Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $54.99 for a limited time only Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TNF TNF TNF  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on May 31, 2014
So, I have read this book so many times, I have entire passages memorized. I read the Clockwork series before the Mortal Instruments and it really helped with the development of many of the characters you find in the Mortal Instruments. So, if you are going to read the Clockwork Series and the Mortal Instruments, start with the Clockwork series because many of the characters are in the Mortal Instruments.

I love the story of Will, Jem and Tessa. I love the way they end up. Overall, I just love these books. I have been on the edge of my seat, laughed, cried and been inspired. It is truly a wonderful set of books and I never get tired of reading them.

I even purchased the audiobooks and have listening to them numerous times. Of all the books I own, This series are my absolute favorite. When I can't figure out what to read, I read about Will, Jem and Tessa. I have even purchased the graphic novels.
on September 30, 2013
Once I started this book, it was difficult to put it down. Clare does a magnificent job amping up the tension and throwing new twists in to befuddle the heroine.
Tessa is quite admirable. Her affinity for literature and the continual references to characters in classic works helped me understand her character better. She has an awesome power but she would rather have a family and individuality.
Clare creates a cast of characters I look forward to following in the other books of the series.
I prefer her vampires to the sparkling creations given to us in other books of this genre. Her creation of angels to fight the dark creatures is well conceived and compelling.
There are many questions that need to be answered and will keep me reading the rest of the series. I hope that Clare continues to bring on the conflict from unexpected scenarios and sources.
on June 4, 2012
I really enjoyed reading this book! You cannot help but relate to Tessa's plight, and her desperate search for her brother while being thrust into this insane world filled with angels, demons, vampires, and more! While she is instantly drawn to Will with his sarcastic wit and tough guy persona, Tessa is constantly pushed away and rebuffed by him. Although I understand that there has to be this turmoil in order to establish a substantial romance of longing and desire, it just seems somewhat petty at times (on the part of Will). Perhaps it is perfectly in line with the manner in which teenagers function, dramatically to say the least (haha). The story is filled with twists and turns that leave the reader breathless! One minute you are sure that you have it all figured out, and the rug is instantly pulled out from under you with the turn of a page. All of the characters are perfectly done! They each have different personalities and agendas. You can't help but hate Jessamine and feel extreme saddness for Jem... Clare does a phenomenal job in characterization and plot lines. The end will leave you breathless, and somewhat sad at the sametime...
on June 1, 2013
As this is not my usual genre, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this series. Setting the action in an "old world" era helped it work for me. The characters were well developed and much happened I didn't expect, though this may be partly because this is not the type of book I usually read. I actually picked the book because of the time frame, as I thoroughly enjoy historical fiction, then found myself completely surprised to find myself reading science fiction and enjoying it. The youth of the characters took some getting used to, as it left me feeling the series was meant for the early teen reader, rather than an "elderly" reader, but the youthful passions were well done and did not leave me feeling I was living in a long-outgrown fantasy of teenage passion. I also appreciated that passion was so well expressed without having to resort to descriptions of sexual activity. I also loved the twists and turns in the story line, the melding of magic and reality.
on March 20, 2017
I loved the Mortal Instruments series and felt adrift after I finished it. So I dove into the Infernal Devices series and I think I like it as much if not better! First of all, it is set in the 18th century which is fun with all of the dress and expectations of proper behavior, etc. Second, the two main characters love books and poetry so it is so fun to hear them discuss it and refer to it. It makes me want to re-read some of the books that they discuss. Really really enjoyed this book.
on January 27, 2012
I had put off reading this novel for some time because of the comments suggesting that the characters were re-dos from the first series. When the second book came out, however, and got such strong reviews, I decided to go a head and read the first book. I am so glad that I did. CA is really really excellently done. Yes, there are some similarities between Will and Jace but Will is still very much his own character. He is much more attached to the people he cares about in this story than say, Jace is to anyone except Clary. His bond with Jem, who is really nothing at all like Alec, completely sets him apart from Jace. Jace is a lot more self absorbed than Will when it comes right down to it. Tessa is the character that really makes the story work. She is so much more interesting than Clary. Clary to me, took so many things in stride while Tessa adapts to situations bacause she has to but you can still see how all these changes and discoveries affect her. She is such a girl of her time and Ms. Clare does a great job of keeping her consistant. Also I love the way the dialogue is written in the story. I love the way Jem and Will speak. You can practically here their high bred English accents. All in all, this is an excellent story with great characters and a plot that completely draws you in.
on January 19, 2013
I read a lot of Urban Fantasy; I would go so far as to say it is my favorite genre generally to relax and pass the time. None of these books are world shaking, thought- provoking classics, but there are some very good, imaginative writers out there and many that just bore me silly.
Say whatever you want about her writing technique, (and I do agree, the constant description of eye color, hair color, detailed fashion statements and the rest gets more than a little redundant) the author builds an engaging imaginary world and characters, innovative plot lines and exciting battles and I find myself eagerly looking for free time to see how events turn out.
I have read both this and the Mortal Instruments, and despite some irritating elements, I find both series very enjoyable reading for any age, with stories that involve the reader and characters one cares about, when you don't want to slap them around a bit for being stupid (why do none of these gorgeous, intelligent and good people ever believe they are worthy of being loved? and also don't believe it as many times as the object of their affection affirms they love them? As a plot device this does get tiresome book after book)
Considering how much I read, and how many simply boring books I have discarded halfway through over the last couple of years, I will say that the Cassandra Clare books have always been an engaging enjoyable read, and am looking forward to the next in both this and the Mortal Instruments series. No writer is perfect all of the time. but these series will deliver.
on December 28, 2016
I am very impressed with this trilogy so far. I loved Clockwork Angel so much that I started Clockwork Prince the same day! I love turn of the century England and Cassandra Clare brings it to life in all its grit and glamour. I last saw Tessa and Jem in Lady Midnight and loved seeing how they started their relationship. Of course Will is very much Luke Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights. My favorite part of her books is an appearance by Magnus Bane! I love that warlock and ache for him every time he has a broken heart which is pretty much all the time!
on October 5, 2015
When I read The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones, I was not hooked the way I was hooked with Clockwork Angel. I think that having some background knowledge about the Shadowhunter world--knowing what a parabatai is, knowing what an iratze and a stele are, knowing what the purpose of a Shadowhunter Institute is, etc.--definitely helped propel my liking of the book. But, there are also many other reasons why I fell in love with Clockwork Angel.

