Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: WD 4TB My Cloud Personal Network Attached Storage - NAS - WDBCTL0040HWT-NESN
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports

Size: 4TB|Style: Single Drive|Change

on January 27, 2014
I have to admit I had some serious reservations purchasing this NAS based upon the sheer number of bad reviews. I read through them and there seemed to be a common thread to several of the problems.
1. Changes IP address
2. Loses connection / goes to sleep
3. To Slow
Knowing, I hoped :-), what I was getting into. I purchased the NAS. First let me say the NAS is dead quiet and this is good because it sits 2 feet away from me!

When I read the IP address was changing I figured it was a DHCP issue. It would make sense to assign a static IP to the NAS, however Western Digital chose not to do that so... During the initial setup the first screen tells you what the assigned IP is - WRITE IT DOWN - after you get through the setup and before you try and access the NAS you are going to need a few pieces of info.
1. The IP address for the NAS (for me it was (192.168.1.60)
2. Subnet info 255.255.255.0
3. Gateway info 192.168.1.1
4. DNS info (whatever your ISP DNS numbers are)

Now log into the NAS and look at the upper right of the screen, it should say "settings" with a gear symbol, click it. Now look for the tab that says "Network" and click on it. Change from DHCP to STATIC and fill in the blanks with the info you collected earlier and you're done, now the NAS won't lose its IP address.

(IMPORTANT) ****The new NAS IP**** be sure to choose an IP address that is above or below your pool of DHCP IP addresses to avoid conflicts****

Loses connection is what I think might be the NAS going into sleep mode...Sleep mode seemed counterintuitive to me for a NAS. So to eliminate this I again went into settings and under the "General" tab I found energy saver and turned off "drive sleep" Checking my electric meter, it hasn't exploded from the massive power draw (seriously kidding) this thing must have to place it in "energy saver" mode so I guess I am ok...

To slow was a wild card for me and it could have been a bunch of things, my bet was the antivirus software and for me I was spot on. Moving 20 gig's, wirelessly, took 2 hours with the antivirus on...turned it off and it cut that time in half.

I hope this is of some help to someone out there!.

Overall I really like the NAS which is why I gave it 4 stars, it would have been 5 but for some poor choices on the manufactures end with default settings, IMO
It has performed without issue so far and I will update this thread if there are any changes.
9898 comments| 4,129 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Size: 2TB|Style: Single Drive|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
UPDATE with benchmarks is at the bottom of the review:

Western Digital has put together a very nice network attached storage (NAS) device with the My Cloud. It was very easy to set up for both local and remote access.

A few things to know up front:

1. This device cannot be plugged into a computer for use.
2. It needs a hard wired ethernet connection - it cannot connect to your network wirelessly.

The My Cloud probably has one of the best web-based configuration interfaces I've seen. In fact it's possible on most home routers to find the device just by pointing a browser at wdmycloud.local - you don't even need to dig around in your router settings to find its IP address. Once in it's very easy to configure folders and users.

Also of note is that the Macs, Windows PCs, and even smart TVs in the house could immediately find and access the drive through their native interfaces. If you don't plan on using the drive remotely there is absolutely no software installation necessary. I do not recommend installing the configuration software Western Digital will suggest you use as it will stay resident on your computer and just links to the web based control panel anyhow.

The drive offers the ability to restrict access by user, including hiding folders from those who do not have access and assigning read only access to certain users.

The drive successfully streamed content I originally recorded on my iPhone to a Samsung television. The TV is DLNA compatible and was able to find the My Cloud drive on the network automatically. It popped up in my source list when I pressed the remote control button - a nice surprise. The drive is able to serve media files fast enough to play back Blu Ray quality movies on compatible devices.

Remote access works well. When using the drive when away from the local network special software will need to be installed on a Mac or PC to access files. Opening files through the software will copy the file to the local computer for editing. Once saved the file will then sync back to the My Cloud drive.

The drive can also be accessed from iOS and Android devices through a free app. The app performs similar to other cloud storage services, with the ability to upload and download photos and videos from any location.

Another great feature is the onboard USB port for connecting external hard drives. It supports just about every file format out there, including Mac Journaled HFS (the standard OS X file format), as well as Windows NTFS and FAT and FAT32. The external drive can be accessed through the MyCloud as a folder, and can also be used to back up the contents of the MyCloud disk through a special imaging function.

Overall this is an impressive NAS device that is packed with features and very easy to get up and running.

UPDATE --

I ran some benchmarks on the drive using the BlackMagic Design video drive benchmarking tool. I found that it does pretty well, writing about 26-28 megabytes (not megabits) per second and reading at approximately 63-65 megabytes per second when connected via gigabit. Your mileage of course may vary but the speeds aren't too shabby for a network attached drive.
120120 comments| 2,072 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 12, 2013
I purchased this drive as soon as I read about it online. After WD fumbled with the ordering I received the WD My Cloud 2TB and set it up. First off, it is not as easy as the literature conveys but there are a few things you can do that will help and a few considerations you may want to take into account before you purchase.

