Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on January 8, 2014
I admit that I was not exposed to the true Tom Waits in the past. He is a great writer and a fine musician. "Closing Time" It is a mixture of many different styles of his music. This was Tom's first album (to the best of my knowledge). I believe this was as good as anything he ever compiled since.
Starting the album out with "Ol' 55" (a classic, covered by the Eagles), Waits sets the mood for the music that follows. He does some of his most beautiful, sad tunes. "Martha", "I Hope that I Don't Fall In Love With You", and "Rosie" -- in all of these songs, the lyrics tell a story of regret for relationships that slipped away in his past. "Old Shoes" is a country classic. "Ice Cream Man" stands out as an uptempo but simple song with excellent guitar work. "Grapefruit Moon" is a mournful ballad, beautiful strings and engaging melody, and it is my favorite track on the album.
Tom's voice is unique, his writing thought-provoking. I wouldn't call this album 'uplifting', but I would say the quality of the music and writing is amazing, and these are very deep personal experiences he conveys. Tom Waits is a significant and unique talent in American music. Don't miss him.
2 people found this helpful
on June 10, 2007
Tom Waits's first album "Closing Time" is appropriately titled, because it perfectly captures the mood of the bar between 1:45 - 2:00 a.m. during last call. This is one of the definitive late night listening discs in my CD collection, and if I had a dollar for every time I've slipped this one on after a night at the bars I could quit my day job. Probably the best known song off of "Closing Time" is the opening song "Ol '55" which was later to be covered by The Eagles and Richie Havens, although neither captured the melancholy mood created by Waits. His voice was still young in 1973 and was nowhere near the grit and bombast it would attain on later albums, but his voice was perfectly suited for the songs on this album. "Hope That I Don't Fall In Love With You" is a well written description of the cat and mouse games people play near the end of the night, and gives the listener a glimpse of Waits's talent at the songwriting craft. One of my personal favorites off this disc is "Lonely", which is a spare and simple melody that never fails to tug at my heart when I hear it. One of the reasons this album is so effective is due to the many moments scattered throughout it that bring a tear to your eye. If you can listen to a song like "Martha" and not be moved in the slightest your heart must be made of stone. This album and "The Heart Of Saturday Night" were Waits at his most accessible and I would recommend either to those who are new to the music of Tom Waits. Waits moved further into more challenging realms as his career went on, but this album remains a snapshot of a budding genius.
6 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon January 16, 2011
My introduction to Tom Waits was back in 1975 and I was hooked. His voice, lyrics and music were perfect for what you'd want to be listening to late at night in exactly the sort of settings he painted with each wonderful tune. He captured the mood of late night perfectly. Heart of Saturday Night was the first album of his that I purchased, and then this one.

After these two albums his voice became gruffer and more gritty, the songs (to me, anyway) less melodic and they lost the balance that the first two displayed. Well, this review is not about the later ones, it's about the first one, Closing Time, and its a masterpiece. His voice and phrasing fit the images, melodies and lyrics perfectly and this is one very well-balanced album.
2 people found this helpful
on February 15, 2018
Always thought this was one of his best albums
on June 5, 2013
When you think about the types of music popular in the 70s, it's hard to believe something like Closing Time even came out within 20 years of it. Among other things, here is a man in his early 20s singing a love song from the perspective of a man half a century older and it's 100% believable. I can't speak highly enough about this album.
on March 3, 2015
classic album. One of the greatest albums of all time in my opinion. If you love Tom Waits, and for some reason have not heard this album yet you are in for a very big treat. literally every single song is an orgasm to your ears. I love Tom Waits, & I really feel like this is one of his best works. Buy it and you definitely will not be disappointed. I am an avid collector of vinyl records and I have 3 copies of this. Now including the digital version.
on December 6, 2006
We all are so human, and so alike in our vulnerablity. That is one of our more endearing qualities, to me. This album points that out so beautifully to me at every turn, in every way.

Tom Waits is so extraordinary in his ordinariness. He is outstanding at delineating what makes a man a clown, a lover, someone you would fall for in a second. He is a romantic. A prince in bums clothing.

I came late to Tom Waits--I am old, not quite as old as he is, but I didnt know about his music particularly early on. Is it possible I wasnt grown up enough to appreciate him until my forties? What kind of an idiot am I? He is spectacular.

I adore this album.

Every song sounds as if he is singing to you alone.

Although many of the people who review ths album used to drink to it (boy do I understand! It has that feel, and of course the title song plays into that), I dont drink, so I COOK to it. I dont even cook my own meals to it...I cook for my husband and listen to the CD in the kitchen. Lambchops take around twice replaying my two favorite songs, the first two. I wish lambchops took longer. The whole album takes chicken breasts or something like that.

I am reeling at the end of the album even if I am not drunk--intoxicated by the headiness of vintage Tom Waits.
7 people found this helpful
on April 15, 2016
Totally retro late night listening. Nothing like his gravellly voice.
on February 8, 2014
Everything fine. CD in good shape with no scratches. I love this CD, can't get enough of it! I bought it because of the song I Hope That I Don't Fall in Love with You. I listen to it in my car.
on October 26, 2016