Here are the five reasons why I gave Clockwork Angel 5 out of 5 stars, and since I wrote such a long intro I'll try to keep it short:

★ CHARACTERS
The characters in The Infernal Devices are so lovable. I fell in love with Tessa, Will, Jem and all the inhabitants of the London Institute a lot faster than I did with the characters of The Mortal Instruments. However, there were some similarities between some of the characters in TID and TMI; for example there was a lot of Jace in Will.

I also found that the characters of this series are incredibly complex. They all face a lot of internal struggles. There's Tessa, who learns that she has the ability to transform into anyone (living or dead). Discovering this supernatural talent causes her to question everything about her life. Then we have Will Herondale, the boy with lots of secrets. Will, for reasons unknown, abandoned his family when he was young and sought refuge at the London Institute, choosing the Shadowhunter life over his family's exiled-mundane lifestyle. And, finally there's Jem, Will's parabatai who also joined the Institute when he was young after his family was slaughtered by a demon. Jem suffers from a mysterious illness that will become very important to the plot of this trilogy in the next two books. I personally found this "illness" to be one of the most interesting character Achilles heels of the story. Jem's illness was a very different subject matter for Clare to write about and I loved it.

And, of course, there's Magnus Bane, my favorite of all of Clare's characters. Magnus is just that character who I wish was my best friend--he's funny, charming, has a good heart, and is very resourceful. So, I was especially excited to find him in this series.

I think that the characters of The Infernal Devices are very different from any other characters Cassandra Clare has written (besides Magnus, because, ya know, he's still Magnus).

You can't beat this set of diverse characters Clare has so perfectly crafted.

★ SETTING
I was reluctant to read TID because of the 1870s London setting, but I ended up really liking the story for that reason and I felt that the setting really added to the plot.

With this book, I was transported to a different era and to a city I've never been to. But, I couldn't say that about TMI.

Cassandra Clare is especially talented at worldbuilding. I think that that's one of the reasons why I love her writing so much--I feel like I am literally in her world. And, she did an especially good job with this in Clockwork Angel.

★ PLOT
As is typical of Clare's works, in Clockwork Angel Shadowhunters go up against an evil villain who threatens to cause chaos and mass destruction in the world. That was expected; I wasn't surprised to find that this was the plot of the story.

However, there were a lot of points that made this plot more unique than just that. For example:

There is a villain, but the Shadowhunters do not know who he/she is. They know that the person's name is The Magister, but there are a number of people who he/she could be. So, it's kind of like a game of clue within the plot! Fun!
Tessa is the weapon the villain wants to use to do evil things. Our main character could become a weapon of mass destruction. How intriguing is that?
And there are a lot more spoilery points that make this plot unique, but I wouldn't do that to you guys. Of course there is plenty of action, adventure, romance, and...

★ HUMOR
It ain't a Cassandra Clare book unless it's got some witty humor.

I think I've said this before in one of my Mortal Instruments reviews, but I'll say it again: Cassandra Clare is so good at making me laugh! One minute I'm heartbroken, the next minute I'm laughing.

When I wrote about The Mortal Instruments, I talked about how I love Jace's dry humor and sarcasm. Now that role has befallen his ancestor, Will.

You are going to have to read my Clockwork Prince review in order to get an in-depth explanation of the perfection that is Will Herondale. It seems that sarcastic humor runs in the Herondale bloodline. As well a very amusing fear of ducks.

★ FILLS IN THE BLANKS OF TMI
Reading TMI, there were so many references to ancestors of the New York Institute Shadowhunters, like Will Herondale, and I never quite understood them. But, now everything makes sense. Especially the end of CoHF.

What I love most about Clare's Shadowhunter Chronicles is that they are all connected. All of her characters are connected in some way whether they know it or not. And, there is something very beautiful about that. It kind of makes you think of all the people out there that you are connected to, and you don't even know it. You may never meet them. But, it's the possibilities that matter.

***

Needless to say, I really loved this book. This series is soooo good. If you've read The Mortal Instruments but haven't made it to The Infernal Devices yet, stop waiting! I realize that I did myself a terrible injustice in waiting so long to read these books, so don't do what I did!

I have completed this series, and I will tell you that it is better than The Mortal Instruments.

There, I said it. The Infernal Devices is better than The Mortal Instruments.
on March 28, 2017
Loved this book and the whole trilogy. The writing was amazing! It kept you interested while giving the perfect amount of dialogue, description, and action. Goodness, the teen romance is so adorable. This book leaves you so intense and makes you talk out loud while reading the book (which is a good thing for me because it shows I am invested in the characters and plot). If you love Cassandra Clare or fantasy, I would definitely recommend.