Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win STEM Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on March 29, 2015
This is a tough review to write. For the first two months of owning this watch I loved it. It really looks striking in an understated way, and the engineer in me likes the easy-to-read watch face. I was getting serveral comments a week about it, and from a largely engineering crowd, that's saying something. The leather strap is also much nice than most leather bands - this one wears much better, is thicker, and doesn't develop a sharp crease at the buckle point.

But after owning it for about three months, I started to notice the black anodizing next to the bezel was starting to scratch off. Not evenly wear, but develop a myriad of fine scratches in it that was allowing the bright steel body to shine through. Curiously, the body was not affected at all. More problematically though is the crystal covering the watch face. I've never seen a glass watch face scratch as easily as this. I don't wear it when doing anything rough - just teaching/research as a college professor, yet after three months it was covered with so many minute scratches the face actually looks fuzzy and is becoming difficult to read. It is this network of scratches that is starting to make the watch both unattractive and gradually unreadable...none of my cheaper Timex's or any of my previous Citizen's have had anything like this happen to them.

*** UPDATE ***

After owning it for 9 months the crystal is so scratched it become almost unusable. See photo. I sent it in for warantee repair, at 9 months into a 5 year warantee. The warantee was denied, saying scrached crystals are specifically disallowed, and the repair bill would be $60.17. I let them keep it; I am not interested in owning a watch that will need to be repaired every 9 months.
review image
282 helpful votes
283 helpful votes
88 comments|Report abuse
on August 13, 2014
Just got it yesterday so not a lot of time has past but initial thoughts are as follows. Looks better in person than on computer. As others have said feels hefty but not weighty, well made I guess is a better description. Some have commented strap/band feels cheap, maybe not genuine leather but mine seems to be genuine and fairly well made. Sleek Italian leather you would find in an expensive Lambo? Of course not but certainly a "better" feel to the leather than most ball gloves I've had. The one thing about the band, and others have mentioned it, is that it is a little short. Perhaps a 1/4 inch or so. I have a 7.25-7.5 inch wrist and I can only get to the third hole when fastening. That may sound reasonable however that only allows for the end of the band to barely get to the second loop to secure it. That is with the 2nd loop pushed next to the first loop. Could really use a slightly longer band. When I laid it side by side to another unworking watch it was around a quarter inch or so shorter than the mens band I have on the other one. So, my only complaint, if you will, is that the band could be longer. I remind that I have had it for less than 24 hours so if thing things change I will update. So far so good, glad I bought it. 5 stars for now.
3 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on August 28, 2016
Great watch,
I wanted a simple watch that resembles some of the flight instruments of the HC-130, and this one fits the bill for much less then the Bell and Ross watch I can't afford. The black does scratch but that is because I have bumped into metal. The glass has been bumped around a few times but is holding up great, so far not a single scratch. I really like the leather wristband it takes about a month to break in as it is a little stiff at first. the lumination is excellent for a short period of time, mine does not stay lit up at a high level for long periods. Not a huge deal for me. Overall I highly recommend this watch for its simplistic yet elegant look.
on August 30, 2017
Decided on the Eco-drive watch after a recommendation from a friend. Received my package yesterday the boxing and packaging was great. Getting to the watch, overall very nice looking but see a major issue with the quality of the glass, it doesn't give me a feeling that it will hold up to prolonged use. In addition the major issue with my watch is there is a blemish on the watch face directly in the middle of the dial. These two aspects alone raise quality issues on me recommending this watch to others.
on November 6, 2014
I needed an everyday watch that was stylish, practical, relatively cheap (compared to my best automatic), and one that was incredibly dependable. This watch fits that description perfectly.

Addressing the concern over the leather band many illustrated in their reviews: I was concerned about this, so much that it almost prevented me from purchasing the watch. I even bought a backup to replace it if it turned out to be as sub-par as some reviewers had indicated. I have since returned the spare band.

The leather (or synthetic leather) band isn't the greatest, but it is certainly not the deal breaker I had feared. It's color matches the watch perfectly; it looks more than acceptable; it has no negative issues as far as comfort. I would say the quality of the band is good enough as to not let this deter you from the purchase.

In closing, Citizen's eco-drive is really a proven winner, the watch looks great, and is the type of unique timepiece you'll definitely get compliments on -- compliments that didn't come at the expense of four digits or more!

Certainly recommend.
on August 30, 2013
The initial set-up of the day of week and date on the watch was a little tricky, but if you read the manual you'll be okay. The crown pokes out a bit more than I'd like, and has a pretty delicate feel when pulled out, but so far I have had no problems adjusting it. The band it comes with is kind of ugly but it pairs nicely with black orange NATO style straps I've purchased; it can go from subtle to wow with the right straps. My only complaint is that the seconds hand doesn't seem to be in alignment with the second tick marks. It's always slightly more towards the center point of the marks than on the mark. Makes me wonder about the set-up time Citizen spends per watch. With no need to wind or replace batteries for years, in theory, I'm looking forward to wearing this a while.
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on May 7, 2017
What you see here is what you get. It's cool watch. My only complaint is that the luminescence is not good - I don't need it that often, but it would be nice if it was usable. I've had watches 20+ years ago that did much better which seems weird. Outside of that, I am happy so far.
on December 26, 2013
I have owned this watch a little less than 2 weeks and so far it keeps good time. It looks smart and I like the synthetic leather band.
The hands do not glow in the dark unless exposed to bright light just before going into darkness, which is OK with me.
It if lasts 10 years like my Seiko, I will be very satisfied.

Update. It is now about 3 1/2 years since I bought this watch and I wear it every day. I am very satisfied and this watch is very low maintenance. My crystal is getting a few minor scratches but nothing serious.
on November 10, 2013
This watch is good as advertised. The functions of the watch make it a major consideration. Powered by solar not
requiring a battery is a plus. The illumination requires positioning the wrist correctly and how dark the surroundings.

I suggest changing the band but what are you going to replace it with? Not leather which will cost half of the watch
discounted price. The canvas bands appear the best option.

The day of the week and date are useful functions that you will be happy with. I had to adjust the date and day two
months in a row but was most-likely because of the 31 not being in one of the months.

The Citizen brand is a reliable watch. We are looking at different styles in the Citizen's Eco-Dirve because of this
watch. This watch is a good buy.
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
on November 15, 2017
Good watch, I just feel that I could have purchased better for the money. Much prefer Seiko over Citizen. I know it is personal preference, but I do feel I could have purchased a Seiko and would get more for my money. Again, just my opinion.
0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.