Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,792 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,208 reviews
on March 14, 2015
This is the last book I had to read for my read-a-thon I did this week. I tried to get through as much of it as I could and even though I didn't get it done during it, I did finish it the next morning after it ended. I am flying through this series because I can't stop even if I tried. I spend my days that I can't read at the time thinking about it.

I like where the story picks up. It does in a way of joy and then Jace starts to pull back and we know why, but no one else does. So most of the rest of the book is trying to find out when Jace is going to finally let it all out.

The book definitely takes a turn at the end. You have a feeling you kind of know why things are happening, but in the end it definitely wasn't what I thought. There is some parts that are connected to it, but not in ways I had imagined.

Clare leaves it off in a way that you pretty much HAVE to pick up the next book. I need to know what happens and I already know after the 5th book I am going to be really upset having to wait for the final book to come out in 2014. I might even re-read the series before it comes out just so I can jump right into the last one.

I love how the characters continue to become a part of you and grow not only has an individual but as a group of not only friends but becoming a family as well. I don't want to say much more than that without ruining the book for you all.

It wasn't my favorite out of the series, I definitely enjoyed it and I still give it 5 stars, but I think book 3 is still my favorite. I still felt like the series could have ended there and I loved the happy ending that it gave in more ways than one. I am still hoping for that happy ending with the end of the series.

This book definitely leaves you with a feeling of dread of what is going to happen at the end of it. I pretty much just set the book down and stared up and wanted to yell no, but knew I would scare my dog if I did, so I did the next best thing. I got up, went to my bookshelf, grabbed book 5, then walked in here to write this for you all :)

I know this isn't the best review, I am horrible at writing reviews on series and trying not to give spoilers for you all. I just hope you see my sincerity that I loved this book and I love the series. So many said it wasn't good after the 3rd book and that had me scared, but for me I still love the series, and I hope that remains the case after book 5 and 6.
on March 9, 2016
The Shadowhunters are Back

City of Fallen Angels marks the first book in The Mortal Instruments Part 2. It's hard for me to think of this as a continuation of the first three books - it definitely feels like the beginning of another trilogy. I chose to listen to this book instead of read it (I have recently discovered audiobooks at my library). I think I made the right choice. This book was a bit slow at first and I'd have likely put it down to pick up something else since I'm still coming out of an epic reading slump.

Pros

POV - I loved that the stories in this book were told from two points of view (both third person): Simon and Clary. I enjoyed being able to follow their independent stories, both of which were fulfilling. The POVs jumped back and forth comfortably with enough attention paid to one before moving to the other. I particularly enjoyed the way this book was read. Sections where Simon was the main protagonist was narrated by a male and sections where Clary was the main protagonist was narrated by a female. Then there were random sections where neither of them were the main focus, and I think the narrators just flipped a coin.

Story - I really enjoyed the story, even though the beginning of the book was a little slow. The last book ended and tied up the loose ends of the previous 3 books, so I was curious about where it was going to go with this one. It felt like the beginning of a 2nd spin off series (Mortal Instruments: Back in New York!) which didn't bother me at all. There were two main plots to this story: Simon's vampire escapades and Clary's shadowhunter escapades. Both of these story archs were equally engaging, but I think Simon's storyline was my favorite. I hope the next two books follow a similar format.

Characters - Let me just start with this: Simon was badass. My favorite parts of the book were his chapters. He felt like the most real character in the book. I really enjoyed watching him grow up and transition into a main character in his own right. My other favorite character was Isabelle. She's strong, she knows who she is, and she can be both a warrior and a girl. If I were a character in this book, it would want to be Izzy. I also enjoyed getting a glimpse into the world of the werewolves!

Cons

Romance - For the most part, I found the romances in this book to be extremely irritating. It definitely cost my rating of the book a full star. It doesn't help that I'm a grown adult and can't relate to what it feels like to be a teenager in love, but I think I'd still have be irritated by it if I did. First, if you've ever read any of my reviews before you'd know that I hate love triangles (even if they serve a purpose in the story). Second, the main romance was just groan worthy. There were a lot of "I love you but I can't be with you and I won't tell you why so I'm going to childishly avoid you" moments, and a few "I love you so let's do it right here in public because we have no shame" moments - both of which left me feeling angry and grateful that I'm not a teenager anymore.

