Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now STL18_GNO

on December 22, 2014
I got this book back in October at the Evernote Conference in 2014. Phil Libin raved about the book and now that I've read it - I can see why. As a futurist and a strategist, the book did a fascinating job widening my perspective not only 10,000 years into the future, but also made me very conscious about what got us here. What is it going to take to preserve aspects of our civilizations for thousands of centuries to come? Many great inquiries are posed to make you realize it takes a completely different mindset to think about the consequences of our actions 10,000 years into the future.

The book reads really easy - I don't recommend blowing through the book. The chapters are extremely short, its core point well made and provides the reader for thought. Let each chapter simmer and read no more than 1 chapter a day. You'll find this book a bit of a "tour of the ages" and if you're like me, you'll want to dive into references in the book's bibliography. This is probably one of the first books I thoroughly enjoyed *all* the end notes!

For anyone who strives to leave a legacy and perhaps more importantly, realizes their life's work will not be completed in this lifetime and its fruits will be reaped by later generations - this book is for you!
4 people found this helpful
on September 3, 2000
This book examines the topic of thinking and planning for the long term - and the author definitely means the LONG term. The book focuses on two nascent projects headed up by the author and the "Long Now Foundation" - the effort to build a 10,000 year clock and a 10,000 year library. This projects are intended to help shift humanity's concept of "now" to a much longer time frame. And with this shift in the concept of now, it is hoped that a new concept of responsibility for our individual and group behavior will emerge.
This book and the thinking behind it represent an excellent counterpoint to the prevalent and destructive view of "now" as beeing some extremely short term time frame - today, this week, or (for many corporations) this quarter. One can only hope that it is widely read. If the ideas behind this book and its associated project change only a small segment of our population's view about stewardship and care for the long-term health and longevity of our planet and our race it will be well worth the effort.
While I thought the book was generally very well-written, and presented many, many thought-provoking points, some of the ideas seem to have been rather poorly thought out and gave the impression of having been simply tossed in to the mix. At one point a potential role of the 10,000 year library as a repository of both sides of important debates is described - an excellent idea, but the objective is described as allowing future generations to know who to "blame" if things go wrong. Going to all this trouble just so our descendants can engage in blaming someone for something seems rather silly. Fortunately, there are loftier goals for this project, and many are very well described throughout the book.
This book has strongly impacted the way I think about the future. I highly recommend it.
23 people found this helpful
on January 15, 2017
A must read for all you have followed the work of Stewart Brand and all who loved The WHOLE EARTH Catalogues. Iinsights from almost 20 years ago that fit the pace of the tech changes, and the advance of the conceptual age. The vision withut limits with how we can create a Long Now vision.
on December 27, 2017
I like Stewart Brand's view of things. If you haven't read this book, you're missing out.
on February 3, 2017
Very intersting book really worth reading, very broad prospective and deep understanding.
on April 6, 2016
I loved the book. Caring about what's beyond one's life is precisely the point.
on September 10, 2013
The long view isn't taken very often in today's world. This book makes a good case for long-range thinking and planning. It moves a bit slowly ... I do recognize the irony here.
on January 29, 2000
The LONG NOW is an philosophy, a way to look at the world and at history that is finding its symbolic expression in a extraordinary, creative and novel clock to be designed and built over the next few years.
The people involved in this project to me are some of the most thoughtfull and creative minds of our civilsation.
on July 23, 2016
A thought provoking book.
on July 3, 2013
In some ways the long term view is a luxury. There wasn't enough of given a current state how to balance the desired short term next state and some distant future state.