Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Clean Eats: Over 200 Delicious Recipes to Reset Your Body's Natural Balance and Discover What It Means to Be Truly Healthy
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Dolly Parton Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

on May 8, 2014
Can you be in love with a book? I really think I have developed a deep, meaningful relationship with this one!! :-) I have had this book for just a week and have found myself saying, "Where have you been all my life?!" I have made so many of the recipes....Salmon Scramble with Cauliflower and Dill Puree......Vincent Arpino's Clean Brooklyn Sicilian Pizza Pie (Yes! Grain free pizza that actually tastes like pizza!!)......Thai Marinated Turkey Breast......Crunchy Maple Mesquite Walnuts (which I am now addicted to).....Scallion pancakes (awesome to freeze too) ....Zucchini-wrapped whitefish with Chive Oil (restaurant quality dish) .....Mini Raspberry and Coconut Cream Tarts (just don't eat ALL of them standing up in your kitchen like I did. You really should share them).....Coconut Zucchini Noodles and Spiced Meatballs (Heaven!)......Sunken Eggs (OH MY GOD, was that good...I licked the pan!)......and lots of salads, dips and drinks too. Most of the recipes in this book were created by Chef Frank Giglio, a chef who cooks farm-fresh, clean recipes for his community in Maine. There are other recipes by Clean Team folks, celebrity friends and just people who have been helped by eating this way, and they have short little paragraphs at the end of their recipe talking about their experience. It is fun and motivating to read these inspiring, little excerpts and it makes the book more like a story, which I love. So, I cook a few recipes and get motivated all at the same time....and then I sit down to a great meal! Everything that I have eaten or drank this week has come from using a recipe in this book and there honestly hasn't been one meal that I haven't loved. They also happen to be wonderfully easy recipes to make (thank goodness!) and use common ingredients that you can find anywhere. That is a big deal to me, because I hate finding a great, healthy recipe and then having to search Google maps for a special market that carries one ingredient in a 10 pound bag that I'll never use again. This book is simple, straightforward and just has really great food in it.

I suppose I agree with some of the other posts here that it would be great to have more pictures in their follow up books...there are 215 recipes and 40 pictures of the completed dishes...but it really didn't bother me enough to downgrade my rating. I made many of the recipes that have no picture, and the directions are clear and even pretty easy to follow for an "un-skilled" home cook like me. I guess pictures aren't a big deal to me because I'm 49 and am used to using my Mom's original Joy of Cooking and other, older, worn out family recipe books that have no pictures.....so all of the photos in this book are just happy icing on the cake for me. I guess if you're used to those cookbooks that have a picture on every page, you might wish for more, but you can do what I did and MAKE the recipe anyway and then take your OWN picture of the dish. Now, I have more pictures....not really because I was missing them, but because I just love the way these recipes turn out so I have to take my own shots of my food!

As I said in my title, this is SO much more than just a cookbook and all the information, stories and helpful tips, along with all the recipes in Clean Eats deserve my 5 star rating. I like this book because nothing has been left out! There are pages of tips for setting up your Clean kitchen, more tips about food items, kitchen tools and basic cooking skills. There are 7 short wonderfully motivating essays about Clean eating and making it a lifestyle. It is so much more than just the food. One of the coolest things about this book is that there is an entire 21 day cleanse meal plan, a 21 day clean gut meal plan and a 7 day clean refresh meal plan, all with page numbers for the exact recipes to make for every single meal! That is worth buying the book right there, as far as I'm concerned, and I actually came back here to Amazon today to buy a bunch of copies to give away to friends for that reason...it's got all the info you need and every single recipe to do all 3 meal plans. Very cool!

