Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Citizen Men's BN0000-04H Stainless Steel Eco-Drive Dive Watch
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

on February 16, 2009
This was one of Citizen's first "eco drive" watches and is still in production! Mine is the "Diver's 200m" and somewhere along the way Citizen upgraded it to 300m without changing the design. It's worked perfectly for me for over 10 years and remains one of my favorites due to its brushed steel finish, textured dial, raised hour markers and unique hands. Keep in mind that this is one of the smallest mens dive watches on the market to choose. The case measures 40mm diagonally, however, the outer bezel ring measures 38mm across. So by the time you work your way into the dial, the watch appears to be smaller than other 40mm watches and the trend today is to produce dive watches much greater than 40mm. However, I haven't bought into wearing the new HUGE styles and think this watch is the right size. I ditched the rubber band right off and have worn various 20mm bands with it. I've been waiting for Citzen to come out with stainless steel watchband for it to dress it up. It has a classic minimalist style with a unique look that doesn't try to copy any other brands.
on December 24, 2012
I read all the reviews I could find for several weeks before deciding on the Citizen Men's BN0000-04H Eco-Drive Professional Diver. Let me say right from the start I have been a Luminox fan for the last 10 or 12 years and Seiko Dive Watches before that. Also I use bifocals. I ordered this watch after returning a Timex Military Combo which had enough complexity to satisfy the most ardent Watch Geek. That's not me! Also, although it was large it was difficult to tell time with both by day and by night.

Now lets look at the Citizen Men's BN0000-04H Eco-Drive Professional Diver. The packaging was very well done. Upon seeing the watch in person for the first time I was impressed with the look. I like large watches. Rather than call it small I would say it is compact. Even without my bifocals I can tell the time because the face is compact without being cramped. It is a clean look. It is definitely not as large as Luminox or some Seiko but it has a presence and a weight that is very appealing.

I did have trouble with the small crown but solved it with a latex glove which allowed a secure grip. Not a deal breaker for me. The luminosity is very good (not as good as a Luminox but as good as Seiko).

Now the MOST important factor for me is that IT HAS NO BACK BECAUSE IT NEEDS NO BATTERY! I can't tell you the frustration over the years of changing batteries in a watch I liked and having it lose it waterproof ability because once the hatch was opened it became a heavy, expensive sieve!

The Citizen Men's BN0000-04H Eco-Drive Professional Diver has no back cover because it need no battery. This allows a very sleek look and should ensure a long life of waterproof service.

I did not like the band so I switched it out for a Hirsch Pure Rubber. You may like the original if you don't mind a rather stiff band. Is it terrible? No. Could I live with it. Sure.

I set this watch the day I got it and so far it is dead on after almost two weeks. That is outstanding. In short the Citizen Men's BN0000-04H Eco-Drive Professional Diver is comfortable, good looking, keeps really good time, requires no battery, and the Amazon price beat anyone else I could find in whom I had confidence.
BUY THIS ONE!

Mike
on December 24, 2014
Although my previous BN0000 was stolen, I'd logged almost 100 dives on it. Really great tool watch that keeps great time and performs brilliantly underwater -- if you're okay with the quartz tick. The crystal, being mineral, does scratch, and I do have to be more careful with it underwater than my sapphire-crystal watches, but it's easy-to-read, and really comfortable on a Nato / Zulu strap (and even the rubber strap that it comes with isn't bad); also wears well on a metal braclet. Bezel is solidly-built and, although LOUD, clicks evenly and smoothly. You can't beat this for the pricepoint. If you own one of these and you *don't* dive, why not start? I promise, your dive watch will look 100x sexier underwater ;~P
on October 14, 2013
One does not need to research this watch more than a day to see that everyone raves about it. Most reviews give 4.5 out of 5 stars. I have 2 automatic dive watches and 2 quartz ones and this is my favorite. It does not have that oversized bulky dive watch look that everyone seems to be wearing these days, but it has the quality of a much more expensive watch. I'm not a fan of rubber straps, so I immediately replaced it with a 20mm brushed stainless Watchadoo that I had on my Seiko Orange Monster. This required pushing the steel spacer tubes out of the rubber strap and re-using them around the original pins to make for a perfect fit on the Watchadoo endlinks. The watch looks smaller than it's 40mm size, especially when comparing to my 47mm Invicta Grand Diver, but remember the Submariner is still a 40mm with no plans to go larger. For those that never had a dive watch and want that sport look without strapping on a 48-52mm tuna can on their wrist, this is the way to go. You also get 300m water resistance which is better than many dive watches that are twice the price. It looks just a good in the water as it does with a shirt and tie. Read the reviews and you won't be sorry.
on February 23, 2016
You guys. This might be the one.

If you're a commercial diver, divemaster, instructor, or anything that has you in the water day in and day out... this watch seems to be the perfect combo.

