Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 37 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 40 reviews
on October 1, 2010
This book is basically a rewrite of the included (free) civilopedia which comes with the game. It describes all the items and empires in the game, along with basic game strategy-- all of which is included with the game already. Maybe you might want a printed civilopedia, rather than viewing in-game, and then, maybe you could find a use for this. If you're looking for a guide on how to actually play better, or you know, STRATEGY, look elsewhere, like on forums or whatever, because this won't tell you anything, in a game that is RIPE for help-- with lots of obvious questions that remained unanswered after reading this book.

It's like they didn't even play the game, just looked at the civilopedia and a thesaurus, and wrote this book.

Boo. Save your $.
11 comment| 137 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Well I bought this for my husband so I'm just passing on what he's telling me. This guide is probably good for a new player who has never played the game before. It has a lot of very basic information but doesn't expand much further than the basics which is unfortunate because the guide is presented as containing this expansive information. i mean after all, the reason you're buying a strategy guide is to learn things, say 'strategies", outside of the basics that you can figure out with a couple hours of game play. Would only recommend this for brand new players. Players who are more experienced with the basics of this game will not find this guide useful.
on July 28, 2012
This guide is thorough, but I bought it along with the Civ V Game of the Year edition, and it turns out that the rules don't match. I can believe that the rules were changed in part due to the strategies suggested by this guide, as some of the Policies in particular have been nerfed. The Guide was still invaluable to climb the learning curve faster. I don't have 1,000 hours to devote to making mistakes while trying to learn all the rules which are not exposed in the Civilopedia.

Some of the value of the Guide took a while to appreciate. I wondered at the chart of units, until I realized that the game doesn't protect you against Upgrades that consume strategic resources. Do this once and you can cripple your existing units if you run out of that resource. The way the guide lays out its charts is perfect for planning your military technology progressions.

A marvelous book. If there was a version for the Game of the Year edition I'd buy it, too!
on February 13, 2012
The book was very good at giving a good insight into how each civilization should be played. It highlights the strength and weaknesses of each one and how to play the civilization and against it. It also contains each building with information about it and who should be building it. The information about the policies helped me a lot to understand which ones to chose depending on my place style and the civilization that I chose. I do recommend it for anyone that is sick of getting beaten by their friends in multiplayer. I do also recommend taking control of your workers so you know how each tile can be modified and make each city dedicated to its focus (Gold, Production, Science). The latest update for civilization is 1.5 I think and a lot of things are different from when this book was published. I.e. Values given by wonder etc are not accurate anymore. As well as policy saving is no longer valid.
on July 18, 2017
Great help
on May 16, 2011
The Civilization V Strategy Guide is a great tool to understand the subtle (and not-so-subtle) vagaries of the game, that make playing this updated version of the classic, a good very one. While many elements have remained the same, I've turned to the Guide when playing the game, when what was, presents itself differently. You see,...with a game like CIV 5, you blow right through the on-line instruction booklet, because you want to get to the action. The Guide provides a "hands on" digest, with good inside knowledge, to help you hammer (or chisel) away to a victory. A definate buy! Enjoy it and consider it your own "Free Technology Advancement", although at a nominal price. When checking to purchase the Guide at local retailers, several merchants told me that it was no longer in print. As usual, Amazon has it all! Their delivery was (as usual) spot-on and perfect!
on August 23, 2011
The Civilization 5 official strategy guide is a great reference tool (far superior to the PDF guide included on the game disc) and offers reliable game tactics for beginners. However, the guide only offers the most basic of strategies which will, at best, turn novice players into competent ones. Anyone looking for help taking on intermediate to advanced competition would be better served elsewhere. It should also be noted that this guide has an almost unbelievable amount of grammatical errors. Obviously this isn't supposed to be Shakespeare, but the number of mistakes made is so jarring that it saps most of the enjoyment out of the reading experience. To be honest, 3 stars is generous.
on May 12, 2014
Thought I had ordered the user guide for Civilization V the Expanded Version, which included instructions for the game and both expansions, and would have been well-worth the $50 I paid for it. Instead, I received only the basic user guide- with the $19.95 price sticker still on it. Guess I'll have to buy the rest of the user guide separately, but not from this seller.
on January 2, 2011
I bought this guide because I wanted a printed copy of the civilipedia that I could read at any time. I find it easier to go to the guide instead of the civilipedia. Also, the new version of civilization requires some of us to rethink our strategies and the guide points out these changes. Before I got the guide, I was playing the same old way and now I am playing with a different strategy. That is when the game does not crash. of course. I did find it hard to read at times because they must have used spell check and rushed through the editing. The grammar was horrible at times and words were inserted out of text.
on December 21, 2012
Don't understand how very new Users can begin to work through this game without reading and applying the background information provided, especially all of the civilizations involved. Condition and packing were excellent. Great value for the cost.
Only complaint is the darker background color of all pages which reduces contrast to text and makes it difficult to read under lower lighting conditions.
Quire pleased with purchase.