The other reason I love this book, and why it is even more fun to buy copies to share with my friends, is that Dr Junger is donating 100% of all the profits from this book to charity! How many people do that?? Dr Junger talks about the two charities, HealthCorps and Vitamin Angels, briefly in the book and also shares personal pictures of his family and life. This book is about joy and love and giving as much as it is about food. This book makes me feel connected to the people who had a hand in creating it. I like that. With all the medical issues I have been battling over this last decade, I like getting to know a bit about the people who are helping me get my life back. Eating this way makes me feel good....it is healing me and increasing my quality of life. The only problem I have with this book is deciding which dish to make! I think I'll just make a few and invite some people over to eat with me!
66 comments| 122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 29, 2014
There are tons of great healthy recipes in this book and I love the meal plans at the end for the 21 and 7 day cleanse. I just wish there were more pictures. I have to admit I was very disappointed at the lack of photos. I really like to see what a recipe looks like before attempt to cook it. I would have given this 5 stars if it had more photos.
11 comment| 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 14, 2014
"Clean Eats" is a wonderful extension of the very tasty recipes already presented through Dr. Junger's CLEAN program. I did the Clean 21-Day cleanse presented by Dr. Junger in his book, "CLEAN", and the recipes included were very good and I felt terrific at the end of the program. I have been doing yearly cleanses for the past three years, 21 and 24 days, and have been gradually changing my daily eating habits in order to stay healthy, feel good and take care of myself. "Clean Eats" is definitely supportive of a healthy life-style. The recipes that I have made thus far are simple and very good. In the back of the book, Dr. Junger offers a variety of meal plans so that if one wants a 7-day cleanse or is currently in the "CLEAN GUT" cleanse, the recipes are listed for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I find that meal planning is key to making life easier to eat healthy and maintain a balanced budget. One does not have to be doing a cleanse to enjoy the recipes in this book: I make up a weekly plan that incorporates Dr. Junger's recipes as well as pulling ideas from Gwyneth Paltrow's cookbook, "It's All Good", which is aligned with Dr. Junger's program for eating well.
on June 16, 2014
If you already have the Clean or Clean Gut books, I wouldn't recommend this. There is no new information and the recipes aren't very unique. Also, there aren't many pictures. I love pictures in cookbooks to see presentation.
on March 10, 2016
Nearly all of the recipes call for some kind of exotic ingredient that you can't easily find even somewhere like Whole Foods. Many of the ingredients are also just expensive substitutes for other ingredients that aren't necessarily bad for you. A lot of celebrity name dropping, as if a celebrity endorsement really lends credence to a recipe... Good luck if you want to try to eat healthy on a normal budget using this book.
on June 11, 2015
The book is a gem! I bought it months ago as I saw the author speak on Dr. Oz about being gluten free and dairy free and about gut health and overall health. I have health issues. I have looked for dairy/gluten free cookbooks but haven't found anything worth buying yet. This one, although not advertised as that, is - and also easy on the stomach and helps with inflammation. The recipes are ABSOLUTELY incredibly delicious - I mean better than any restaurant I have eaten at ever. So, if you want to impress people also, or make your kids super happy with your cooking - this will take it a step up..unless you are already an amazing home chef! I LOVE The recipes so much - made one today. I don't know why people are giving it one star and saying ingredients are hard to find and recipes are too complicated. I found it today extremely easy...and the others I made were also. I guess a couple ingredients I noticed, Asian ones, might not be what you have on hand. For example, the recipe I just made (minutes ago) a dessert, had called for coconut sugar. I happened to have that on hand because I cook asian food also. But if you don't have it, it's ok - you can replace it with whatever sugar you prefer. Stuff like that I get at a local asian store and it is so cheap.
on October 10, 2014
My husband has LOVED every recipe I have made from this book. Only downside: there's a lot of fish and vegetarian dishes in this book, and he doesn't eat seafood. Not the book's fault, just not a perfect fit for us! I'll continue to make the recipes out of this book for years to come because we feel GREAT after even one "clean" meal. Bon appetite!
on February 27, 2015
This is a gorgeous cookbook! I've been eating Clean for 3+ years and have enjoyed recipes shared in Dr. Junger's other books (Clean and Clean Gut), as well as those shared on his website over the years. So when I heard this book was in the words, I preordered on Amazon so I could be among the first to try the recipes. From salads and smoothies to snacks and entrees, Clean Eats is about nourishing your body, not about depriving it. You won't miss gluten, sugar, caffeine or any of the other eliminated ingredients. You'll simply enjoy the flavors and textures of the delicious, easy-to-prepare dishes that fill the book's pages.
on December 9, 2014
I'd actually give it 2.5 stars. Many of the recipes just don't appeal to me. There are a few I truly enjoy, some of the smoothies, slow cooker chicken, sesame noodles, chinese chicken salad to name a few, and the almond spice cookies (with adjustments). A word of warning - this book was not edited well, there are little mistakes throughout. Like for the Fish Tacos, talks about wrapping them in corn tortillas yet the recipe calls for sprouted brown rice tortillas. As others mentioned, some ingredients are impossible to find.

I would enjoy this book better if it didn't feel so cultish. I really don't like the whole "Clean Eats" vocabulary, just call it healthy, gluten free. What is really creepy is the author's fascination with celebrities and all the name dropping in the book. Who cares? So although I did find few gems in Clean Eats, overall I would not recommend it.
on January 5, 2016
I love Dr. Junger's Cleanse Program. It makes me feel so good. I bought this book to broaden my meal choices and was surprised to see many of the recipes marked "cleanse appropriate" that actually are not. On the cleanse you can't eat tomatoes, sweet potatoes, etc, yet recipes like Coconut Curry, Lemon Herb Chicken Burgers w/thousand Island Dressing and Mexican Black Bean salad all contain tomatoes or sweet potatoes, and are earmarked as Cleanse appropriate.