Your Garage World Book Day STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Shop Popular Services Bosch Bosch Bosch  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 85 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 160 reviews
on August 15, 2012
I bought this watch for my son, who's a Navy pilot, three years ago. You can get the technical stuff on the other reviews, all I can tell you about it is that he loves this watch.

He had the "Blue Angels" version of the Skyhawk watch and it accidentally got "fried" by AN/SPY-1 radar. The ship's radar operator forgot to turn it off on close approach of his aircraft, apparently, and it cooked his watch.

So I bought him this one to replace the Blue Angels version Skyhawk. He said "You done real good, Dad".

Pros-

Navy pilot loves watch.
Could be traded for a camel if emergency transportation was required.
Works perfectly for a real, no-kidding US Naval Aviator (Lieutenant Commander as of this writing).
Has given flawless service for several years now.

Cons-

Is not immune to high energy radar.
Doesn't shoot bullets or missiles.
Makes other pilots jealous.

You can take this for what it's worth but every time I see a pic of him "on duty" anywhere in the world, he's got that watch on his wrist.
on April 15, 2008
I spent a good three weeks researching various watches to replace the automatic that was failing to keep time. I was looking at the Citizen Calibre line of watches as well as the Seiko Coutura line, but I finally decided that the Citizen Skyhawk A-T was the only watch that had the three features that I really wanted:

- Battery-free operation
- Atomic clock accuracy
- Backlight

Like others, I was a bit concerned about the size and weight, and I did try on the titanium version, which costs $150 more, but I found that it was *too* light. It felt like I was wearing tinfoil. The stainless steel has a "reassuring, solid heft" to it, but it's by no means too heavy. And, the attractive dial is continually attracting comments. Not to mention that the hands and large markers are easy to read against the black dial. It's a very striking watch, and quite noticeable.

Feature-wise, this watch is jammed-pack, which is quite amazing when you consider it's a solar-powered watch: time in 43 cities, countdown timer, chronometer, perpetual calendar, two alarms, and an atomic clock radio receiver??? I was a little concerned about it not getting enough light as I work in an office and wear long-sleeved shirts, but the power gauge never goes below "full charge." Very reassuring, indeed. It was really amazing to pull it out of the box when I first got it, and all the needles starting spinning to put the watch to the correct time.

The only problem I've had was with the daylight saving time feature. As I live in Phoenix, we don't observe DST (who needs an extra hour of 120 degree heat!), and so I set the clock to Denver time and turned the DST off. But, every night, when the watch would receive the signal from the atomic clock in Colorado, I would wake up finding it an hour later than it really was, as the watch would automatically turn DST back on. After pouring through the manual, I found that you had to both turn off DST for the city the watch is set to, as well as turn it off for the atomic signal update. To do this second step, you have to set the sub-dial to RX-S and turn the "SMT" feature to "Ma." This essentially keeps the atomic clock signal from updating the DST feature.

With that figured out, I really found that I enjoy this watch immensely. It is a truly complicated watch--probably one of the most complicated I own, but the instructions are very clear. Also, I hear what other reviewers say about the backlight only showing the date, but you can easily pull out the crown and switch between date and time, so if you put it on "TIME," the backlight will display the time in the LCD. So, generally, I keep the watch on the calendar feature, so I know the date. But if I need to turn on the backlight to see the time, I pull out the crown, turn it one-quarter clockwise to the "TIME" selection, and push the light button. It sounds like a pain, but it really isn't. I find that I could do this quickly and easily, even in a darkened movie theater. The trick is to keep both LCDs on your home time, so that the analog dial and the digital LCD show the same time.

As for the links on the band, I wouldn't recommend trying to remove them yourself. I tried using a thumb tack, as another review suggested, but it seemed that I had to force them out, and it felt like I was damaging the pins. So, I stopped at a local jeweler who sized my watch for $5.

So, in conclusion I've owned many different watches over the years, including a Seiko Kinetic, which I really loved. But this is the first watch that I feel that would actually serve me for many years to come.

Update on May 21, 2011

Just wanted to add that I've worn this watch every day for the past three years and have not had a single problem with it. All features and functions work like new and the batter charge is still constantly pegged at "full." And, apart from some light scratches on the crystal (which you cannot see unless holding up to a light a certain way), the watch still looks pristine and new.

Definitely the best watch I've ever purchased. I don't forsee myself ever purchasing another watch for a long, long time.

