Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Echo $129.99 All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis B06ZY5XM7W Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 104 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 138 reviews
on March 10, 2016
I debated whether or not to get this book because since I was a teenager I have read probably 25-30 books, maybe more, on the subject. I'm now 72, so I've read a lot. I wondered if I would find it a tedious rehash of what I already had read about. I was wrong and pleasantly surprised. This book is spectacular because it puts the Civil War into somewhat of a chronological narrative while inserting anecdotes and descriptions of events by participants that I've never read before, and nothing gets bogged down in too much detail. I'm not a literary critic, obviously, and most other reviews here are better than mine, but if you like to read about the Civil War but think you know it all, read this book because you will love it!
on March 21, 2015
KINDLE EDITION. Often times the Kindle edition of books like this one fail to live up to the print edition of that book. This one is a SUCCESS!, I'm glad to say. Active maps of each day of the Gettysburg battles. Hours of video from the acclaimed PBS series, interviews with historians like Shelby Foote, clear sharp photographs and an outstanding narrative that you would expect. And you can't beat the value. The PBS series is widely available for free from Amazon Prime and other streaming services.
Kudos to the publisher for putting out an outstanding product.
on August 28, 2015
Great pickup for a fan of this revolutionary Civil War documentary or just the Civil War in general. It's an easy read, and follows the episodes verbatim. I love having the text, so I can use specific information or quotes for my classes that I teach which includes a course on the Civil War. The seller sent it immediately, and it was in GREAT condition for "very good". LOVE IT!!!
on January 26, 2016
I saw this mini-series decades ago and anguished at the photos of death and destruction. I wanted to possess the book. However, at that time, I was a pauper graduate student, just glad to make tuition, eat, purchase books, and pay the rent.

Now, I get the book I wanted so long ago to add to my list of Ward and Burns books to cherish on their shelf of my tall bookcase. I still cry as I read the numbers of young lives lost, limbs lost, horrific diseases, and man's cruelty toward others.

As civilizations go, the USA is a newbie, a proud one, comprised of immigrants and natives, a land of opportunity, greed, trust, harm, hurt, humanity, justice. and injustice. What is at America's core?
on April 6, 2017
Probably the best TV documentary ever.
on April 5, 2017
AS L!STED-GREAT CW P!C'S. A+++++
on October 27, 2014
They are great story tellers. A good addition to the DVD presentation by the same name. Should be mandatory in schools. You don't know where you are going unless you know where you come from. These were traumatic events that have left scars still felt today.
on December 2, 2011
Ken Burns changed the country when he released on PBS, "The Civil War". Viewers were captivated not only by the content, but by the special way Burns presented his series. This book is essentially the screen play for the series. It has most of the narration and the pictures found in the series. This book is high quality glossy with color as well as black and white images. A fine addition to any library or coffee table.
on June 24, 2016
For history buffs that are interested in the Civil War this is a must read. I loved it.
on December 30, 2012
As a narrative, this is a solid read, if you want depth on the subject matter, Caton, Foote or Ambrose is where you should devote your reading time. I enjoyed the book, but I have read100's of books on the Civil War, so I found it enjoyable but nothing more than an overview.
You will not learn military history, there is no complete treatment of any part, political, military or sociological deep enough to understand the issues involved but just enough for a casual reader to have reference to battles, people and the time of the war.
Enjoyable, light and readable, not great but will keep your interest.