Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18_gno

on December 2, 2015
I ordered two pairs of these Beeswax Clark's Original Desert Boots from two different websites for comparison. One from Amazon, and one from the Clark's website. There are noticeable differences between the two. (SEE PHOTOS)
The pair I ordered through Amazon (on the left) are made of thinner, less quality leather. The ones from Clark's (on the right) are a much beefier, thicker leather with a higher quality grain and have more of a "real leather boot" feel. Whereas the ones from Amazon feel somewhat like cheap knockoffs in comparison. They are still a decent shoe for the price. But compared to the ones from Clark's they seem much flimsier.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
1616 comments| 604 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 23, 2017
Please read this before ordering! I've actually updated this review after wearing these shoes for several months.

I'm leaving this feedback in the hopes that it spares you the troubles I've had with wearing Clarks.

1.) You have to order at least half a size down. I tried Clarks in my go-to size of 10.5 and they were absolutely massive...even with thick, high quality hiking socks. After having them for a couple months, I might have been smarter to go down a full size to 9.5.

2.) These soles are marginally more comfortable than the bushacre soles, but these shoes are absolute murder on the feet. I've read reviews about these shoes molding to fit the contour of your feet after being broken in, but I haven't found that to be true. I've worn these shoes almost everyday for a few months and they just don't have any cushion or support. I had to break down and buy some insoles to help my aching feet.

3.) These shoes are not waterproof at all. I've tried several shoe weatherproofing methods such as beeswax and mink oil. In my opinion, mink oil has been by far the best. Not only does it help to soften the leather, it doesn't seem to leave your leather super dark for long.
on May 24, 2017
Tried ordering 1/2 size smaller than my standard size, still wayyyy too large. Ordered the brown shoe in this model, also too large. Sent all the Clark shoes back. Customers mention if its made in China get a half size smaller., if in Vietnam, get a whole size smaller...why complicate things, list the size equivalent for the country sales destination. They lost my business..and, .it costs about $5 per pair to return the shoes.
on January 12, 2018
These are great. I got the color described as "khaki" - they are really a deep brown/black grainy leather upper with the crepe-ish soles. A nice and modern color. Unsure why they're described as Khaki but the picture is representative of what I got.

These fill a gap in my shoe collection for being versatile shoes that should stand up to some moderately rough weather (rain, slush, etc) during my public transit commute each day, when it's not bad enough to justify the heavy winter boots. They should go well with almost any kind of pants/jeans. Very comfortable and versatile - great for the "work to play" outfit. The crepe sole is pretty casual, I would say you would probably need a different sole for a more business-formal outfit.

They have a little room, I would probably recommend ordering your size or maybe a half down from your usual size.
VINE VOICEon June 21, 2016
When I was a boy, my mother discovered Clark's Desert Boots, somewhere around 1960. She bought a pair for my dad, and one for me. We each loved our new shoes, and Clark's Desert Boots were part of my wardrobe for decades. Then they weren't. I recently bought a pair of Joseph Abboud look-alikes, but the sole almost immediately came loose. So, palm to forehead, what was I thinking? I now own 3 pairs of Clark's, these being the newest. I spend a lot of time working convention booths and standing on concrete. These are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. Now I look forlornly at the other shoes in my wardrobe...what shall I do with them all? Highly recommended.
on February 11, 2018
Not a fan of writing reviews usually. Most companies want to succeed and serve customers well. But as a long time 20-ish year buyer of Clark's products, the 2017 line of shoes has now twice disappointed and it needs to be heard loud and clear by Clarks executives. The Men's Desert boots have a very hard sole and almost zero footbed cushion. The sensation was like walking on a board and no where near the prior comfort of Clark's fame. The style and construction are also very basic, almost crude, for a well north of $100 pair of shoes. These were shipped back immediately.

Another pair of Escalade Steps was a gift shipped from Amazon this year (to replace the exact same model shoe purchased 10 years ago that had given faithful comfortable service). But it is obvious the shift of Clark's shoe manufacturing from Portugal to China for the US market at least is killing the famed quality of the Escalade model as well. These are $70-ish shoes and you won't get value for your money buying them. The newer Escalade has a similar lack of cushion of the footbed now and the new material for the sole is wearing almost immediately. Plus the shoe is far heavier and sole is "hard" cheaper plastic-like matrial so far-less comfortable than my 10 year old pair of the exact same Escalade model. If I'd not had to wear them for a week traveling for work where all this wear and lack of comfort became apparent, I would have returned the Escalades as well. They have at least "broken in" the uppers after 2 months, but the footbed still feels like a board. So beware the sweet low initial price on these, because the sour taste of your sore tootsies will last as long as you own them or put them in the Goodwill bin.

FWIW, the upper end Un-Seal Clarks seem to retain the legendary comfort from recent shopping in an actual "brick and mortar store" (likely also still made in original factories), but you have to head north of $160 to buy what used to be available across the Clarks product line. And the small plastic mesh bits on the back of the shoe tend to break down and look ratty after a few years. The un-Sheridan is still a good shoe without the un-Seal's issues with the mesh bits based upon a 3 year old pair. Beware and good luck!
on February 15, 2017
I purchased the beeswax style of these boots about a year ago, and I can truly say that the only real reason I would buy another pair of these boots are the aesthetic value and the durability. I have received many complements on them, and they are still in good shape a year later. No holes or worn out soles or anything. Where these boots fall short are 1) this may be specific to me but these things tore my heels up for about 2 weeks until I broke them in. Prepare to deal with this. 2) if you live anywhere where it rains a decent amount, beware. I live in the PNW. Due to the way they are stitched, water very easily seeps in through the toe portion. I actually wore them today in light rain and didn't step in any puddles. I walked for 15 minutes and by the time I got home the front third of both my feet were wet. This is not an isolated incident. There have been times I have gotten out of class and it is raining and the same thing happens. And this is after I have applied sno seal to them. 3) Going along with the rain, these things are extremely slippery on certain surfaces in the rain and I have almost slipped multiple times while wearing them.

