BCA Month Beauty altText This Week in Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on May 4, 2009
Bought from Amazon 4/8/08 : Reviewed 5/19/09: Great watch. Works great. Accurate time. Used it when swimming and not a drop of moisture ever gets in. Just make sure the crown is screwed down tight before you go into the water. The moderate size of the watch is really nice. It can be worn for dress or sports. My wife has the smaller womens version and she loves it also. I hope this watch or an upgraded version is around when this one wears out.

Update 8/18/09 - Watch still working great. Went on vacation to many different hotels and swam with watch for hours. Still no moisture has been seen under crystal. Great watch which keeps accurate time within 1 minute per year.
Update 10/8/09 - My watch and my wife's watch continues to be accurate and waterproof. Great watch and looks great too!
Update 2/8/10 - The watches are still working fine. Still no problems with water getting in while swimming. Just a pleasure to have.
Update 4/20/10 - Still working great after 2 years of owning it. Hope it is still around when I need another one. Watch is same price now as when I first bought it @ 165 dollars.
Update 8/20/10 - Still working great. Went on vacation and watch continues to keep water/moisture out 100% ! Even went into a hot whirlpool and exposed it to the water jets for a couple of minutes and NO moisture was seen under the glass! Amazon reduced price to $145, what a steal, I may buy another just in case the one I have breaks down in the future!!!
Update 11/22/10 - Still working great. Still no moisture has gotten under the crystal. Time stays accurate within a minute per year. My wife has a ladies version that is also working fine. Happy Thanksgiving to all !!!
Update: 2/21/11 - Still working great. No problems at all. Fantastic watch. My wife also loves hers. This solar powered waterproof watch is all the watch you will ever need. It will soon be 3 years since the date I bought it,on 4/8/08, and I am sure happy I did!!!
Update: 3/9/11 - Bought one for a birthday present for a relative and he just loves it. Sent it to him gift rapped - 1 day mail. He called me and told me it was just a beautiful watch. This watch is really a hit everywhere I go. I hope they keep making it. The one piece solid steel case back is unique and being solar powered makes it a rare watch indeed. It is the most comfortable watch I have worn. The photo on Amazon does not do it justice. It is really a handsome watch. Citizen ECO-Drive 300 meter is a far better value than any divers watch out there. I should know, I just bought the new Rolex Deep Sea. It is one impressive piece of watch. It is the only watch in existence that can withstand a water pressure depth down to a tested 16,000 feet. The crystal is virtually unbreakable. The $9800 sticker price is ridiculous and I was able to get the authorized dealer to sell it to me for $8800 including tax. Just a great price for this type of collectable iconic watch. But the Citizen ECO 300 meter, price for performance, with same basic look but much thinner and lighter is a far better deal for the average watch wearer who wants a high quality diver watch for a very reasonable price.
Update: 5/1/11 - Watch still working great. No problems at all. Just a great quartz watch. My wife's women's ECO 300 is also working fine.
Update: 1/2/2012 - HAPPY NEW YEAR! My ECO-Drive diver's watch is still working great and so is the one my wife has. Price still the same as when I bought it on 4/8/08. It is just a great watch and I have not had any problems with it nor has my wife. I Have bought two more of these watches as presents for relatives and they just love these watches. The solar driven mechanism and 300 meter diving ability make these watches unique! May you all have a healthy & happy year!
Update: 7/25/2012 - Hello everybody. My watch is still working great and so is my wife's. What a winner is this watch. See you after the Summer.

Update: 5/21/2013 - Watch finally stopped working. No known reason. Just does not charge up anymore. Got over 5 years of use. Never had a problem. Bought another one. These watches run on a solar battery and you just cannot change it. It is out of warranty so I just bought another one. Hope I can get another 5 years at least!

Update: 9/16/2014 - Watch started up again. After it stopped working I put it away in its box for around 16 months. I came across the box while cleaning out my closet and decided I would just check to see if it miraculously might work? I pushed the crown back down and the second hand started moving. WOW I said. Put the watch on the window sill for around 2 days to recharge it and it now is keeping perfect time! Will update in 3 months!

