Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Greatest Hits
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports STEM

Format: Audio CD|Change

on May 21, 1999
This is a strange, package -- songs mostly made famous by the Clancys with their former partner (Tommy Makem), yet re-done in a one-off recording session for Vanguard. That said, this still works pretty well. At that time (circa 1973) the boys still had enough vim and vigor to carry off the old bravado of tunes like Rosin The Bow and Jug of Punch. The instrumentation is only average -- sometimes it's so simple that you miss it -- but that's hardly a major complaint.
on December 17, 2000
This is by far the best Clancy Brothers CD I have listened to. Not only is the price right but there are 24 songs on here with a wide range of appeal. Many are upbeat arrangements by the Clancy Brothers but there is also traditional fare here as well. BUY THIS AND YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!!
on October 19, 2002
Without Tommy Makem, Clancy Brothers' albums lose a bit of their Irishness, both in vocals and in playing, but it is definitely not a fatal blow. Lou Killen is a skilled singer and musician, and this 1973 double-LP has much that is worthily done. In fact, it would be my recommendation as an introduction to the Clancys for anyone who might find their bitter anti--Brit renditions, or mournful (and bitter as well) anti-World War I songs a bit much. This collection strikes a nice balance...the humorous songs are not as silly as some the Brothers have recorded, and the serious tunes are not as grim as others in their repertoire available on other CD's. For the beginner in Clancy lore, this should hook 'em. I've been a fan since 1962 or so. The ones I like best on this disc include "Gallant Forty-twa"; "Whistling Gypsy"; "Roddy McCaulay"; "Irish Rover;" "Old Woman From Wexford" and "Holy Ground." For the price, I don't think there is a better or larger collection available. (Just as an aside, I want to thank the original Kingston Trio for putting out several of these songs on their albums between 1958 and 1962. They led me to not only the Clancy Brothers, but to Woody Guthrie, Pete Seeger and Cisco Houston as well...and probably others, and those artists led me to investigate their own inspirations, role models and favorite writers. Such is the connective power of good music.)
on March 12, 2002
This is one of my favorite Irish ballad CDs.The tunes are well chosen for sadness, Patriot Game to the funny Old Maid In The Garrett.There is humor and rebellion and history here, all to be enjoyed by the Irish where ever they maybe,and as my father used to say, those that wish they were Irish.
on October 20, 1999
Some of the songs are little known, but all are wonderful to listen to. They're easy to sing with, and lots of fun. It's one of my favorite irish albums.
on March 22, 2015
All the classic Folk Hits that made the Clancy Brothers international stars! I had most of these songs on LPs and cassette tapes, now I've got them all in one place. I love this CD. If you lived through the 60s the music will take you back to those good times.
on June 7, 2014
The group was very popular in the 1970s and 1980s. They here sing 24 traditional Irish songs, recorded in 1973. They harmonise beautifully, with a fine background of banjo and guitar. All cheerful songs. For fans of Irish pub music, this is one of the best. For me, very pleasant memories of their songs that I enjoyed 40 years ago.
on February 5, 2012
I bought this album as an audio cassette titled 'Golden Hour of the Clancy Brothers with Lou Killen' in New York in the 1970's and have loved it ever since. As the tape will not last forever I have been searching for a CD version - I managed to find most of the songs but not 'the Mermaid' which is one of my favourites - and now I've found the whole lot under a different name! I think this is possibly their best album. I can't recommend it too highly.
on January 21, 2015
If you like the Clancy Brothers, you will love this collection of their greatest hits. The "politically correct" will dislike a few of the songs.
on March 1, 2014
After my first Clancy Brothers purchase... I just had to have another. They are such a refreshing quartet of energy and talent.