BCA Month Beauty Magazine Deals Women's Coat Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

on May 21, 2012
This great guide contains so much helpful info on shooting subjects at close range that you'll be surprised at its convenient compact size. As an amateur photographer, I need techniques that are explained well but not too technical. Hallett achieves this and more. The guide is written in simple, easy-to-understand language which is not intimidating to the less experienced learner. The guide is interspersed with creative ideas and techniques which have helped me tremendously. This guide also contains tips on camera care and I love that it is compact enough to go along in my camera bag. I LOVED the "extras" in the book, e.g., fold-out gray card and white balance card plus handy punch-out cards on metering and achieving correct exposure. This book is a great find, it will be used often, and I'm very happy to have it in my library. It's truly making a difference in my close-up shots.
on December 24, 2014
Liked this book--liked it even better when I learned I could get it on Amazon, but then learned you can get one for the iPad but not the PC--you'd have to spend an extra $9 to get both versions so I didn't like that. And I didn't like that when I got it into Kindle that I couldn't highlight good passages and I didn't like that I couldn't do what I am able to do with other books, but. . .

Close Up & Macro Photography is an excellent book and all the information was relevant and will be able to be applied. The picture illustrating macro v close ups were good, the concept of projects was good, but could have also been elaborated upon. I liked the way color and the color wheels were explained and illustrated with pics. I take a lot of photos of butterflies and thee information was good in that section of the book and will be helpful with respect to ISO, aperture and shutterspeed, but I would like to have known where to go to photograph a butterfly in the dew (I would have never thought to look under a leaf) I have never been able to find a butterfly early in the morning.

A very good book that read easily. Filmmaker 19
on July 21, 2016
Good book but very basic. If you're a beginner this is a good starting point.
VINE VOICEon February 21, 2013
If you are new or just want to get more out of your close up, or macro photography, this is as good a title as any out there. Covered are chapters on gear, metering and exposure, light, focus, composition, color...all the things that contribute to a fine macro photograph. Being somewhat experienced, lots of this was reinforcing what I have already learned, but some nuggets were still there to find. My favorite and most useful chapters were the project ideas, where there are some fine butterfly and flower "portrait" ideas, and of course the post processing chapter..something I for one can't ever get enough of, software, types of files, etc., even talks some about sensor cleaning. The book is "handbook" sized, which makes it easy to stuff in a camera bag for reference, and a pull out reference card is in the back.
I would highly recommend this to anyone that would like to raise their macro game.....
on March 15, 2016
Very good!
on February 7, 2013
This book was priced well and small and easy to carry around. It has lots of very useful information.. ..
on July 29, 2014
This is a great intro book into macro photography.
on April 15, 2013
So, this book is much more of a book that is for someone mostly new to photography in general...rather than a person that has learned the basics and wants to learn more in specific about a single subset of photography.

Much of the content of this book speaks about a number of general photography concepts - quality of light, direction of light, exposure, compositional basics, etc....but very little content about shooting in "macro" (1:1)....

very little of the book is very specific to macro...most of the book can be better covered for beginners in other books such as "understanding exposure"....

There simply are better books on macro basics...this one is pretty poor IMO
on June 24, 2013
I was looking for more tips, the gray card with book is nice. I didn't see any info in book that you can't find just looking on internet. Probably would not purchase if I had looked at ahead of time.
on October 21, 2012
I have enjoyed reading the book so far. Just starting to learn about close-up and Marcor photography and this is a good read while at my daughter's practices.