Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: CloSYS Original Unflavored Mouthwsh, Alcohol Free, 16 ounce
Amazon Vehicles GoldBox Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

Flavor: Unflavored|Size: 16 Ounce|Change
Price:$5.46 - $119.89

on January 3, 2011
Not by choice, but because of chronic allergies, I am a mouth breather. As much as I hate it, I have not been able to successfully prevent breathing through my mouth. Consequently, I have to be especially concerned with gum disease. Before I bought this product, I was suffering from receding, inflamed gums even though I used a Sonicare toothbrush twice daily, and rigorously flossed and rinsed with Crest Pro Health mouthwash. The gum disease was getting so bad, some of my teeth began to feel loose.

Fortunately, I found this product on here was immediately placed an order. I can't begin to tell you what a drastic improvement this has made in my dental oral health. I brush with Closys toothpaste morning and night and follow each cleaning with floss and Closys oral rinse. After two weeks of use, the inflamed condition was completely gone and my teeth felt secure again. I have now been using Closys religiously for the past three months and my mouth has never felt better.

A pleasant bonus feature of this mouth rinse is that it is a almost flavorless if you don't add the optional peppermint solution. So instead of having to feel a burning/numbing sensation, it is very smooth in your mouth and leaves it feeling refreshed with no after taste.

Everyone owes it to themselves to try Closys if they have any dental problems. I can't recommend it enough.
1212 comments| 92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 6, 2014
As embarrassing as it is to say this is what I've been looking for. I have struggled with stale breath for years. I have tried many products that mask but don't cure. I don't smoke. I brush and floss and use mouth wash after EVERY meal, but lucky me I just have bad breath. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten the conversational step back. Yep, talking to someone and then they politely step back to get out of range. How hard is it for some one to say with a little tact "sorry to tell you but your breath is a little strong?" Obviously very hard. So this is my next venture in finding help with my puppy breath...SO FAR SO GOOD! I've been using Closys 2-3 times per day since my purchase, and I'm happy to report so far no step backs! I'm still a little leery of being toe to toe in a conversation but so far no negative body language.

OK I have read a few reviews where some were having problems with burning and sore mouth problems. I myself started have similar issues when I first started using Closys. I stopped using the product for two days and then started back with no negative effects what so ever.

I personally use the mint flavor included. But in all honesty this is almost like rinsing your mouth out with tap water. Not really much of a taste at all. So if your one of the many who struggle with strong breath I think you should give this a try. Keep in mind you can't eat an onion and/or a clove of garlic and not expect strong breath to follow. But as far as personal hygiene for your mouth, for me this is extremely helpful. Good Luck.
on September 26, 2011
I started Dr Ellies program (you can find it when you google Dr Ellie). I am trying to remineralize my teeth so see if some tiny cavities will disappear the next time I see the dentist. She recommends this prerinse, Crest toothpaste, Listerine and Act fluoride rinse in combination with Xylitol to remineralize your teeth. My mouth is less dry and I do not have bad morningbreath anymore. My teeth seem to be less sensitive since I am using all these products and I don't get sore throats like I used to anymore. The only thing I do not like about this product is the price!
I recently began using CloSYS as part of the twice daily routine recommended in the book Kiss Your Dentist Goodbye: A Do-It-Yourself Mouth Care System for Healthy, Clean Gums and Teeth by Elie Phillips DDS. A pre-rinse with CloSYS before brushing, says Dr. Elie, "is extremely gentle on the delicate mouth tissues and yet actively removes some kinds of harmful mouth bacteria." She also finds it helpful for removing "the kind of bacteria that are found in gum pockets around your teeth" and especially recommends it for seniors, teenagers and people with extremely dry mouths. She claims that when used before brushing and without any added flavor, this chlorine dioxide rinse can not only strengthen and protect teeth, it can also have an immediate effect on bad breath.

So what's all this about not adding flavor? Well, CloSYS, when you buy it, comes flavorless, but the box the bottle comes in also contains a wee squeeze bottle of "Flavor Control" that lets users add however much mint flavor they like to suit their tastes. But Dr. Elie advises against that because "a chlorine-dioxide rinse is most effective if it is unflavored." She recommends we rinse before brushing, using a routine that allows the back teeth to be bathed in the rinse, because the area around the back molar teeth is where gum disease usually starts.

I've only been using this rinse for a few weeks, too soon for a personal testimonial. But if swishing CloSYS around in my mouth twice a day can help save me from needing to see a periodontist or receiving yet another chair-side lecture by my dentist's super critical hygienist, it'll be well worth it. And then some.
on August 7, 2015
Dentist was recommending a deep cleaning, scaling etc, hundreds of dollars. Got more than one opinion; my worst pocket was over nine millimeters, most in the five-seven range.

Fast forward a year of daily closys rinsing prior to brushing, then listerine and act (fluoride rinse) after wards , and chewing spry xylitol gum after meals - dentist was shocked! 3mm or less on all teeth!
on December 2, 2012
Closys rinse is a clear, non-staining mouth rinse.

