Salon Beauty altText This Week in Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on March 21, 2010
I used this book for my USMLE step 1 prep, and I'm definitely glad I did. It's a great supplement to first aid. After taking the step 1, I can't help but feel grateful to the authors of this book. It has everything you need to do great on the exam. The illustrations were amusing. The summaries were clear and concise. The material is VERY high yield. It is a VERY easy read, I finished the entire book in 4 days and felt enlightened.
on August 22, 2011
This is a must have for anyone that needs to know drugs and bugs for work or school. This book gives you all that any clinical professional or student needs to know about the bugs and drugs designed to kill them. Great mnemonics and visuals to help the student preparing for boards or just a test during med or pharm school. This book assumes that the reader has some knowledge of microbiology and drugs like betalactams but it will not be over the head of even a first year student in any professional school. I bought the book as a supplement to my bugs and drugs class but ended up using it as a study guide for almost every test. The memory tools this book has worked so well I remember the stuff over 5 years later. If you are a visual learner you will be glad you have this book. The author uses great caricature type memory devices and I found them very easy to recall during tests. Next to the illustration is a description explaining the caricature and all the reasons it is drawn the way it is. They are usually funny so they tend to stay with you when you need to recall why a drug works on one bacteria and not another.

BUY IT YOU WON'T REGRET IT!
on February 18, 2013
I originally bought this book to help with learning microbiology during my undergrad studies and it was a great help. If you ever studied microbiology you know how boring those textbooks can be. Well this book is a step apart. It made learning fun and dynamic. The information is current and the funny graphics help you remember key details for testing. I have also used this book as a reference when I studied for my USMLE step 1 and it helped refresh the subject in a fast efficient way. I highly recommend it to any Biology major or Med Student.
on February 18, 2007
This is a very useful book if you are in rush (like me) to get basic concepts of Clinial Microbiology. It is structured in 7 chapters, dealing with the main culprits in the Bacteriology, Micology, Virology, Parasitology and "the very strange critters", Virions. This books is not a comprehensive Microbiology Treat, but a shortened, easy-to-read and to to remember sort of vademecum. The first chapters deal with the general bacterial taxonomy, structure and genetics; the next ones present the most common two-to-four types of Gram positive and negative bacteria, acid-fast mycobacterium, bacteria without walls and principles of antibacterial medications.The chapter dedicated to Viruses is as simple and clear as the previous ones, presenting the most common ortho and paramyxo-viridae, hepatitis and herpes viridae, retroviridae and general antiviral medications. Only protozoans and helminths are presented in the chapter dedicated to parasites. A short chapter presents the virions. Finally, the last two chapters deal with two as modern as worrisome problems around the world, antimicrobial resistance and bioterrorism. No real pictures of the membrane lipid bilayer or colony features on the plates are to be found in this book, instead the authors opted for really funny and meaningful charicatures meant to help the reader in remembering the concepts. An easy-to-read, but mostly to remember, book presenting the most common characters in Microbiology in a modern, thorough and really "ridiculously" simple manner.
on May 31, 2013
This is an excellent book! I purchased it for my medical micro course and it proved to be of great help! The diagrams and mnemonics are a great way to remember important material for exams. The book is very organized, well written, has excellent summaries (chart-based which are at the end of each chapter), and is very high yield. The only thing it lacks though, are laboratory reactions (which can easily be referenced in your micro textbook). Even then, it still contains methods for laboratory diagnosis (not so much in detail). I would definitely recommend this book for any clinical/medical lab science student looking for supplemental material.
on March 21, 2008
If you're intimidated by Microbiology, then this book serves as a great introduction. I was called to teach a graduate level microbiology course, which is very different than the specialties I normally teach. I'd never taken a microbiology course and textbook assigned to the course was daunting and too heavy to travel with on the airplane. So I ordered this book and read it over the weekend prior to jumping into the textbook. It's impossible to cover all areas of this vast topic in one, "simple" and concise text. In retrospect many concepts were oversimplified, but I do still it's a good buy, plus but it can even be amusing at times, considering it's a microbiology text.
Lastly, this book is among the best on this topic in the "idiot" or "dummies" series, and it orders of magnitudes better than the "Demystified: Microbiology " by Betsy and Keogh. That book contained nearly as many errors and typos as it did facts!
on February 17, 2010
There are numerous details in microbiology that have no rhyme or reason. How am I supposed to memorize all this? This book will help you do that in say 20% of the stuff you need to know. Yeah, it's not much. But, there really no other way to learn this stuff (or most things in life I guess) but just memorize them on your own. But with the amount of studying medical students need to do that 20% feels like a ton of bricks off your back. Now you just need to carry 4 tons instead of 5 tons. The cartoons help you remember.....the silly rhymes do that as well. I always read this book before reading the course material from the professor.
on October 10, 2013
Bought it for a penny plus shipping. Good review/overview of clinical microbiology. I did not find the mnemonics and pictures overly helpful for memorization, but then again, I am not studying the book actively, just have it on the shelf for a reference. It does have a good section on antibiotics, there interaction with microbes and treatment explanations. I found this very helpful, to have both the microbe and treatment discussed in the same book. For what I paid for it, it's a great buy, BUT I don't think it would be a value at full price.
on May 27, 2011
This book is extremely well written. We were assigned to read Sherri's Medical Microbio, but it's a pretty dense read and easy to get lost in the details.I was concerned that this book would be missing content, but it really covers everything (maybe even a little more clinically orientated than Sherri's). I also used this book to review the microbio portion of Step 1. The first time I read it I took notes in all the pictures, so you can just flip through all the pictures when you need to brief review. The charts at the end of the chapters are really helpful too. I enjoyed the whole MRS series, especially the ones written by Goldberg.
on June 6, 2008
This is a helpful book. I would not agree with the ridiculously positive view many of the reviewers have taken. It's very short, covers only the most important bugs, and does so in a very simplistic fashion. That is all for better or worse (if you are a typical med student with more on your plate than most people can imagine, I'd say better).

At the end of the day micro is just a lot of memorization. When you are trying to learn 10 things about 15 bugs for the next test this book may not be the most helpful. Other books like Levinson's have better comparison charts (really the key to learning medical micro in my mind) and more complete text. The charts and text of a book like Levinson's make it a better reference.