Characters - I know I had characters as one of my pros, but as much as I loved some characters, I was equally disgusted by other. I have to say the weakest characters in this story were Alec and Jace. Both of them showed incredible immaturity. Alec reminded me of every jealous exboyfriend I'd ever had. I'm surprised his significant other let him get away with treating him like that - I'd have dumped him. Besides, he didn't really need to be in this book anyway. He didn't do anything except whine about not being the only person his significant other ever loved. Jace spent almost the entire book being melodramatic - clearly fishing for comfort and attention. Both of these characters exhibited personality traits that I can't stand.

Overall

I was back and forth with ratings for this book. I think that if I would have been reading it in text, I might have put it down and picked something else up. This book took a little while to get where it was going, but once it got there it flew. I can honestly say that I understand why these books are so popular. I think that if I was reading them with younger eyes, I'd be more enthralled. I'm definitely going to continue with this series, but probably solely in audiobook.
on June 6, 2014
Just when it looks like Clary may finally have a chance with her guy... well, lets just say all's not well in paradise.

That darn past just keeps coming back to haunt them, just won't die. But then, when you're dealing with evil incarnate... and it's your job to fight them... or at least job-in-training... kind of hard to escape it.

And, Clary's one wish from the previous book has unexpected side effects because... of course at 16 they don't know the full range of consequences, what door they've opened and what they they've undone. And of course, evil steps in to take unfair advantage of that natural rule of give and taken, balance.

Jace can hardly stand to be near her and there's just something off aobut him... go figure.. he's had a life/death experience. Or so it seems to Clary. Everything in him calls to her, draws him to her, the yearning to just be with her hurts, but he's determined to protect her from him. After the things they've seen and been through, who can blame him for being afraid his nightmares (which literally make him physically ill) will come true — he'll kill or seriously hurt Clary.

Could these two be any more star crossed?

And, you get more of Simon. Bless his undead heart, he just can't catch a break. Someone even finds a way around his curse, the mark of Cain. Of course they did. And, the two girls he's been dating — although no one has said exclusively — both assume he's taking them to Clary's mom's wedding to Luke. Then they find out about the other and are ticked off; never a good idea to date girls who know each other and are friends. And, his mom found his closet stash of food and calls him a monster... so he has to glamour her...for as long as it can last. The new guy in the band offers to let him crash at his apartment. Even that's off. Turns out Kyle is a werewolf guardian who helps young darkworlders just turned or left alone to adjust. Then, he also turns out to be Jordan Kyle, the guy who hit and turned Maia, the wolf girl he was dating. Oh, and there's someone sending people in gray track suits to try to kill him. The mark takes care of that but still... who's he ever antagonized?

Alec gets some away time with Magnus abroad, until he's summoned back to help with Clary and the shadowhunters — the usual life-death peril that's the norm for Jace and Clary. Then he finds out that the old vamp that's trying to recruit Simon is one of Magnus' former partners... and he's had a lot in his considerable years .... and all kinds... He doesn't really have a type it seems. They have a spat at the engagement party.

Jace and Clary seek the help of the Silent Brothers to cure him of his dreams, after he does draw blood when things get close. Yeah, when she got her wish, all of the rituals and precautions taken at birth were lost, leaving him open to outside influence. Yep, the oldest she demon around, what some might call the mother of 'em all, is messing with him. See, she considers the not Sebastian Jonathan her son, even if biologically he belongs to Jocelyn and Valentine, who the angel killed. After all, it was her demon blood that Valentine injected him with to make him the raving homicidal soldier he was. So, when Clary got Jace back, she grabbed Sebastian/Johnathan, who Jace had just felled with a mortal wound, she snatched him up and preserved him, just waiting for a chance to get hte right individuals together to bring her "son" back.

