A Clockwork Orange (Two-Disc Special Edition)
|Additional DVD options||Edition||Discs||
|New from||Used from|
|Watch Instantly with||Rent||Buy|
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
A jolting tale of crime and punishment stars Malcolm McDowell as a young neo-punk who becomes the guinea pig for a state-sanctioned cure of his tendency toward "the old ultraviolence.]]>
- Disc One:
- Commentary by Malcolm McDowell and historian Nick Redman
- Theatrical trailer
- Disc Two:
- Channel 4 documentary: Still Tickin: The Return of Clockwork Orange
- New featurette: Great Bolshy Yarblockos! Making A Clockwork Orange
- Career profile: O Lucky Malcolm!
Top Customer Reviews
So, this review is strictly about the quality and extras of the BLU-RAY.
Hands down, this is one of the best transfers I have seen of a movie this old. Most blu-rays seem of older movies seem to be patchy as far as quality goes, but this one is consistently great all the way through.
The extras are what really sets this apart though. Commentary by Malcom McDowell, A documentary about the film, and a making of!
A solid buy for fans of the movie - this is a significant upgrade over past DVD's, and for the first time I don't feel ripped off by a repurchase/upgrade.
On a side note, Come on Amazon! - Start filtering the product reviews for blu-rays. What is the point of listing ALL of the DVD reviews for the same title? Seems like it could be an easy fix - maybe they'll actually do it someday...
This High Definition master (which is also the source of the BluRay disc release) is spectacular. This is how I remember the movie looking upon its original release in 1971. Pristine, startling, amazing.
Repeated viewings over the years of worn-out circuit prints, VHS and standard-def DVD had dimmed the movie's capacity to astonish. Now, in High Definition, the luminous brilliance, texture and color of the images are restored; and the richness of the images makes a tremendous difference to the film's impact. The sound is also excellent -- certainly superior to the original theatrical release in the days of optical soundtracks.
In addition to the beauty of the Hi-Def picture, this is worth owning because (at last) it is a close approximation of the original theatrical aspect ratio (screen shape) -- the theatrical presentation being, after all, the venue for which Kubrick composed his shots. (Ignore those who claim he meant this film to be seen in full-frame 1.33:1, as in all the previous home video releases. He clearly created it to be seen in theaters, and in theaters he had the image matted to 1.66:1, which is very close to the aspect-ratio of this BluRay.
Buy it; watch it on your big-screen 1080 HDTV in a dark room, uninterrupted. Real horrorshow!
This is a 2-disc "Special Edition," with the same extras as the standard-def DVD in the 2007 boxed set: commentaries, trailer, new interviews with Wm. Friedkin, Sydney Pollack, Malcolm McDowell, Wendy Carlos, Mrs. Kubrick, others.
Then take advantage of the long-awaited 2011 BluRay release of "Barry Lyndon" (1975), Kubrick's underappreciated masterpiece, which also benefits greatly from a beautiful High-Definition transfer.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I saw this film in college and again as part of my film education. It remains an outstanding example of a Dystopia society that is different than our own. Read morePublished 1 month ago by K. Kelly
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Customers Also Watched on Amazon Video
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Cult Movies > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Fully Loaded DVDs > Special Editions
- Movies & TV > Fully Loaded DVDs > Two-Disc Special Editions
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Drama
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Mystery & Thrillers
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Science Fiction
- Movies & TV > Indie & Art House
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Futuristic
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > All Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Drama
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Sci-Fi & Fantasy