1) Install the the companion app WD SmartWare that come with the drive. This will allow you to map the "shares" (folders) to your computer and interact with your files like you are used to.
2) Yes, the standard program that installs requires you to "drag and drop" your files into the cloud storage however, remember that this is an extra layer of security. Again, mapping the most used folders (or "shares") will make things much easier.
3) Make sure you install this to your internet through a gigabit router (or switch). This will improve your speed and prevent bottlenecks. If you have a recent model of a wifi router it is likely that it will support fast transfers (check the owner's manual).

I have used the smartphone and tablet apps that are free and I have not had any issues. I have also used the software on a PC and a Mac without problems. The unit seems responsive and (so far) reliable. I had a 1TB My Passport lying around and I plugged it into the back of the My Cloud and it was immediately found. The manual indicates that with a powered external USB hub you can attach up to 7 USB storage devices.

Despite the few extra steps needed to install companion software, the device is enjoyable and very responsive. I like knowing where my files are and having access to them with multiple different devices.
1111 comments| 763 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 20, 2013
I am very tech savvy. I am CompTia Certified in A+, Network + and Security+

I recently purchased the 4TB MyCloud and initially found the connections to the device (from my laptop computer) to be very slow. I went into the "Services" section of my OS (Windows 7 Ultimate) and checked 4 settings...I found the problem!

You need to make sure that the following 4 settings are set to "Automatic" and that they are (even) started:

1. DHCP Client
2. NET TCP Port Sharing Service
3. SSDP Discovery
4. UPnP Device Host

For the technically challenged, the way that you access the above settings is to:

1. Right click on My Computer
2. From the menu, left click on Manage
3. Click on Services and Applications
4. Click on Services

The services are listed in alphabetical order, so they are easy to find.

You will be amazed at how much faster your MyCloud works!

FYI: I have a 3TB external drive connected to the MyCloud device, so that my unit can perform backups of itself each night. They're called "SafePoints" and can be used to restore your Cloud device, in the event of a failure.

Lastly, the WD Concierge Service, which comes with the unit, is based in the Carribean. (for initial issues like setup etc) If a problem can not be resolved, you will be transferred to WD Level 2 support, based in California.
1919 comments| 390 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I bought "WD My Cloud 4Tb" ro replace a "WD My Book 3Tb" that had failed. Fortunately I had most of the data on some other internal or external drives.

I received WD My Cloud one week ago, opened the box, followed quick installation guide and tried to fill it with over 2Tb of data on some other usb or internal drives.

It updated to the last firmware version (v04.00.00-607). BIG MISTAKE.

I noticed that transfer speed was between 2Mbps-5Mbps (an not the 70Mbps that should). I tried everything including connecting the drive through different Gigabit routers, disabling all sharing, rebooting, even connecting the drive directly to my laptop using the provided cable. Nothing worked.

After over three days to be able to transfer the first 1Tb at a speed that is worse that the worst SD card you can currently buy on the market, I decided to call WD support. Only after several hours, and many tests, they transferred me with level 2 support, and they informed me that "the last firmware version v04.00.00-607, has this performance issue. WD engineers are working on a new version, but unfortunately there is neither an ETA for a new version, nor rollback option".

On top of that, the media scanning is stuck on the same number of "Other" media, and HD is always busy.

So here my advice for Amazon Customers: Avoid firmware version v04.00.00-607 by disabling automatic updates before you connect the drive to the internet.

And here are my requests/advice to WD:

a) Disable automatic/manual updates for buggy version v04.00.00-607 IMMEDIATELY!!!
b) Test firmware before publishing
c) Allow firmware rollbacks in case anything goes wrong
d) Hurry up with a new non buggy firmware version!
e) What is the ETA for the new version?
f) Inform not only your Level 2 customer support personnel, but also your Level 1 that firmware version v04.00.00-607 does not work, so that customers can avoid long useless test hours.
g) Allow user to disable media scanning that seems to be the cause of the problem.
1111 comments| 179 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on December 5, 2014
It was easy to setup and share across all my devices. However, I really hate the interface. It's horrible. It doesn't act like a traditional file folder, like a plugged-in harddrive or Dropbox does. Instead you have a cloud-based file viewer that doesn't allow you to change the view, so you are looking at TINY thumbnails - which is a complete pain if you are looking for a specific photo. It also doesn't allow you to search. I cannot use this as a central repository for my stuff - it really only works as a backup for me with this unfriendly file view. I also had trouble trying to get iTunes to use this for the file source.
In the end, I can only really use this as a backup system, which is a bit disappointing considering I would have been better off forgoing the cloud option and going for a plugged in external HD or a paid subscription to Dropbox in order to navigate more easily.

---------------------------
Update: I am downgrading this rating to 1-star. I do NOT recommend buying this if you ever plan to use this for, even as a backup.

I finally gave up trying to find files. The interface is impossible to use. I just got a 2TB Seagate portable harddrive for under $100. The kicker? I can't drag and drop nested folders from the WD Cloud to my hard drive - it tries to make them a zip folder, and then I get an error when trying to open it. Now I have to parse through all the files and figure out how to get them over individually. It would be helpful if this cloud hard drive had a plugin option as well, as downloading things over wifi is much slower than being connected via USB.
review image
1111 comments| 146 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Size: 3TB|Style: Single Drive|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The WD My Cloud 3TB NAS seems to have overcome some rather serious initial problems to become a stable and reliable platform for Network Attached Storage.