And, turns out the mother of dead demon babies has been busy... failing... with a floor of dead.

Jace is tricked in his sleep into letting the demon queen mark him. He flees the Silent Brothers and tracks Clary down at her mom's engagement part, pulls her close and knocks her out. She wakes up with him holding her hostage before queen demon. Mean while, Simon is approached at Joycelyn and Luke's party, and convinced to leave to meet the person who's sent the people after him, to protect those he cares about. So he gives in and goes.

Jace is being used to hold Clary as leverage so Simon will voluntarily bite Sebastian, then is supposed to give him his blood. Simon is convinced when despite Clary's plea for him not to regardless and attempt to convince that Jace won't hurt her fails. He pricks her neck with the knife he holds there. So Simon bites the freak and becomes violently ill, falling to the floor.

When Izzy, Alec, Jordan --who is supposed to be guarding Simon -- and Maia realize Simon is missing, and assume Jace and Clary are being together, they go looking for Simon.

And, in the end, good triumphs over the demon woman, but... as is always the case, especially with Clare's books, don't count big bad out just yet. He reaches out to Jace and... well you're left with Jace missing and Clary having to account for her wish and the consequences thereafter. Simon's gonna go home and try to work on mom.
on August 12, 2013
City of Fallen Angels is kind of like City of Ashes in a sense that this book prepares you for another epic battle/moment. After the great battle in City of Glass, things start to ease back to normal, at least for a while. But real fans of the TMI series know that the waves won't be calm for long.

I really enjoyed City of Fallen Angels, it focuses a lot on Simon which I liked. I wasn't fond of Simon in the first two books, I found him annoying and a bit unreasonable-making Clary feel bad for feelings she doesn't have, ect. However, he really started to grow on me and I like that we get to narrow in on his story in this book. Simon is a minor character that has an interesting back story, and I feel as if he is the most human of the bunch and in a sense, the most relatable.

With that said, just because this book is prepping us for a bigger battle yet to come, I still feel as if it is still action packed and fun to read. We get a lot of lives being interwoven together, and Cassandra Clare really takes her readers into a very dark place. Drilling us into the mindset of these characters to reveal their darkest secrets, ones that they cannot even admit to one another.

This book is definitely the darkest one so far in my opinion. Some of the events that happened are pretty grotesque, and it definitely gave me the spooks-not something you would want to read before bed.

I cannot wait to read City of Lost Souls! The new characters introduced in this book are excellent, and I cannot wait to learn more about them and see what they have to offer to the series. It's just crazy how after everything that happened in the last book, you would think that everything would be all dandy for a while but no...Cassandra C. doesn't do pleasant-so be prepared to be thrust back into this marvelous, shadowhunter world! Trust me, you won't want to leave it
on June 29, 2014
I am torn by this book and by the whole series. Having seen City of Bones in the theatre before reading the book I quite enjoyed it. Had I read the book first I might have felt differently since the film and book diverge far too much for my taste. And Miss Claire’s writing is not great, though the story line is mildly compelling (a seeming retelling of Harry Potter…it appears I am not alone in this suspicion). Though I am not a fan of Lily Collins, I felt Jamie Campbell Bower and the remainder of the main cast were perfect for their roles and it was easy for me to imagine them in character throughout as I read the whole series. I just finished and I feel a bit disoriented from jumping back into the real world. But if I do not hear the phrases “lowering sky” and “blood and ichor” again, I shall be quite happy.
I did not think this book was a good wrap-up for the story that had some promise. It seemed to be a just a re-telling of the first two battles with changes of venue. I was however, very happy that, with a few exceptions, justice was served throughout. But there were subplots that were artlessly dispatched without enough flesh (Maureen, Raphael, Camille for instance). As well, there was our introduction to a whole new set of characters that I found boring and inconsequential and segue to yet another plethora of sale-able storylines for the author. The book would have been better without the superfluous sub-plots. I don’t think I’ve ever seen so much mileage derived from a storyline that may have been borrowed in the first place.
All in all, this is not a bad series but this last book is nowhere near as good as the first and I am not inspired to read any others of her books. I just don’t enjoy her writing style…it’s too formulaic, awkward and unpolished.
on June 17, 2014
Simon being front and center in this book is wonderful.It adds such depth to his character and you get to see him a lot throw his own eyes.Usually you just see him throw Clary's.I have always wanted to see more of Simon trying to adjust to being a vampire and learning to live with the Mark of Cain.In this book you see that and I feel for him in his struggle and just want to give him a big hug.

