on. It will take a little getting used to but there are some tricks to making it easier to see. Circle your other hand around it to block out more light so you can see the hands glow, tilt the watch till you find the perfect angle, get your eye closer to the dial, or just pull out our cell phone for this very rare case where it is too hard to see.

Citizen makes an extremely good quality watch. This is not my first watch from them and it will not be my last.
5 people found this helpful
on June 11, 2017
I really like the look of the watch, until I have to know what time it is. Under normal lighting conditions, the face and hands do not have enough contrast to easily see what time it is. This makes it hard to quickly glance at the time if a meeting is running late. The watch and band do have a quality feel and I expect it to last me a long time as a fashion piece.
One person found this helpful
on June 15, 2017
Very nice quality and design, I love Citizen watches, but the reviews are right - it is very hard to see the numbers, and its useless without any light. Shame, because if there was an outline or something, would be far better.
One person found this helpful
on July 4, 2016
Citizen Eco Drive watches are the best watches for the money! This is my 6th Citizen Eco and I LOVE them! I have one woman's but the rest are men's watches because of the nice big size - love the chunky look! They will size down to a woman's wrist (of course this one does not need it). This watch is amazing looking for either sex. It is one of the less expensive one's I've bought but my favorite! This can be an everyday watch or dress up. My husband even commented on this one and he doesn't care for watches. For the women buying them - make sure you wear it tight enough it doesn't flip on you. One watch I had sized and it spins on my arm sometimes and now the crystal needs to be replaced - my fault.
|0Comment|Report abuse
The 2 biggest advantages to having this watch are the durability and not having to change the battery.

Please don't be fooled by the price. This is a quality watch. I was worried that this entry level Eco-Drive was gonna be a bad buy. There was a similarly styled Luminox watch that had a light feature so I could tell the time in the dark, but passed on it after I read the watch was poorly constructed. So I don't get a light with this watch, but I did get a case that seems to take bangs and dings from moving furniture, riding motorcycles, hiking or just being a plain clutz. The glass, or crystal over the dial is great too. More than once I've hit my wrist and panicked that my watch would now have some permanent white streak on the glass or silver metal exposed where the black paint had been scraped off the case but it hasn't. The case has taken a few good bangs and it does show, but it stays black. The white streaks on the crystal have been able to be removed with my nail and brought back to the original state.

Having an light powered eco drive, lets you impress people with technology aspect. More importantly, you never have to change the battery. I have more than once had a battery changed on a watch and then had to have the watch replaced because the knuckle head tech didn't tighten the case correectly and moisture got into my watch. I'm happy to know I don't have to worry about this anymore.

Seriously, the watch looks great and will get you compliments as I've received them in Boston, MA, and all the way to Portland, OR. More importantly based on my going on 2 years of everyday use, it's a durable, quality watch that shoud preserve it's orignal look and get compliments for a long time once you own it.
on April 18, 2018
My husband saw this watch in stores and loved it. I ended up buying it for him during Christmas time after I found here on Amazon and was a much cheaper cost than the stores but same watch and quality!
on January 27, 2017
Very nice watch but difficult to read even under the best lighting. The picture provided is not a reflection of how dark the watch face is.
3 people found this helpful