Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Citizen Men's BM8475-00F Black Canvas Strap Eco-Drive Watch
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

on December 12, 2011
I picked this up on impulse during Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals week. I'd had my eye on this and the standard non-blacked-out version for a while. I wasn't expecting much, but i have to admit, i'm pleasantly surprised. Fit and finish is pretty good. Nice matte black non-reflective finish all the way around the case, but i'm terrified i'm going to put a nasty silver scratch in it someday. Day/date wheel is black background w/ white font (red for Sunday) so it blends in nicely, but is still readable. The time is also surprisingly legible. I had a blacked-out watch once before and it was basically a useless fashion accessory. This actually has a small amount of weak lume on the hands and hour indices. I've never actually seen it glow under natural conditions, only when held under a very bright flashlight. The lume does make the hands and indices slightly reflective though, so it's usually still legible with a very small amount of light at the right angle.

The only thing i didn't like about this watch was the strap. The canvas is fine, good quality, and is lined on the inside with like a soft-touch leather or suede or something for added comfort. But i hated the brushed stainless buckle and rings around the holes. This is supposed to be a STEALTH watch. So, i ended up getting a Maratac Zulu 4-ring strap w/ black non-reflective hardware. The finish matches the watch case PERFECTLY, and now i'm totally in love with.
22 comments| 51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 16, 2011
Because of the solar feature, I have been looking for a Citizen Eco-drive for a while. I also wanted a black, PVD coated watch. When I saw both features together I was very pleased. The last Citizen I saw and liked (BM8475-00E) sold out in a couple of months last year. This one they are calling the 'stealth' is very good looking and much bolder. Yes, the lack of contrast between the black dial and hands make it a little harder to read in low light situations. The canvas strap is comfortable, but could really use black hardware to match the watch - the eyelets and buckle are uncoated steel and look a little odd and out-of-place. I will probably eventually replace the default strap for black leather or black PVD steel. The lume on the hands is not the usual Citizen blue, but rather black until charged and then it glows a faint green. After getting accustomed to the strong, bright lume of my Seikos, I was disappointed with the weak lume of this Citizen. It seems well built. There seems to have been a lack of attention to some aesthetic detail. I hope it doesn't scratch easily and that the mechanism lasts. It is a very comfortable and good looking watch.
review image
on February 12, 2013
It's a good looking watch, obviously unique having everything all black with the exception of the band loops and date. I originally thought people were being too critical about being able to actually read the time indoors, but found myself agreeing. It is incredibly hard to see the dials indoors. Without a direct light source on it, forget it. The dials and numbers do light up, however its incredibly weak. You will not have a watch glows in the dark when you need it. The only way I've seen the glow in the dark feature was by holding the watch up to my halogen light for a few seconds. The glow disappeared within 10 seconds. How's the effective?

Seems more like a piece of arm jewelry more than a watch, yet for the price I can't find it worth it. The band is very stiff and assume will loosen up, but every has said it should be replaced. That further drives me to want to return this. I really wish their was a button to light the dials. This would change everything and make this an effective watch.
on May 27, 2012
Yes it has a dark dial and hands and with lower light levels I cant see the numbers but I can still see the hands, so if you can tell time without numbers you are fine. The only thing that kept me from giving it 5 stars is the illumination on the hands isn't that good.
on December 14, 2014
After purchasing this watch as a gift for my husband and it stating that it had "luminosity" in the product description I expected that in the dark my husband would be able to still read the time. This expectation was not met as the watch does not even faintly glow and because of that it is useless in low light situations particularly due to the black on black display. Overall a very good looking watch but the look of it is not really worth the lack of visibility in the dark.
on July 24, 2012
I love how this watch looks and feels. I get a lot of looks and comments on how nice the watch looks. When I was looking for a watch I wanted something with a canvas, rubber, or leather strap. I have never liked bracelet style bands.

When I saw this watch I was instantly drawn to it. The brand, the looks, and the price made me want it. I have had this watch for about a month and have no problems being able to read it during the day. At night that's a different issue all together. This is were I feel that the watch falls short. The hands do not glow enough to tell time in low light situations if you have been inside all day. If I work outside and come into a dark room it has just enough glow to get close to the correct time. If you have not been exposed to a bright light forget about being able to tell what time it is.

What I end up doing before bed or going out at night is I take a bright light like a spotlight or flashlight and shine it on the watch for about 15 secs or so. That charges the hands and then I'm able to see it in low light conditions.

I like the watch and wear it every day and would buy it again but I really would like to see citizen come out with another watch like this just with better low light capabilities.
on November 25, 2012
When you buy this watch, immediately remove the canvas band and replace it with at least something leather. But maybe some of you will like the strap it comes with even though it doesn't seem to match the rest of the watch.

I've owned a couple Eco-Drives and have had good experiences with their precision, functionality, and longevity. This one is no different. However, the watch can only be read during daylight hours or indoors. Unless you have the visual acuity of an owl while under a full moon, you will probably be frustrated with this watch at night. On top of that, the "glow in the dark" pieces are remarkably dim, and retains a glow for less than five minutes.

This is a good fashion watch. It looks nice wherever you are with whatever you're wearing (provided you've ditched the canvas band). The timing and mechanics are spot on, but CAVEAT EMPTOR: you are better off checking the time on your cell phone rather than trying to read this watch in the dark.
on July 4, 2016
Citizen Eco Drive watches are the best watches for the money! This is my 6th Citizen Eco and I LOVE them! I have one woman's but the rest are men's watches because of the nice big size - love the chunky look! They will size down to a woman's wrist (of course this one does not need it). This watch is amazing looking for either sex. It is one of the less expensive one's I've bought but my favorite! This can be an everyday watch or dress up. My husband even commented on this one and he doesn't care for watches. For the women buying them - make sure you wear it tight enough it doesn't flip on you. One watch I had sized and it spins on my arm sometimes and now the crystal needs to be replaced - my fault.
on July 16, 2012
Decent watch. Feels a bit cheap. Hard to read sometimes, but I expected that from a black-on-black watch. Went swimming with it in a lake one single time and now it has a scratch on the bezel and a scratch on the face. Which is sad because I had hoped that a solar-powered watch would be built to last longer than a watch battery.
on May 18, 2016
Product was OK, except the date sometimes displayed incorrectly. However, after a few months is started working (charging?) intermittently. Now, it's just about a year old, and it no longer works well at all. It basically doesn't charge anymore. It'll work for a day or so, then stop for days, etc. Appears that the charging system spontaneously stopped.