Clary and Jace are finally together and it's wonderful to see them all couple-ly.Simon is having a huge dating problem which I find both funny and sad.Luke and Jocelyn are planning there wedding.Plus Shadowhunters are showing up dead in different downworlder territories.Who is killing them and why?Plus Jace is acting a little weird and someone is trying to kill or kidnap Simon.Also a new member has joined Simon's band named Kyle.Who is he and why does he want to join Simon's band?Lots of new questions and surprises will keep you reading.

I loved that some of the characters from the Infernal Devices showed up.Cassandra Clare is wonderful at connecting her series together without it feeling forced or giving away what happens in the other books.

Now for why I gave it 4 stars and not 5 stars.This is my least favorite book in the series and of her's period.It just doesn't have the feel or wit of the first three and even book 5.This book has a very depressing and sad feel to it.I know it's after the war and everyone is dealing with the revelations of the last book but I love Cassandra Clare's humor and it is seemed very lacking in this book.All the characters seem to be unhappy or fighting with each other or both.It's not that I didn't really like it but it's just not up to the standards of her other books.

4 out of 5

Keeper:Yes

this review can be found on my blog thereadingrebel.wordpress.com
on May 26, 2013
Still a good read for those who love this world 3.5 stars.

"You're the first Shadowhunter I've ever met."
"That's too bad," said Jace, "since all the others you
meet from now on will be a terrible letdown."

Jace's confidence is still as staggering as ever. We are thrust back into the life of the conclave a few months after the Mortal War. Clary is finally getting a the Shadowhunter training she needs. Alex and Magnus are off traveling the world together and Simon is trying to figure out how to tell Isabel and Mia he is dating them both at the same time. Life is going along well until the bodies of shadowhunters start being dumped around the city.

Some of the things that made this not as great as some of the other books is that all of our favorite characters seem to be having some relationship issues. Jace is having nightmares about Clary and is trying to avoid her until he figures them out. Upside to that is the bromance between him and Simon. Although we miss the banter and magic that he has with Clary there still are comical moments with Simon. Alec is trying to come to terms that Magnus is immortal and has had quite a scandalous past well Camille Belcourt shows up. Isabel is so strong and fragile all at the same time but she gets to have some great one liners and seems to always walk in on Clary and Jace at the least appropriate time. We even get a few new characters that will probably be important down the line.

There is a little more focus on the relationships in this book than in the previous action filled adventures. But, it did really pick up at the end when the true villain is revealed. That is the part of the story I enjoyed the most it was a good build up to the reveal.

Just a few other side notes. I read all of TID before reading this and I was so happy when people and objects from the past showed up in the story. They were peppered throughout and I was like oh....there is Camille comparing the way Alec looks to Will, and oh oh oh Brother Zachariah I remember that guy.

This is still a good read for those of us who love the Shadowhunter world (raises hand) but not my favorite in the series thus far. The ending set up nicely for the next book though and left us with quite the cliff hanger.
on April 18, 2014
City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare is the fourth in The Mortal Instruments series of books. The Mortal Instruments is a series of six books, of which five have been already published and divides into two trilogies. City of Fallen Angels kicks off the second half with new threats and new challenges for our protagonists. We start off in a good place – things have been quiet and settled since the events of City of Glass. Clary’s main preoccupation is preparing for her mother’s wedding to long time love Luke and enjoying her relationship with Jace. Naturally, that peace doesn’t last for too long…

It has been some time since I finished the first half of The Mortal Instruments, but Clare’s writing style and wonderful characters immediately drew me back into the world of Shadowhunters, demons, vampires and warlocks. I adore this world and loved reading more of it – I don’t know why it took me so long to get back to it!

