Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 38 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 57 reviews
on October 14, 2016
The author kept his word in that his history of Chicago would be different from most other histories. His theme was economic-based. He focused on the geography, explaining the initial situation of how Chicago started in the location that it did. Then how the people I've came the obstacles of the location to build the city. Like many cities, there was no overarching plan. The city had problems and plenty of them. But then came the Great Fire, which provided a second chance to make it a better place. This set the stage for the high-rise Chicago we know today. Then in 1893 came the White City showing the world what Chicago had become after the fire and what it could become in the future. A very interesting history that has led me to other books about Chicago. I highly recommend this book.
on August 31, 2015
Donald Miller wrote a masterpiece that belongs in every library. I loved it so much that I read it twice and you can believe it will remain in my personal library as both an entertainment and reference source. What can I say about Miller other than WOW!

City of the Century is a wonderfully written history of the development and trials and tribulations of nineteenth century Chicago. The good - the bad - and the ugly. The story is captivating and I found it hard to put it down. Note: after my 1st read, I bought copies for my brothers and grandchildren and they too love this book.

I submit that it should be a MUST read for anyone with an interest is U.S. history since it is a story about nineteenth century Chicago as told through individual stories of Chicago business leaders, politicians and Chicago citizens.

You will enjoy how the story unfolds and the influence that Chicago and it's people had as the U.S. marched westward taking along the Midwest ideals, values, and attitudes.

I can only way that I was NOT sorry that I bought Miller's book. You won't be sorry either!
on May 20, 2016
For a native Chicagoan who knows all these places and streets this is a great book. It is not a travel guide. It is history. I grew up in Indiana and knew some of Chicago's wild past, but this book really gives it perspective. From a swamp that even the Indians didn't want anything to do with to the Columbian Expo of 1893, this book is a romp.

Excellent book. Well worth the read.

For a great companion piece read "Devil in the White City" by Larsen. That one will have you gasping to turn to the next page.
on December 11, 2016
Grab my hand and step onto this river tug, this workhorse that takes you through Chicago's history. This is perhaps one of the best traditional histories I've ever read. The elegant way in which we are taken from the founding of Chicago to the Pullman Strike is just delightful I kept wondering how he'd cover this or that but he slides into new topics like smooth sherbet. As a Chicago land native I learned a tremendous amount about my homeland and reinforced that you can't understand the history of America without Chicago.
on November 5, 2014
A very detailed history of Chicago up to the beginning of the 20th century. The author covers every part of the growth of the city, its various movers and shakers, its low life, sleaze bags and upper crust wealthy citizens. In some respects the detail is more then is necessary to get the proper perspective of the events and people who shaped them but the reader can't complain that the subject was not thoroughly covered. I recommend the book to all Chicago residents who call the second city home and are interested in the city's development.
on July 15, 2017
This is simply an excellent history of Chicago, from the first settlement through the rebuilding after the great fire. This book is so good that I gave it to a Chicago friend as a Christmas gift. In fact, it's so excellent that the Chicago Architectural Foundation has their docents read it and use the information on their tours! I know this after taking a tour; the docent mentioned much of the information contained in the book. I asked her afterward if she was familiar with the book, and she told me that it's a significant part of their study materials.
on January 11, 2013
This book put meat on the skeleton history I already had of Chicago, but it would be just as fascinating for someone with only cursory familiarity of the city as well. The characters came alive, and just about every lingering question I had has been answered, all while providing an excellent historical perspective and understanding of the growth of this urban place. All history has to be sliced one way or another, and this really told the story of the city thoroughly and gave it a theme and character, but I would like to have the anecdotes about the colorful figures of this time and place compiled more into their individual stories rather than scattered about the themes of the story of the city. Probably can't have it both ways though, and I found this book to be an excellent read as it stands. Will there be a follow up on modern Chicago? Hope so.
on April 19, 2014
What a great book! This book is super dense, but in the best way possible. You get so much rich, interesting info. Plus it is so well organized with a great flow through time and from topic to topic. Most importantly the author is constantly weaving stories which keeps the book very interesting throughout; never a dull moment. I just was asked to read this book as a first step to becoming a Chicago tour guide, so that's gotta tell you something.
on August 4, 2014
There's somewhat of a mystic about Chicago. Some people love it, others hate it. Not having been there for a couple of decades I have no idea of what it is like now. Considering it from a historical perspective, it is important to America. Always thought to be the heartland of America and by some the midway point between east and west. The book is a good read for those who have interest in the subject.
on June 19, 2016
Very comprehensive but too detailed. Difficult to keep up with all of the numerous characters.