Update: 12/21/14 - Watch still working and keeping perfect time. Just amazing that this watch started up again but electronic equipment is buggy that way. By the way my wife's Eco - drive is still working. Great watch and now I have two. I put the new one I bought away and I am using the original this one purchased 4/08/2008! Bye, Happy Holidays and a great New Year!

Update: 8/10/15 - Hi again - Watch still working - I suggest to keep the watch exposed to indoor direct sun light for a couple of hours per day and it will probably keep running much longer than the 5 year average life span many owners have experienced.
Mine has been going for 7 years. I believe that it stopped on 5/21/2013 for lack of sufficient sun light. Having it under normal incandescent room lighting might not fully charge it.

Update: 3/25/16 - Watch still working fine - I see it is now on sale!!! Well worth the price. Can't buy a more dependable diver's watch. My Deep Sea Rolex is an automatic and runs down in 2 days if you don't wear it. The Citizen ECO-Drive 300 meter Solar watch keeps on ticking whether you wear it or not. If you wear it everyday out doors it will stay charged. If you are not going to wear it for months just keep it exposed to sunlight on a window sill and it will keep on ticking! See you - Bye until next time!!!
77 comments| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 23, 2016
You guys. This might be the one.

If you're a commercial diver, divemaster, instructor, or anything that has you in the water day in and day out... this watch seems to be the perfect combo.

- The bezel is unidirectional, and has has very solid detents that lock-up exactly at the second hashes.
- The second-hand is hacking, which is important because in some applications the seconds actually DO matter (I also use this watch for flying, and timing between points and cross-checking my INUs/GPS requires accuracy for seconds)
- Solar charging, so no worries about changing the battery every year. The manual says the battery is good for at least 10 years, at which point you send it to Citizen for a change I guess.
- Dive rated, to just shy of 1000ft (300M). As long as you aren't doing saturation trimix/heliox/triair/hydrox diving, you're good to go (this covers 99.9-something % of divers in the world)
- Standard 20mm pins so the watch band is easy to change out. You'll want a large NATO for drysuit, and a small one for day-to-day. You can change the NATO bands in about 15 seconds. Super easy. You'll likely need to take it to the jeweler's to get the stock band removed, but that only took them a few minutes.
- Solid stainless steel body. VERY slim. Thinner than any other dive watch I've worn.
- Uncluttered display. Nothing distracting. Easy to read. Glows strongly in the dark. Reference marking at 60/0 on the rotating bezel.
- Date window is small and does not clutter or distract.
- Slightly curved crystal makes this very readable underwater. A good thing!

Will update this review with accuracy and durability after a while of hard use. Stay tuned. :)
on June 4, 2013
I received this same watch as a gift from by grandmother more than 15 years ago. That watch has been beat up but still works perfectly. Band is original (numbers wore off of course), bezel has visible wear and crystal has minor scratches. But the watch still functions perfectly. It has been used and abused hard, trust me.

I loved this watch so much, I purchased another Citizen dive watch. They truly are magnificant. No batteries to replace. Fit and finish is second to none.

Purchased this same watch as a gift for a family member who is a construction tradesmen. The Luminox which we previously purchased for him under my advice has not held up to the test of time on the jobsite. (FYI - I own five Luminox's, and I am 50/50 on them. Colormark 3051 series is ok, looks good but is not very durable. Own a 6402 B.O. and a 3152 and LOVE them.)

Moral of the story is this. If you are looking for a DURABLE and GREAT LOOKING watch, THIS IS IT. Again, I have this same watch that has endured over 15 years of abuse and it is still tickin.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon August 4, 2011
I like the Citizen Eco-Drive models - they are basically maintenance free. This Eco-Drive is a decent mid-sized model. If you like big dive watches, then I recommend the Citizen Men's BJ8050 Diver watch.

This Citizen Men's BN0000-04H Eco-Drive Professional Diver Black Rubber Strap Watch is a true dive watch with a unidirectional bezel and super bright luminous dial. It even has a convenient No Decompression limits (NDL) table printed on the high quality rubber watch band.

