Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Shop Popular Services siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 182 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 495 reviews
on March 6, 2017
Very detailed formal and personal accounts of the horrors and human events of war. The book provided good examples of young men exercising good judgement and mercy at the same time. It made me proud to be an American. I am a Marine combat veteran of the Korean War and I will need a few days before I can sleep well again.
on February 28, 2016
As a history buff, this was my kind of book. Stephen Ambrose knows how to keep things interesting.
on February 24, 2014
This is probably a great book in hard copy. However, the translation to ebook is very poor.From one page to the next has no continuity and the reader senses that much of the story is lost. I'm very surprised and disappointed that Amazon sells this product as is.
on December 30, 2015
The campaigns that these troops were sent in , are very well detailed and expressed , as well as the enemy
on May 12, 2013
This review is for a Kindle edition purchased in 2012 (item B0062BVHBC). The maps are not readable on the computer, or on any of the Kindle devices (Kindle Fire, Kindle 2nd Generation, Nexus 7). Amazon said they would update my copies, however, it is the same item. Are the maps better in the newer item (B00BEHGSPY)??
on February 4, 2014
Mr. Ambrose took a very complicated, complex, compelling part of world history and conveyed it in easy to follow timeline, while still providing both the tactical and strategic overview of the war as we were lead through a tremendous accounting of many firefights within portions of countless battles. This is, in of itself, a significant achievement considering the breadth and depth involved in the scope of the war. The real and, hopefully, everlasting impact of his book involves providing non- soldiers a glimpse into what the soldiers endured, felt and lost while freeing a large portion of Europe. And to a lesser extent what impacts the civilians in Europe felt.

The US POPULATION has not personally witnessed nor felt the impacts of war since the Civil War. This book provides as real a picture into horror of war on a personal level without being over dramatic or overly gory. The simple, straightforward, story telling style provides all the power of what is important.

Read this book more than once. Reread it in five years. Let us never forget what war is, does, and destroys. Let us never forget the supreme sacrifice war requires. Let us not forget the concept of duty as it relates to war: nothing in civilian life compares. Let us always remember and cherish the lasting freedom provided by the prior generation.

This is, in my opinion, what the book achieves. I think it is what veterans want us to remember.
on June 15, 2014
I read this on my kindle. It is an excellent book, hard to put down. However, I was very surprised to see that the book was done only 70% into the file. I continued and found the real gold - lots of pictures and the best epilog I have ever read. It is worth getting this just to read the epilog.
on January 7, 2014
I purchased this book for my father who was in World War ll, he is 89 years old. He is now reading this book and is enjoying it immensely. He says I could not have purchased a better one. He lived the life of these men, he knows all about it. He is in the army and has 3 purple hearts to prove his bravery.
This is a book he would recommend to any age to read and enjoy the experience with him
on February 22, 2017
Superb recounting of that era in which I played a part (ASTP; then to the infantry!) Ambrose covered it exactly. Recommend, although the paperback eliminated sections of the original hardback version- obviously to save expenses but thereby eliminated important information.
on March 1, 2013
Citizen Soldiers has a wealth of eye witness info about the battles in Europe from D-Day to the surrender of Germany. And when looking at life basically through a straw, the view is good. The problem with this attempt is that Ambrose has a thesis, which I will quote from a caption of one of the pictures, and which summarizes his thesis: "But in the end , what beat the Wehrmacht was not so much equipment as men. The GIs had proven themselves; here was the fruit of their victory.

Well yes, the GI was a great instrunent in WWII. But Ambrose likes to attribute all of WWII Europe from D-Day to the fall of Berlin to US GIs, well, pardon me, but there was another story here, and it's not so feel good. Montgomery's idiotic adventure to glorify himself with Operation Market Garden, which ended in disaster. Ambrose devotes a few pages to an epic disaster that was eventually made into an epic film (A Bridge Too Far--also the book by Cornelius Rryan). In sum, Ambrose, of the Eisenhauer Center, has a definite ideological bent, namely making US look good and wonderful and everything look like they deserved to be taken. His intense focus on the grunts is good and something that needs to be reiterated about every war so as to remind the rest of us that war is hell. Still, this book is a piece of feel-good propaganda so narrow in its focus that we can't get out of the trenches between Normandy and the surrender of May 1945.