While these boots look great and have held up pretty well, its pretty dissapointing that I pick my 45 dollar vans over my 150 dollar Clarks boots when its raining due to the fact that the vans keep my feet dry for longer than 10 minutes and I don't have to worry about eating s***. If you live in a less rainy climate though I guess it wouldn't be an issue. I guess they're called desert boots for a reason haha. Overall, I think they are a mediocre overpriced boot and do not perform well in any wet conditions. The only reason I would buy another pair is the way they look, and the fact that they are pretty well made. Side note: if you want to purchase these, be sure to get at least half a size to a size smaller than what you normally are. I am a 10.5 in vans and got a 10 in Clarks, I wish I would have got a 9.5.
on October 2, 2016
Pros-
Soft crepe sole
Color variety in both suede and smooth leather
Three season boot that doesn't overheat your foot
Cons- long break in period (as are most Clark's)
Sole gets dirty quicker than synthetics

Ive recently joined the Clark's bandwagon after years of contemplation. Price point has never been an issue because if you care for these shoes they'll do more for you than you could ever imagine from a cheaper boot.

I also have a pair of chukkas in suede from Nunnbush and Clark's. Obviously I bought a pair in beeswax because I was pleasantly surprised with the comfort of the suede Clark's after a week (these are the 65th anniversary Clark's). My foot size ranges from an 8.5-9 but I went a full size down and ordered a 7.5. A tight fit but I know that after the break in period I prolly wont stop wearing these shoes. The main difference I found between my suede Clark's and NunnBush is that the sole is far heavier and gives the boot a quality feel. I'm not huge on the fact that the sole picks up just about anything but my NB have synthetic soles, that in 8-9 months time, have already worn down the tread. I also find myself slipping easier on linoleum with these then I do my Clark's. The only better thing about my NB, aside from price, is that the shoe has a soft interior and the upper starts to age nicely.

However the cheap foamy insert and, for lack of a better word, tacky colored synthetic outsole made me finally switch over and I decided Clark's was the answer.

I'm very pleased and satisfied with this purchase. The color is perfect and the fit is superb. I find another issue with other chukkas is that there is sometimes too much room in the toe box and having narrower feet means my foot is sliding around.

With regards to people saying that the leather creases and cracks easily should condition and polish these before wear and you won't have that issue. Also fyi; leather is going to do that, especially if it's dry and traveling in a box.
review image
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 24, 2016
I have had these for about 3 years. Mine are the suede Oakwood ones. They have treated me well. Quality of materials is fine. Nothing is falling apart. Other than some permanent scuffs and some creases at the joint, they've held up great. There is nothing unexpectedly bad about them.

If you are worried about water getting into them, there are plenty of waterproofing sprays and kits out there. That said, I wouldn't take these in the muck with me, not unless I had some canvas leggings and a thompson, but for a day hike, walking through the desert, and the like, these do fine. I am not worried about them falling apart or being boots only in name like you sometimes see.

The crepe soles are very gummy feeling, but you get used to it, and despite my initial anxiety about it, they won't wear out incredibly fast, or break apart at the edges. They will capture a lot of dirt over time and the bottom of your soles will be really dirty unless you wish to clean them.

Perhaps the most interesting thing about these is that there is not a hard thud common to boots or heeled shoes. In fact, this is the most quiet pair of footwear I have ever worn. The loudest sound of you walking is either your sweaty feet inside the boot, or the shoelaces whacking the boot. It is very easy to have a completely silent walk with these boots. A great plus if you are a hitman, ninja, or just want to freak people out when they turn around.
on January 13, 2014
I love these boots. They are lightweight, comfortable, look great, seem well-made, and won't break the bank. The leather seems to be high quality and looks beautiful. Once they're broken in, they feel almost like slippers. The crepe sole is super flexible and springy, and very comfortable to walk on. What more could you ask for?

I will undoubtedly wear these until they fall apart, then buy another pair, and repeat!

That said, here's some sizing advice: I would suggest ordering these one-half size smaller than you usually wear. Some reviewers say to order a full size smaller, but for me, that would be too much. I usually wear a 10.5, and I bought these in a 10; they seemed quite snug at first, but after a few weeks, they fit like a glove! They also seem to be relatively narrow shoes, so if you usually wear wides, you might want to stay away.

The only small negatives: They provide almost no arch support; my feet don't mind this, but yours might. Also, the crepe soles turn black and look filthy after just a week. Oh well - people don't see the bottoms of your feet all that often. Finally, they don't seem to breath all that well, but that might just be the way all-leather shoes are.

As far as care goes: I have been inserting Woodlore cedar shoe trees immediately after taking my boots off each day, and I think this will help greatly in keeping them looking great for a long time to come. The Clarks site suggests using a conditioner/protector with oils and lanolin, so I applied some Dr. Martens Wonder Balsam (which contains lanolin, oil and beeswax). It darkened the boots a shade or two, which I'm okay with, though I prefer the original color - so be careful. It did provide the conditioning and protection I was looking for, though.

So... buy a pair now - you won't regret it!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.