SEE MY PHOTOS IN CUSTOMER IMAGES

Like all the eco-drive models, this is a 'set it and forget it' watch. This is great if you are watch collector, or you don't use your dive watch every day.

You can replace the strap/band with any 20mm strap/band. This watch needs no expensive proprietory replacement band that only the manufacturer stocks. Great!

CONS:

The numbers are painted on the bezel - so, they would eventually wear (etched on numbers would have been better).

The date window is tiny but still readable.

The small recessed screw down crown is a bit cumbersome to manipulate.

In all fairness, you only need to unscrew the crown to set the date 5 times for the year (for the 30 day months and Feb).

I gave this watch 4 STARS. Despite the limitations, I like this watch. It's an attractive, quality Citizen Eco-Drive dive watch that is well priced.
review image review image review image review image review image
on December 24, 2012
I read all the reviews I could find for several weeks before deciding on the Citizen Men's BN0000-04H Eco-Drive Professional Diver. Let me say right from the start I have been a Luminox fan for the last 10 or 12 years and Seiko Dive Watches before that. Also I use bifocals. I ordered this watch after returning a Timex Military Combo which had enough complexity to satisfy the most ardent Watch Geek. That's not me! Also, although it was large it was difficult to tell time with both by day and by night.

Now lets look at the Citizen Men's BN0000-04H Eco-Drive Professional Diver. The packaging was very well done. Upon seeing the watch in person for the first time I was impressed with the look. I like large watches. Rather than call it small I would say it is compact. Even without my bifocals I can tell the time because the face is compact without being cramped. It is a clean look. It is definitely not as large as Luminox or some Seiko but it has a presence and a weight that is very appealing.

I did have trouble with the small crown but solved it with a latex glove which allowed a secure grip. Not a deal breaker for me. The luminosity is very good (not as good as a Luminox but as good as Seiko).

Now the MOST important factor for me is that IT HAS NO BACK BECAUSE IT NEEDS NO BATTERY! I can't tell you the frustration over the years of changing batteries in a watch I liked and having it lose it waterproof ability because once the hatch was opened it became a heavy, expensive sieve!

The Citizen Men's BN0000-04H Eco-Drive Professional Diver has no back cover because it need no battery. This allows a very sleek look and should ensure a long life of waterproof service.

I did not like the band so I switched it out for a Hirsch Pure Rubber. You may like the original if you don't mind a rather stiff band. Is it terrible? No. Could I live with it. Sure.

I set this watch the day I got it and so far it is dead on after almost two weeks. That is outstanding. In short the Citizen Men's BN0000-04H Eco-Drive Professional Diver is comfortable, good looking, keeps really good time, requires no battery, and the Amazon price beat anyone else I could find in whom I had confidence.
BUY THIS ONE!

