Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 122 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 189 reviews
on June 25, 2011
Some games are just fun to play, regardless of whether they have the "bleeding edge" graphics that strain almost every PC or Mac. In short: Civilization IV is a fantastic turn-based strategy game.

In a traditional game, you begin as a fledgling civilization just abandoning your nomadic ways and eventually go from a small colony to a world power. Are you going to be a despot wielding a huge military power? Will you be the cultural center of your world? Will you rush to develop new technologies faster than your competitors? Will you become an economic powerhouse or will you forge alliances with the various other tribes and come to a place of prominence in international politics? It's your choice in Civ IV.

Regardless of the path you choose, Civ. IV requires you to use your wits to ensure that your foothold in the new world is secure. In additional to the traditional game, you have a wide variety of options. Want to start in the space age with modern technology and weaponry? You can do that. Want to play through some historical campaigns? There are a number of preloaded scenarios. Can you take over the helm of the American revolution and beat back the British? Why not give it a shot, you budding Washington you.

True quality stands the test of time. Yes, the graphics are from the mid 2000's, but what does that matter if the game is fun to play? I appreciate the new games with their incredible graphics and sound, but my point is you won't notice that the graphics aren't bleeding edge in games with quality gameplay and replay-ability. That's what Civ. IV is. It's well-worth the price.
on December 12, 2014
Apparently this download will not work on the new Yosemite for Mac. So money wasted... Don't download and please let me know if I missed something. I contacted Aspyr and their site stated this version is not compatible with Yosemite and they have no patch in the works. Wasted money.
on December 21, 2014
This doesn't work on Mac OSX Yosemite. I want my money back.
on September 17, 2014
If the rating scale was 1 to 10, I would give the MAC version of this excellent game a 9 for minor interface and graphic issues. It plays just fine, though, and actually loads and runs faster on my 13" Macbook Air than it did on my Windows 7 x64 boat anchor.
Civ IV has been among my favorite games for years. Recently, the last Windows laptop I will ever own burped, rolled over, and floated to the top of its tank. I came to Amazon for a quick download of the MAC version of Something-- Anything: starving for strategy. If you don't know what I mean, pause for thought before buying this highly addictive turn-based strategy game.
Your civilization begins alone on a dark and unmapped earth-like planet. You found a city, send out scouts, discover other civilizations, pottery, music... and eventually gunpowder. Use your time and resources well, and your cities will thrive with culture, wealth, and productivity. And bristle with military might, because they must.
The game presents a too-simplistic historical narrative, but it's a game, after all. It is beautifully implemented and very finely balanced, and much more strategically complex than the resource-gathering mouse-click races you may be familiar with in real-time strategy games.
The MAC version does not display the mini-map consistently on my MacBook, and some of the keyboard shortcuts I was accustomed to use in Windows were hard to find at first, but MAC OS loads the game much more quickly, and plays very smoothly. You'll be happy with it, if you are prepared to flex a little.
on August 24, 2013
I'm not really sure what's up, but I can't seem to run this game on my computer. I looked at the recommended specifications, noted that my macbook pro should
be more than capable of playing it, and downloaded it. While it was downloading I took the time to read a few of the reviews, where users were complaining that the
game crashes, even on the lowest settings. At the time, I chalked this up to old hardware, since many of the reviews are 4 or more years old. However, my
experience is no different. My game crashes on the lowest settings every time I try to play, I get no further than 10 seconds into the game and it crashes.
I hope that i can figure out how to play this on my current machine, because I don't have too terribly much money to throw around for new equipment.
I just don't see how the issue could be my hardware, because it was all developed after the game was produced, and exceeds the recommended specs two or three-
fold. Honestly, I am sure I would rate the game at least four stars if I could play it, but it is apparently unplayable for me.
on December 6, 2012
I had been a fan of earlier versions of this game for many years and other strategy games such as Sim City. In my younger days, I wasted away many weekends, and lost a lot of sleep over these two games. Now, I'm nearly 40, the owner of a successful software business, and I've made it a point to stay away from time sucking activities like this. But, for some reason, I had an itch for this game that I just couldn't ignore.

I thought, "I'm older and more mature now. I can handle it and keep things balanced."
WRONG!!!

This game has the power draw you in with intrigue and single-minded determination that can persists long after the sun sets and then rises again. And then, as you spend next 5-7 days recovering and fixing your sleeping patterns, you'll build new strategies in your head and can't wait to turn your life upside down again so you can try them out.

The idea of staying up all night addicted to a game is not new to me, but for most games, by the time 4am rolls around, you're feeling like a zombie and just completing the next task because somehow you feel like you have to. This game is different. When 4am rolls around, you're still having fun: excited and driven to succeed.

My only complaint is that I wish the game could move a little faster. It would be nice to spend a few hours one evening and feel that you made significant progress. Still, it's a really fun game.

But whatever you do, if you have any meaningful commitment the following day, stay away from this game!
on December 21, 2014
DOES NOT WORK WITH YOSEMITE!
on December 2, 2014
This will not work on OS 10.10.1 and Aspyr is fully aware of the problem though they make no mention of it here. When you visit their support page you will find that buying it here gives you a version that will not work with the latest operating system.

on February 18, 2015
This game is addicting, I have played this game and colonization since they first came out. Countless hours have been spent playing this one. I do not play video games very much except for Civilization. I am not even great at the game despite years of playing it. However with that being said I know it's a good game that I still play it 25 years later. One can't go wrong with this game, in fact I don't think I've heard anyone complain much about this game other than difference in versions. If you have played throughout the series there are small differences, but if your new to CIV then be prepared to become immersed. CIV is such a classic and is the defacto successful structure of what a classic game should entail, Have fun and say good bye to the world and tell your family and friends that you found a new love.
on July 13, 2013
Like many others, I downloaded this to a Mac Air - nothing. Amazon customer service was less than helpful (which is unusual as they are generally very good). I just chalk this up as a $20 learning experience and won't buy software from Amazon in the future.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.