What I liked

The worldbuilding – Clare clearly has an excellent grasp of her world. Everything fits together and holds well to its own internal logic.

The characters. While I still retain a slight preference for the characters in Clare’s other series, The Infernal Devices, I still love reading about Clary, Jace, Simon and the Lightwoods. I particularly enjoyed Simon’s journey in this book and his relationships with Maia and Isabelle. Isabelle’s journey, too became more interesting to me in this book.

What I didn’t like

The pacing. I’ve noted slow pacing as an issue for me in several of Clare’s books, and unfortunately City of Fallen Angels is no exception. As I mentioned, it starts off a whole new arc for our characters, and takes a long time to really get moving.

The narration. I really didn’t enjoy the narration for this book at all – I personally found it rather flat. You may of course feel differently.
on June 5, 2014
I am not, traditionally, a fan of teen supernatural romances. I find in general they are poorly written, the characters are never fully developed, the charactes don't act like normal people should, and the plot holes detract from the overall story. For the best example of what I'm talking about please see: Twilight.

However, I gave Mortal Instruments a shot at the suggestion of my sister. The fourth installment of the series, takes place immediately following the Mortal War. The main characters have returned to New York City and are attempting to return to a sense of normalcy. This is interrupted by disturbing dreams Jace keeps having in which he kills Clary and as a result he begins to distance himself from her.

This book was for me one of the weaker of the series. While the other 3 books had far more complicated storylines, this installment really focused in on one main conflict which was not terribly interesting. Jace is having nightmares and the reason is that being brought back from the dead made him more vulnerable to demon influence. The demon affecting him wants to bring back Sebastian and a showdown ensues. Bad dreams caused by a demon? Meh...I've come to expect better from Cassandra Clare.

Additionally, the dialogue suffered a bit in this book. While a lot of the romantic dialogue has always been cheesy in these books, it was also sweet - the kind of stuff two teenagers in love would say to each other. But it kind of got to an over the top point in this particular book. I hope she tones it down a little bit in City of Lost Souls.

Overall, enjoyable and worth the read.
on May 7, 2013
I'm not usually the type that reads reviews on a book before I purchase it which seems strange since I review books. I like to form my own opinions about a book. Since I'm a writer myself, I know how sometimes a bad review for one person may be an awesome review for another. I do admit to perusing the reviews for this one mainly out of pure curiosity. The third book in this series was so awesome to me and had such an amazing ending that I couldn't imagine where else this series could go. Apparently there were several people with this same assumption. A lot of people didn't entirely give it the best review but I am a fan of the series so there wasn't much that could stop me from buying the fourth and giving it a fair shake.

My opinion: I thought it was tastefully done. Yes, you can't help but feel sorry for Simon who, bless his heart (the southern coming out in me), just can't get a fair shake. How Simon survives with so many awful things constantly happening to him is beyond me. Most people would have been past suicidal after the turn of events he's faced with but he handles it like a champ. Perfect, no, but a champ nonetheless.

Yes, you can't help but get frustrated with Clary and Jace's relationship as they fall apart due to Jace's unusual behavior but you understand where his behavior is coming from near the end of the story. I have to admit, I'm not entirely happy with the ending of this fourth book as I'd finally just like to see Jace get a fair shake too instead of constantly being in a state of depression, and I'd like to see him in a place where he is finally in control of his own destiny. I trust Cassandra Clare to make that happen as she is a very creative writer and I'm excited to see what happens next. Let's just hope poor Simon and Jace finally see some happy endings come their way.

And finally, I'd love to see Clary step up and be the awesome hero I know her to be instead of weak and constantly in need of saving. I love the story where the woman is well protected and saved by the hot and strong male lead but I get the feeling that there is something special about Clary we have yet to see.

Awesome job to Cassandra Clare. Well written as always.