Mike
on October 14, 2013
One does not need to research this watch more than a day to see that everyone raves about it. Most reviews give 4.5 out of 5 stars. I have 2 automatic dive watches and 2 quartz ones and this is my favorite. It does not have that oversized bulky dive watch look that everyone seems to be wearing these days, but it has the quality of a much more expensive watch. I'm not a fan of rubber straps, so I immediately replaced it with a 20mm brushed stainless Watchadoo that I had on my Seiko Orange Monster. This required pushing the steel spacer tubes out of the rubber strap and re-using them around the original pins to make for a perfect fit on the Watchadoo endlinks. The watch looks smaller than it's 40mm size, especially when comparing to my 47mm Invicta Grand Diver, but remember the Submariner is still a 40mm with no plans to go larger. For those that never had a dive watch and want that sport look without strapping on a 48-52mm tuna can on their wrist, this is the way to go. You also get 300m water resistance which is better than many dive watches that are twice the price. It looks just a good in the water as it does with a shirt and tie. Read the reviews and you won't be sorry.
on August 28, 2014
This is an amazing watch! It is almost my go to watch for pretty much everything. The stainless steel case is just gorgeous and the seamless back is very cool. I've worn this thing in fresh water and salt water, hot water and cold water, and not once did it fail in anyway whatsoever! I've done some night hikes with it, and the luminous hands are still glowing when morning comes, even if I don't shine my headlamp at it! This is just a extremely well built watch. That being said, I don't like the band that much, and the crown is kind of hard to screw down, but this watch looks so good and preforms so well that it easily balances it out! If you're thinking of getting this watch, just get it. Seriously, you won't regret it for a second!
on December 20, 2013
I bought this watch 6 months ago and it's just great, especially considering the price! I use it for scuba diving and everyday use as well. It's very accurate, really keeps its charge, and looks great. In researching watches I could use for scuba diving, this is about the least expensive you can get and still have a watch that is "really waterproof." Any watch rated less that 200 meters is not really suitable for scuba diving and this watch is rated to 300 meters. There are two different ISO ratings for watches: ISO 2281 is for "water resistant" and ISO 6425 is for real diving watches. Don't be fooled by ISO 2281"water resistant" ratings - this just means occasional use in water like in a swimming pool no matter what the water resistant number is. For scuba diving, the rating should be for a "diving watch" rated to 200 meters as per ISO 6425.

For example:
1. Water Resistant 3 ATM or 30 m Suitable for everyday use. Splash/rain resistant. NOT suitable for showering, bathing, swimming, snorkelling, water related work and fishing.
2. Water Resistant 5 ATM or 50 m Suitable for swimming, white water rafting, non-snorkeling water related work, and fishing.
3. Water Resistant 10 ATM or 100 m Suitable for recreational surfing, swimming, snorkeling, sailing and water sports.

Versus diving watches:
1. Diver's 100 m Minimum ISO standard (ISO 6425) for scuba diving at depths NOT suitable for saturation diving. Diver's 100 m and 150 m watches are generally old(er) watches.
2. Diver's 200 m or 300 m Suitable for scuba diving at depths (but not suitable for saturation diving). Typical ratings for contemporary diver's watches.

So if you plan to use a watch for scuba diving, this watch is about the best you can do for the price.
on August 1, 2015
Debated between the Seiko, Luminox and this one. Watches are a very personal thing. Went with this one. Price was great, on sale. looks real sharp, get lots of compliments. Wore while diving in Cozumel 1st week I received it. Face and crystal is very clear, easy to read at 75' down. not having to wind or ever change a battery is a plus. The luminous markers soak up the light well in both inside and outside light (outside better), glow much longer than the old Timex watches I've owned, but do not glow as long after dark as the Luminox my friend has. If you have a cree ultra fire flashlight during hunting season, you could "charge the watch face" for 60 seconds, and have the markers visible well after daylight. Face doesn't glow like a Timex Indiglo, but thats not a problem for me, as the markers and hands are all you need to see, and are very bright when charged. I have a job where dress casual is standard business attire, and this watch works great for that.

Size is nice. 43mm.

No regrets at all.

I do have my eye on another Citizen watch, with silver band, to add to my collection.

Note: Read Instructions before trying to set the time. The spin adjustment knob must be untwisted (tight seal for water) before you attempt to pull out to set time and date.
on December 3, 2013
Although the Amazon price was higher than one listing on Ebay, I bought mine here because of Amazon's robust return policy.. I need a "stopwatch" function, actually an elapsed time indicator, for pre-dawn runs in town and backcountry skiing, and I also need to see the time of day - - both indications at a glance in all conditions of illumination. Subdials and tiny digital screens are often too small to see quickly and clearly. With a watch under several layers of clothing, finding and using G-Shock buttons with ice encrusted mittens is not practical. The BN000-04H bezel is accurate enough for my purposes. For times longer than an hour, I can remember when I began timing. The stiff, positive bezel is reassuring, and its figures are easily distinguished from the time of day markings. The watch is small, plain and delightfully uncluttered. The writing on the band was quickly removed with acetone. My three other Eco-Drives have been tough and reliable, so I am pretty confident about this one.