- The bezel is unidirectional, and has has very solid detents that lock-up exactly at the second hashes.
- The second-hand is hacking, which is important because in some applications the seconds actually DO matter (I also use this watch for flying, and timing between points and cross-checking my INUs/GPS requires accuracy for seconds)
- Solar charging, so no worries about changing the battery every year. The manual says the battery is good for at least 10 years, at which point you send it to Citizen for a change I guess.
- Dive rated, to just shy of 1000ft (300M). As long as you aren't doing saturation trimix/heliox/triair/hydrox diving, you're good to go (this covers 99.9-something % of divers in the world)
- Standard 20mm pins so the watch band is easy to change out. You'll want a large NATO for drysuit, and a small one for day-to-day. You can change the NATO bands in about 15 seconds. Super easy. You'll likely need to take it to the jeweler's to get the stock band removed, but that only took them a few minutes.
- Solid stainless steel body. VERY slim. Thinner than any other dive watch I've worn.
- Uncluttered display. Nothing distracting. Easy to read. Glows strongly in the dark. Reference marking at 60/0 on the rotating bezel.
- Date window is small and does not clutter or distract.
- Slightly curved crystal makes this very readable underwater. A good thing!

Will update this review with accuracy and durability after a while of hard use. Stay tuned. :)
on January 1, 2007
I have owned this watch since 1997 and it has never failed in all that time of continuous/discontinuous use. Because it is powered by ambient light sources it never needs winding so it is really reliable as long as it is exposed to as little as ten or fifteen minutes of indirect light. This is good enough, if memory serves me correctly, for at least 3 days of operation, and since it's pretty unlikely your going to go three days without some ambient light it runs without batteries or winding.

This is a watch that is solidly built and handsomely austere/spare in it's aesthetic. While I'm no diver it's design does seem genuinely functional for scuba as it machined from a block of stainless steel, has an excellent bezel and a luminous hands and face and is water resistant to 300m. I wear it in the ocean all the time when I swim and its case stainless-steel looks as good as the day I purchased it.

There are some, seemingly minor, shortcomings: 1.the face could be a bit larger as I think divers might find it easier to read, 2.while it has a date indicator it could us a magnifying element to make reading it easier, 3. my crystal starting to show some wear and tear, mostly surface scratches from bangs and bumps but this is my fault although a non-reflective crystal would be great.

In summary, for the price this watch is a real bargain and, dare I say, one even a diver could wear with confidence. As a fashion time piece, which I figure is what most people who purchase this kind of watch buy it for, it is an excellent value.
on October 3, 2010
Bought this watch in December 2008 from AMAZON ($165.00).
I have worn this watch nearly two years now every day. Added a black Zulu watch strap which holds up well. Comfortable.
A very accurate time keeper (+1 second per month). Set and forget it situation except for the calendar depending on number of days in the month. Runs very well. No power problems. Rugged and dependable. Easy to read in day or night. Calendar display is set rather deep into face of watch because of solar cell panel, but is okay to observe. Get one.
review image
on June 30, 2010
I've had this watch for about three years now. Based on the text of the reviews some people who have criticized this watch clearly do not even own it (One reviewer complained their metal band broke...well this watch has a rubber wrist strap that is comfortable and nearly indestructable, so that reviewer is full of baloney.)

I have taken this watch swimming, hiking, diving in the rain, snow, and water in Yosemite, Big Sur, Maui, Kuai, Catalina and even the Dead Sea..yes that's right the Dead Sea!

I have never had a problem with it. When we go camping it just stays on my wrist 24/7 in the pool, in the shower and in the ocean.

The face and hands are easy to read during daylight, underwater and in darkness. The glow-in-the-dark feature works for about 15 minutes after full darkness and then is easily recharged with a flashlight shined on the face for about 15 seconds.

The watch has an internal battery that is charged with a solar cell built into the face and never needs winding, however you do need to trot it out into the sunlight for an hour or so once a week to keep the battery charged. The reviewer who complained his battery went dead clearly did not read the directions, perhaps does not know what a solar cell is, or does not own this watch. This battery charging mechanism is pure genius on the part of Citizen. I own two watches that use this mechanism and neither has had a single performance issue EVER.

I used to buy SEIKO watches and while they are more elegant and compact, I had to change the battery about every 18-20 months (at a watchmaker so the water-proof seal is properly maintained) and the crystals were fragile and scratched easily. These ECO-Drive watches are built like tanks (warning-they are bulky and heavy) but they just keep working.

Buy this watch!

July 24, 2012 UPDATE

Alright so this watch is now about 5 years old and I still love it. Let's add some recent expeditions to its experience. I have taken it to Upper Kern River kayaking (with full immersion) swimming in Lake Ida and Lake Piru and its just keeps going and going

Still on orginal band with no visible signs of signigficant deterioration or stetching. I really bang it up and the crystal remains clear and no major scratching (very impressive!)

One thing new I just learned on our last camping trip. If you hold one of the new LED flashlights against the dial for about 10 seconds the watch face will glow very brightly for about 45 minutes, then dim over the next few hours. I "charged" the glow this way at about 10:00pm and it was still glowing nicely at 4:00am.
on October 11, 2011
This watch is one of my favorites, along with the steel Luminox divers watch. I have used it on many dives and no problems. My first one lasted over 10 years. Perfect timekeeping and never a worry about batteries!
on October 13, 2012
I own the Citizen Men's BN0000-04H Eco-Drive Professional Diver Black Rubber Strap Watch and it's great. I have a swiss legend, overall nice, no doubt, but it's big, fat, really heavy and becomes a drag after some hours on one's wrist. This diver watch is the right size, not heavy, simple despite the top technology inside, looks cool (picture can not give it correct credit)and the overall quality is undeniably good. You wear it and forget it's there - ; it's my every-day-to-wear-all-purpose time piece. I stripped off the original rubber band and replaced it for the black Zulu-4ring-20mm band, it's perfectly comfortable and gives the watch an even more purposeful appearance. Get it, you will love!