Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on January 21, 2014
I received this watch for Christmas from my hubby. It is very light-weight compared to my fossil, but durable. It is a pretty gray, with a tint of blue if you stare at it long enough, almost a platinum. I've had numerous compliments on it & I will be wearing this watch for a very long time! It is simple - but showy, light - but heavy duty, keeps great time and is waterproof. And the best part is…NO BATTERIES…EVER!!!! I highly recommend this watch…you will not be disappointed. I LOVE it!
4 helpful votes
on January 25, 2015
This watch is beautiful but the links do not have "normal range of motion", by that I mean they barely bend, only around ~ 20 degrees at each link. So for a person like me with small wrists, it doesn't form to my wrist. Also, I've had issues with taking links out (again, because I have small wrists, I needed to remove every one possible.). For some reason the holes on some of the links don't line up and so the pin can't be driven back through. So basically this watch is impossible for me to wear but I don't think I can return it since I've removed links. I'll need to send it in to get serviced by Citizen and hopefully they wont charge me a fortune.
on August 19, 2009
Update:
I've had this watch for about 5 years now and I'm still completely satisfied. I wear it every single day, including when I'm working, camping, hiking, moving (as a college student who rents, I do this a lot), going out, or anything else. The band has gathered some scuffs, but you can only see them if you're really examining the watch. From even just half an arms-length away, it still looks perfect.
The face has also gathered a few scratches, but they're small and difficult to see. They're impossible to see unless you're actually looking for them and you hold the face at just the right angle. For just glancing at the watch, I don't even notice that they're there.

I was somewhat worried about the solar charging of the watch, considering that it's long-sleeve weather for over 6 months of the year where I live, and my skin is very sensitive to sunlight so I often wear long sleeves even when it's sunny. This has not appeared to cause any problem though. I don't think you would have to worry about keeping a charge unless you store the watch in the dark for long periods of time. Even minimal exposure to light and sun seems to be sufficient.

The watch has also remained very accurate. I once ignored daylight savings time and didn't adjust the watch for over a year and it was only off by a matter of a few seconds and that may have just been me being sloppy when I adjusted it the first time.

I usually remove the watch when I go swimming or when I shower, but I do occasionally forget and leave it on. I've also spent a lot of time in the rain, spent my first summer with it working in river rafting, and I teach snowboarding in the winter where I frequently check the time and expose it to snow and/or wet gloves. Considering that it still works and maintains time accuracy, this exposure to water has not seemed to have effected it's performance. I imagine I could probably keep it on for showers and swimming too if I wanted.

I didn't think I'd care about the glow-in-the-dark hands, but this feature has actually been extremely useful. I've been able to check the time when I wake up late at night/early in the morning in complete darkness. They certainly don't glow very brightly after being in the dark for 5+ hours, but they do glow and if you have good eyes, its just enough to be able to read the time.

The only maintenance I've had to do was to get a few links of the band removed when I first got it (it was far too large originally, but a jeweler removed the links for free.) and occasionally a bit of grime builds up between the links. To remove this grime, I just scraped it out with a toothpick and it then looked as good as new. I've probably done this once ever 5 months or so and even then, it's mostly because I'm bored and happen to be examining my watch, more than I'm starting to notice the grime build-up.

Over all, I still absolutely love this watch. It still feels great on my wrist (no pinching, rubbing, or hair-pulling) and seems like it's well-constructed and high quality. And while it's not exactly dressy, I think it's subtle enough and elegant enough that you shouldn't have to feel obligated to remove it when you dress up for formal occasions.

Original:

I haven't had it for any great deal of time, but I love it so far. I kind of abuse watches so I was a little hesitant about getting anything other than a typical sport watch, but I really wanted something that looked nicer than that. This seems to be just perfect. It's not hideous or too sporty, but it seems to hold up great. It's pretty light weight (but not cheap or insubstantial feeling) and is easy to put on and remove. The whole thing looks and feels sturdy and there's nothing that seems cheap or low-quality about it (unlike a lot of other watches I was looking at in the same price range.) Both the face and band seem like they're probably at least fairly scratch resistant (no scratches so far) and I really like the brushed stainless steel look, personally.
14 helpful votes
15 helpful votes
on March 27, 2013
This watch is exactly what i wanted, looks dressy enough for special occasions or everyday use (which is what i ordered it for) 1st - this is my second eco drive watch, my other is a very dressy watch with black face and diamonds ...i have had the first watch for over a year now, charged it put it in the box and only out for special occasions, keeps perfect time. This watch has a silver face and is very easy to read the time, which by the way was easy to set up, along with the day & date. This watch lays flat and I haven't had any problems with getting the watch caught on anything, I have bumped the face numerous times, ( on metal parts of patient wheelchairs) and fortunately its very durable and has not scratched. I have had this particular model for over a month now and it keeps perfect time, if your second hand skips around in 2 second intervals this is a sign you should charge in daylight. I highly recommend this watch- it's perfect, had a few links taken out ($10) and fit is just right.Great price on Amazon! Love the Jewelry guarantee, would and have recommended this watch!
on October 25, 2013
My last watch lasted 7 years and I only paid $70. But the biggest hassle was having to get the battery changed every year for $10 by a professional. This watch is amazing. Solar powered and water resistant. It's a great classy watch. It's also extremely durable. Working with kids it gets smashed and I get really dirty. I love being able to wash it off and moving on. I also love having the day and date feature. I prefer it over taking out my phone, especially in front of students and parents.