It is free of alcohol and does not sting or dry the mouth.

It claims to kill 99.9% of germs that cause bad breath within seconds, to reduce the population of harmful bacteria in the mouth for hours after use, and to reduce plaque and tartar buildup.

It has barely any taste (it tastes mostly like water), but all sizes of Closys -- aside from the 3.4 ounce travel/trial size bottle -- come with a little container of peppermint oil flavor drops for those customers who choose to add some flavor.

It is made of: water, stabilized chlorine dioxide (the active ingredient), trisodium phosphate, and citric acid.

I like the fact that this rinse has no artificial colors, flavors, taste enhancers, sweeteners, alcohol, etc.

A few reviewers of this product have said that Closys has altered their sense of taste, but I did not notice any harmful effects on my tastebuds.

I had not heard of Closys before I began to follow Dr. Ellie's dental care system a couple of years ago.
(It is: "Kiss Your Dentist Goodbye: A Do-It-Yourself Mouth Care System for Healthy, Clean Gums and Teeth". I wrote a detailed overview under that item's listing, if you are interested in learning more about her system.)

Because the Dr. Ellie program involves using 3 different dental rinses back-to-back every time you brush your teeth, I could not tease apart the effects of the Closys rinse by itself -- however, it seemed to work well.

Most of the reviews I have read by people who use this as a standalone rinse are very positive about it.

---
By the way -- Closys used to offer a printable dollar-off coupon on their website, and you could print it off regularly. I am not sure if this is still the case, but it's worth checking their site to see. If you could pair that coupon with a drugstore chain's occasional sale or %-off discount coupon, a 32-ounce bottle bought in a bricks-and-mortar store might cost in the region of $9 or $10 that way, which is a good deal.

However, in my town, 3 drugstores sell Closys, but when I went to buy some locally, all the boxes of it were on bottom shelves, dusty, and out-of-date. I could tell they were out-of-date because even though the paperboard box and the rinse bottle did not have any expiration date on them, the free sample of toothpaste that was enclosed inside the box had an expiration date nearly 16 months prior to my shopping trip, so it was logical to assume that those bottles came off the assembly line quite some time earlier. To get a newly-produced bottle, I choose to order this product from Amazon, and the Closys I received from Amazon always seemed very fresh.

---
At the present time, Amazon sells this rinse at good prices, in four sizes: two 32-ounce bottles packed together, one 32-ounce bottle, one 16-ounce bottle, and one 3.4-ounce miniature bottle.

The best value per ounce is with the two large bottles, but I also bought one 16-ounce bottle because it's easier to use that size of bottle on a daily basis in my bathroom (when it runs low, I fill it up from the 32-ounce bottle which I store outside the bathroom).

If you just want to give this rinse a trial before committing to ordering a lot of it, or if you want a small travel-size bottle for popping in your briefcase/purse/backpack/suitcase, the 3.4-ounce bottle is a good buy at just over two dollars at the moment, and it's an "add-on" product which means it ships free with a valid Amazon order.
on October 8, 2014
This is a dental care secret too few people know about. My mouth is almost plaque free since I began rinsing with Closys twice a day. Combined with a Sonicare, the results are amazing.
It has no alcohol burn (or any taste at all), but they give you a little bottle of mint oil you can add if you like.
on February 24, 2010
I used to think oral care didn't matter. Big mistake. It's linked to all kinds of other major health issues. My dental hygientist recommended CloSYS and I've been hooked. It's a bit more expensive but it's for real. Not a cover-up and it takes less per use (pea-size amount of paste & 1/2oz of rinse). I won't go back to the other stuff. Colgate uses triclosan. Bad stuff-Google it. CloSYS just works. Breath product and heals sores and whitens.
on October 15, 2013
I had my first case of gingivitis in middle age. This stuff was on the counter in one pharmacy. I was told that other doctors were buyint it up. I thought I would give it a try. I did some research on how it works (basically a stable chlorine molecule to be germicidal and cut out the flora that causes bad breath. I WAS AMAZED At first I thought it a bit costly, but now that I use the very small amount needed. I use it AM PM and sometimes after meals...and bam any bad taste is gone...still not available in many places. Bought last two bottles on Amazon!!Love Amazon Prime
on August 27, 2015
I have periodontal problems and read the reviews so I thought I'd try it. WOW it's been 3 months and I can totally tell the difference of my gums. I luv this product. I even recommended it to my daughters' Dentist! I have a dental appointment next week for cleaning, and I know they will be able to tell the difference. A must have in your dental hygiene. I forgot to mention I also use the CloSYS toothpaste. This toothpaste is sulfate free. No Foaming at the mouth. It doesn't contain the sulfate that makes your shampoo bubbly. Goodbye Crest, Colgate etc. I know these items are a bit pricey, but it is worth it in the long run to keep my teeth and mouth healthy.