Update on Sept 3, 2014

Still running perfectly for six years! I get the feeling that this will be the last watch I ever own.
66 comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 13, 2012
This watch is very rugged; I was in an accident with it and it survived, though it did get scratched and the crystal broke. Still keeps time. The second hand is large and easy to see. The solar recharging is worthwhile as the charging meter does keep track of the battery's charge and it only spends a small amount of time in the sun. The watch looks good as I like a busy dial, but I have to admit to almost never using the logarithmic scale on the outside. The scale moves smoothly, though. I set it for a fifteen percent tip and can use it like a slide rule (it is just a round slipstick for those who remember such) so that I can determine tips. Very happy with the spot-on timekeeping and ease of use. I have used the timer and it is intuitive. Note that the backlighting is only for the small LCD display and not the whole dial, but this display can be set for the present time in your time zone. Overall, an excellent and handsome timepiece.
on June 29, 2010
The most helpful review by Mr. "Peace" has almost all the information. I want to add that the dial at 6 o'clock is very important. You just have to twist the crown to navigate from day and date setting (that shows up in the right-side LCD), plus chronograph, plus alarms. When the atomic time signal is first received, everything is set up for your current location. No manual setting is required, hence no wear and tear on the crown like other Citizen eco-drive watches. The lume is bright enough to see long into the night, and if you have your home city in both LCDs (because you are not traveling right now to Tokyo or London), the back light will light up both LCDs to show what you want to see. If you are disoriented for some reason, a simple turn of the crown and you can see if its Monday, etc. plus the month and date.

You cannot open the back yourself, so don't even try!! Citizen must do the repair or replace the capacitor. It is more "foolproof" this way.
on September 6, 2013
The first thing that happens when you open up this watch's box is...IT WAKES UP!!! The watch to conserve power when not exposed to light is that it goes into sleep mode and stops it's functions until exposed to light again. When this happens the hands spins furiously until the time set into its memory is reached.

Some of the features I have used are the calendar, the chronograph, the timer, and the alarms. All features work without any flaws whatsoever.

The features I truly like the best is the fact that this watch will never require to have a battery switched out and that it is a "A-T" atomic time watch. Nightly it receives a radio signal that sets the time. My watch is always synched to stay in perfect time with all tech devices.

In short I love this watch and highlly recommend it to anyone looking for a stylishly simply mens watch!
on October 25, 2013
Great watch. Beautiful. Bezel is black, dial is brown, unlike description that says it's black. Buy the Citizen Blue Angel... Same features, different shaped buttons, blue dial.
on May 27, 2015
Bert nice looking very dificalt to sincronice ,very difficult to see the cites no Warandy Aussie of USA
my iPhone canibalase oll my watches
on September 25, 2013
This is the second Skyhawk watch I've owned. I bought it after my Blue Angels mysteriously disappeared at my friend's house. Since I already had a Blue Angels version, I thought I would get the black and orange version and I don't like the new design on the Blue Angel version.

When I opened the box, I was very surprised. The black and orange looks much nicer in person than it does in the pictures and Citizen finally put a light in it!!! I liked it right away but the real reason I bought the same watch again is because you can have three different time zones at the same time and for flying international there is nothing better. There is the analog UTC time and I keep the analog time set to my city and the digital time set to wherever I am flying to. It's simple and one less calculation to do in my head. The watch keeps time for 43 world cities and so far I haven't flown to a city where I couldn't set the time to.

The sliding rule, E6B computer, is cool to have but I don't really use it anymore that often. I used it a lot when flying small planes just to crosscheck my flight plan etc. Being radio controlled is also a nice feature to have. No need to worry about setting the correct time, unless you live in an area where there is no reception from one of the antennas used to update it.

Even though this watch is solar powered, it still has batteries and they will need to be changed from time to time so don't think you will never need to worry about that.

Overall this is a great watch to own if you are into aviation and very useful for those who fly, especially if you fly international. Highly recommended.
on September 15, 2007
Short video of the closeup of this watch. It has all the functionality I was looking for with solar power and atomic time setting. The back lighting is amber to not ruin your night vision. Face shows 12 hour local, 24 hour local, 24 hour GMT (UTC), and digital display can show date or another time zone. The sliderule works great for checking gas millage. Perfect watch at a reasonable price!
on March 25, 2014
To be honest, I bought this watch solely for the looks. I have a small watch collection and I wanted a real masculine aviator's style watch. However, though I possess a pilot's license, I'd be lying if I said I'd ever needed a watch to provide calculations. That said, I enjoy the accuracy of a radio-controlled watch. The lume is good and the sheer number of capabilities this watch has should warrant a review from anyone who wants a watch in the 'everything but the kitchen sink' category. There are a few caveats though. Number one...you should really think twice if you over the age of 45 and can't read small numbers very well (Either you'll squint like me or you'll buy a magnifier). The tiny booklet can be a little intimidating too as it is about a half-inch think and somewhat confusing in its arrangement. However, once you understand the underlying logic and layout, the book (and the watch) are much easy to deal with. Nice thing is, once you get the watch set...you're done. So, unlike other watches I own, my Eco Skyhawk sets and powers itself. Get past the learning curve and you have a cigar-smoking, tobacco-chewing real man's watch. This thing is big, busy and just oozes testosterone so if you're looking for a watch to wear to your next ballet recital, keep looking...