The watch is a decent price and I hope it lasts as long as the last one.
on October 18, 2013
This is a gorgeous watch that I ordered because of the Eco-Drive feature, water resistance, bracelet-style band, and the sleek and attractive look of the watch. Owned for a month and so far, Eco-Drive works as promised and the watch is perfectly water resistant (I wear it working out and in the shower everyday and no trace of fog inside the face). I did have to remove a few links to fit my small wrist, which proved to be a bit of a challenge. The local jeweler was able to address the issue and said that one of the holes in the link that we needed to reattach to had a bit of an anomaly in terms of shape, so he had to persuade it a bit. Really though, a great watch and I highly recommend it! Lots of compliments on looks and it is extremely functional!
on March 14, 2015
Despite following the instructions exactly, the day of the week wouldn't change at midnight (although the date would)-- it wouldn't change until sometime later in the morning. So even though the other features of the watch worked, it's kind of confusing to wake up in the morning and have it still say that it is the previous day of the week. When I would try to readjust it, the day of the week would just get stuck. Returned it. On the plus side, it was a nice looking watch, solar, water resistant, has seconds hands, has the date and (supposedly) day of the week, the face was small enough not to look awkward on my smallish wrist, and I liked that the watch face was silver. If it had adjusted properly and changed at midnight, I definitely would have kept it. My watch search continues...
on May 21, 2013
This watch was purchased for my wife. About 8 years ago, I bought her a Fossil watch simply because they offered a watch with a green face and she really wanted one. However, while the watch seemed to work just fine, it ate batteries. I purchased a lifetime replacement battery from a local jeweler and got my moneys worth. But, the jeweler claimed the watch "stopped working" the last time they replaced the battery.

I decided to give a Citizen Eco-Drive a try because it doesn't need batteries. The watch arrived in a very nice package and seemed more expensive than the $150 I paid for it. I presented it to my wife and she loved it. The only thing I didn't care for one the size of the watch face/bezel. It is smaller than the pictures depict. It didn't seem to bother my wife though.

I now have to get the bracelet sized for her because with all the links intact, it is very loose on her wrist. Nice quality watch, very nice looking and so far, no problems with the functioning of it.

I would recommend this watch to anyone considering it.
on October 8, 2012
At first I was a little suspicious of Citizen's "Eco drive" light-powered watches, because I have been disappointed with earlier "solar-powered" watches: failure to stay charged in normal use, and, after too short a time, just plain failure to operate at all. And their appearance was compromised by ugly little black solar chips right on the watch face. Citizen has merged several new technologies (amorphous silicon photocells, low low low power semiconductor chips, and lithium titanate batteries) to produce a watch that you just put on your wrist and wear - forever. The battery never needs to be changed! If you take the watch off and put it away (to wear some other watch, say, like your wonderful but technologically obsolete Rolex), it will run for months in the dark and will still be keeping good time when you put it back on. In other words, a watch with no worries.The solar cell is UNDER the watch face, so it doesn't show, so the watch can be as good-looking as any other. I have not had a chance to confirm the time-keeping accuracy of the watch, or Citizen's longevity claims, but based on the technologies Citizen is using I expect no problems. Citizen has been gradually refining its Eco drive technologies for more than 15 years. I have bought a couple of these watches and I'm very happy with them.
on June 19, 2014
After years of Timex watches, I splurged and got this Citizen watch. I was drawn by the fact that it didn't need batteries and had the look I wanted - not too frilly, not too sporty. I've had it for about a year now, and despite knocking it around quite a bit, the metal is barely scuffed and the crystal isn't damaged at all. The solar cells are more than adequate for keeping the watch running, and it tends to gain, rather than lose, time.

My only complaint is the difficulty in setting the day/date. The stem has to come out pretty far and be wound just so; consequently, I've seldom had the correct day/date on the watch face, especially since it has to be corrected each month. I just ignore it.