- File Size: 614 KB
- Print Length: 440 pages
- Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
- Publisher: Deadite Press (April 14, 2018)
- Publication Date: April 14, 2018
- Sold by: Amazon.com Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B07C71VGC4
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,085,935 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
|Print List Price:||$15.99|
Save $9.04 (57%)
Clickers Forever: A Tribute to J. F. Gonzalez Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
An Amazon Book with Buzz: "Sweet Sorrow" by David Nicholls
"With fully fleshed-out characters, terrific dialogue, bountiful humor, and genuinely affecting scenes, this is really the full package of a rewarding, romantic read."—Booklist Learn more
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
No, that’s not the sound of a deadly crustacean lurking nearby. It’s just me, typing my thoughts so furiously that I can’t be bothered to formulate another long-winded, flowery review. That doesn’t mean that I didn’t enjoy this book. On the contrary, it means that I loved it so much, I just want to blurt my thoughts with these bullet points:
• So far, I’d only read the first book in the CLICKERS series. When I received this anthology, I worried that maybe I should wait to read it until I’d read the others. I decided not to wait, and it still worked for me.
• I loved the mix of writing found in this book. There’s a nice balance of stories, along with tribute pieces. I enjoyed that the stories are set at different points in the CLICKERS series, and some of them are set in the worlds of other novels by J.F. Gonzalez.
• There was something I enjoyed about every piece of writing in this book, and with so much variety, I found it tough to select favorites, so I’m refraining from doing my usual “Top 5” bit in this review. Another great thing—I’ve discovered more new-to-me authors after reading this one.
• I’m sorry that I’m late to discover Gonzalez’s work, but on the flip side, how exciting is it that I still get to read many of his books for the first time? I’m especially looking forward to the fact that there will be more, previously unpublished work to come. I could really feel the love of his friends and fellow writers, and I’m sorry I’ll never have a chance to meet the man.
• Most books provide an escape from reality, but there are some that do the job better than others. CLICKERS unexpectedly did this for me, and it was the same with CLICKERS FOREVER. I had a busy week while reading this and just couldn’t wait to dive back into the pages every night.
• While there are heavy doses of humor and horror within these pages, there’s naturally a lot of heart that went into it. I didn’t expect this book to wreck me, but it did. (Especially that last piece by Kelli Owen.) This is another book to file under “Books I Want to Hug”.
If it’s not clear already, I loved this book. In the future, expect to hear much more from me regarding the CLICKERS universe and additional work from J.F. Gonzalez. It’s time to make more room on my bookshelves.
I have some catching up to do with J. F.’s work, but I have enjoyed everything that I have read from him so far and have nothing but respect for him as an author, historian and mentor. You can feel the emotion within the essays about his life and get a deep sense that he was really a good person that loved the genre he worked in and enjoyed every minute he spent passing along his love to others.
It’s no wonder his closest friends and most dedicated admirers were quick to rally to the call for this project, sharing their personal memories and stories about J.F., as well as tales set in the chompy creature-feature world of Clickers.
What’s a Clicker, you might ask? If so, tsk shame on you get reading! I mean, seriously, giant crab/lobster monsters with scorpion tails and acidic venom? Swarming out of the sea to sting, claw-pinch, melt, and eat people? And that’s only the beginning? Yes please! Clickers go cosmic, Clickers do crossovers, Clickers are just plain awesome cool and fun.
Reading this book, though, was a heartwrenching rollercoaster of emotions. I’m one who regrettably never had a chance to meet the man in person, only knowing him through his work and reputation, and even at that distance, the loss hits cruelly hard. Several of these anecdotes manage that rare trick of making you laugh and cry simultaneously, the ultimate bittersweet.
The fictional stories are, in their way, just as touching and affectionate. There’s a special magic in being allowed to play with someone else’s toys, a desire to do right by them, and that comes through on every page. These folks wanted to do J.F. proud, wanted to live up to being the writers he believed they could be.
If I made particular mention of every section that stood out, I’d basically be listing the entire table of contents and this review would be ten pages long. Just … just get it and read it, You WILL laugh and cry and need to drop everything and go hug your loved ones. So, do it. (and once again, f*** cancer)