Truck Season Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now TG18PP_gno

on July 10, 2017
I've had this watch for almost 2 months now. So far I'm more than happy. However, there are some caveats.

First of all, you must absolutely read the manual before even attempting to do anything with it. I felt a little stupid trying to set it without reading... I simply couldn't do it! While the manual mostly did the job, I don't find it particularly easy to follow or well organized. In summary, this is not the typical watch you can just buy, set and use. But learning to use it really pays off.

Since I live in Peru, radio time synchronization doesn't work (no stations within range), so I can't comment on that. I bought it knowing that I wouldn't be able to use that feature, so it's no problem for me. However, I can say that in the 2 months that I have it, it has kept time within 2 seconds of my laptop, which synchronizes daily using NTP (i.e. you can assume a sub-second accuracy any given day). So no complaints on accuracy.

Regarding functionality, it's a fine watch. It simply delivers. However, there is a small caveat that has been mentioned in other reviews: you cannot set the calendar to track the timezone used for the main time display (i.e. the hands). To overcome this, I set both of them to my home timezone, but this defeats the purpose of having dual timezone in the first place. Another caveat is that although the manual mentions you can set a custom timezone offset, I haven't found a way to do it.

Finally, regarding the build quality, I have no complaints. Yes, it would've been better to have a sapphire crystal. But, overall, the build quality is excellent. The face looks great even when watched very closely. I love the titanium body and band. I love its color (which is different than stainless steel) and love the fact that it's light compared to stainless steel watches of its size. Of course only time will tell if it ages nicely.

All in all, I highly recommend this watch for everyone wanting a feature-rich watch that looks and feels great. I don't recommend it if you're looking for a simple watch or if you don't like reading through manuals to even do the most basic stuff with it.
on June 24, 2013
Maybe we all have our different passions/weak spots. Well, watches are mine. I love titanium watches for their durability and incredible lack of weight. This 50E has more functions than grains of sand on beach! One small issue is I sometimes need a magnifying glassed to read detail on the face of the watch. They are that small. I have 2 degrees but still find myself digging out the instructions to manage all the functions. That was the bad news. The good news is I was able to figure out all the major functions and some of the minor functions in about 45 minutes. Overall the watch is a beautiful time piece. I took it to a Citizens jeweler and they sized the bracelet at no charge. Fit is great. Love the lack of weight on my wrist. Nice readable lighted dial at night. Function hands glow at night. EZ to multiply and divide on the bezel. That's probably all I will learn with that function as I don't fly. I've had the watch about 10 days and no scratches anywhere and I have worn it constantly. The atomic clock in Fort Collins, Co. is a low reception reading in W.TX. where I live but it does work. I went outside and was still registering a low signal. Inside my home or outside made no difference in signal strength but as long as it worked (which it did) all is well. Automatic reception and time update checked ever night as programmed. The watch came fully charged from Citizens. Bottom line the watch has an incredible number of functions which is a plus and a minus. The good news is one can use what one finds practical and ignore those that are not used. All-in-all a beautiful functional watch with ALL the bells and whistles!
3 people found this helpful
on February 25, 2018
Love the watch. I bought my son one too but he lost his at the hospital so I gave him mine. I miss it. For the other pilots out there the outside bezel is similar to an E6B slide rule style device. I flew internationally for years and used it for rough calculations and estimates while crossing the North Atlantic. It was as good as the onboard computers and more fun to use. My son did send it back to the factory for a minor issue [I do not know what the issue was exactly] and it was returned promptly and has been working for over a year now. It's not as light as an Apple watch but the titanium version is close.
on January 11, 2018
Originally i loved the watch, and i still do, however, the white paint on the numbers on the outer rim are getting erased. This watch was $671+tax when i bought it and i definitely expect better wearing from an expensive watch like this. I bought it in around October 2016 so it's barely over a year old and the paint is already wearing off. The warranty of course does not cover it, so I'll just use it as is and say whatever. I won't be buying another citizen though, that's for sure.
review imagereview imagereview image
on March 24, 2015
Excellent watch, complex band. The watch is top drawer. If you like to fool with different options
you can do this with this watch. If you like to set and forget this watch can also be for you. The
band is a beautiful titanium band but in changing links there is a middle piece that holds the catch
in place. Once this link comes out you have H___ to pay trying to get it back in. I would let a jeweler
do it and hope they do it properly. Since the watch is titanium it doesn't weigh you down. The band is
also titanium. There are options upon options if you are into that thing. Citizen makes an outstanding
watch. I have older eyes and there is no problem telling the analog time. The digital read out requires
glasses for me.
on December 21, 2014
Got my first Citizen Skyhawk as a present from my wife for finishing my Flight Instructor certifcate. Great watch. After 11 years of setting the time once per month, the button finally stopped working reliably and I replaced that in 2003 with a Skyhawk Navigator (the predecessor to this model) which had the Eco-drive. Loved the fact that I didn't have to change batteries, but being a pilot and ham radio operator depending on good timekeeping for various functions, having to reset it every month got a little tiresome. Yeah, let's check out the newest model that automagically sets the time every day. It's been a great watch and the only reason I'm not wearing it every day (after 2 years) is because I'm a bleeding edge geek and replaced it with a Samsung Gear Live. Yes, the only nit I can think of is not being able to see a second time zone at the same time as seeing day/date. But I've had that limitation for 20 years and didn't really miss it compared to the other great things this watch did for me on a daily basis. It will stay around as a backup to my daily smart watch. Oh, and for all 3 watches over 20 years, all I did was need to have it cleaned maybe every five years to grease up the bezel (I'm a pilot, I use that function).
2 people found this helpful
on September 22, 2014
I've always been a watch guy and have a modest collection of rare, expensive and historic timepieces.
I have to say, this watch is excellent. I have several "Aviator" watches and this has become my new favorite.
All the features are relevant and the size is perfect. I opted for the Titanium version and I have to say, it is very lightweight and comfortable.
I have shown it to several friends and they are very surprised at how light it is.
I am totally satisfied with this watch and would recommend it to anyone.
A great watch !
4 people found this helpful
on September 5, 2016
I love this watch. It has the beautiful look and light weight of titanium. Solar power, atomic time, true chronograph features, a slide rule bezel, waterproof to 200 meters, dual time zones, calendar and many other features plus Made in Japan. This is the watch I have been waiting for and I finally bought it two days ago. Immediately, after the purchase, the price jumped 17%. I have several watches, but it is the most expensive and it shows quality and fine craftsmanship exceeding its cost. I am very pleased with the purchase so far. I wore it to bed and could still see the luminescent hands glowing in the early morning. I showed my wife how to use the slide rule. She thought it was so cool.
on June 17, 2015
This is one great watch. I have owned two, since my first was stolen out of my hotel room in Copenhagen, Denmark. It keeps perfect time, even in Europe. I don't use all the features, just the watch time and the day/date display. I finally sold my very, very expensive Rolex watch (which is the worst time piece for actually knowing what time it is) and replaced it with this watch. OK, this is my husband's watch and I still like my Rolex, as jewelry. I don't really care what time it is.
on September 22, 2015
Even though I was not a prime member at the time I bought this watch, shipping was very fast. The product itself was never in question. Citizen has been able to take an already excellent product and improved it by adding the radio controlled automatic time setting. The feature works like a charm and the time is always spot on. Like always, Titanium makes the big watch surprisingly light. I have been wearing Eco-Drive wrist watches now for 12 years and never had any problem with them.
2 people found this helpful