From what I have been able to surmise, most of the problems that people first reported with these units were due to bad coding in the firmware. The unit I received had the newest firmware pre-installed, so I never experienced any of the problems that many of the other reviewers her have complained of. Granted, I am one of the lucky ones, but unless you are buying a used unit with old firmware (which can be easily updated) no one buying the units from this point forward should suffer from the same problems.

With that said, there is a lot to like about this lightweight NAS from Western Digital. Gigabit transfer speeds, multiple protocols for downloading, archiving and streaming, high storage capacities, relatively simple software to use, the ability to chain multiple, additional drives via USB3, a dual-core CPU and much lower power consumption than you would need from using a dedicated server.

Personally, I am using the unit with a USB3 hub to manage 3 additional SATA drives. So, I have the internal 3TB for storage, another 3TB external drive, a 4TB external drive and another 2TB drive. All told, this unit is managing 4 hard drives with a collective capacity of 12TB. Pretty impressive. I am using a POWERED 4 port USB3 hubSabrent USB 3.0 4-Port High Powered Hub with 4A Power adapter Reverse compatible to USB 2.0 (HB-USB30), and two of the external drives are actually self-powered using their own power supply. I would highly recommend using a powered USB3 hub if you are going to use one for adding multiple drives. Preferably, one that puts out at least 2 amps at the requisite 5Volts.

I had previously used some of these drives for attached storage with a full-blown home server. This arrangement uses much less power and is certainly easier to set up than most file sharing programs. I can drag and drop files easily across my network or any of the drives on the NAS. It took rebooting the NAS each time I added a new USB3 drive, but that was a one-time thing. I honestly do not see any significant difference in the speed of file transfers across the network as compared to having the drives connected directly to a (quad core CPU) server. Then again, I usually limit my transfers to single files at once. I have not tried moving multiple files among separate drives on the NAS. I have also disabled some of the (unneeded, to me) features that I know would slow down the NAS. In particular, I have disabled the iTunes server, Drive Sleep (might save a little bit of energy, but may cause problems with drives being "visible" on the network), SSH (I can always enable it if/when I actually need it), DHCP (it is just simpler for me to use a fixed IP address on my LAN), Media Streaming (not really needed to stream audio/video if you use a player such as VLC to begin with). I also do not have my system set up to "Content Scan". I already keep different types of media in different folders, so I know what is where. Storing your media in some sort of order (even if it is only you that understands it) will save you both disk space and keep the NAS' CPU overhead to a minimum, so it can do what it does best... namely, transfer files back and forth.

The web interface for the NAS is fairly simple and straightforward. While you can use the downloadable WD program that let's you drag and drop files from your PC, it isn't strictly necessary. You can accomplish the same thing using Explorer in Windows, as long as you have sharing set up correctly. You will need to use the web interface for admin functions like setting up new drives, creating shares, adding users, etc. For day to day use, you can just mount each share as a regular drive in Windows or Linux and it will reappear every time you reboot the machine.

If you want to get the fastest transfer speeds possible from this unit, you will want to have every computer/device connected via a gigabit ethernet switch. If you have a home router with multiple ports in back, don't assume that they each provide gigabit speeds. Most likely, each of those ports provides 10/100 connectivity. A router that uses gigabit port speeds is usually more expensive. Of course, if your computer itself does not have gigabit ethernet, this is a moot point. If you have a laptop, there is no easy way to upgrade it to gigabit ethernet. With a regular PC, it only takes adding a fairly inexpensive PCI card to get a literal 10x boost in speed.

At the moment, my NAS has been up-and-running for the past two weeks without a reboot or any other type of incident. As long as you have your network configured correctly and use practical settings, the My Cloud platform seems to be an excellent unit for home or small business network attached storage needs.
review image
44 comments| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 7, 2013
The latest firmware update (which I installed in November 2015) seems to have resolved the issues I was having, so I'm tentatively adding three stars back to my rating. Immediately after the update I received two notification e-mails from the device, so that was a good sign. Later I found that I could once again use a USB drive connected to the My Cloud. I'm still not entirely confident that the drive will do everything it's supposed to, for obvious reasons (see my older comments below). It doesn't help that after the firmware update the drive didn't reboot successfully. After letting it sit overnight, apparently frozen, I finally had to restart it by disconnecting the power supply. Not at all the behavior described in the on-screen prompts you get during the firmware update process.
***************************************************************
Initially I thought this drive was great, but it hasn't lived up to my expectations. Instead, it has been very unreliable, for the following reasons:
1. It stopped recognizing the USB hard drive I attached to it for the purpose of making automated backups (i.e. "safepoints").
2. It stopped sending the e-mail alerts I set it to send. It will send a test e-mail, but actual alerts (which are supposed to notify you of new firmware releases, successful or unsuccessful backups, and quite a few other events) are never sent.
3. When automated backups were working, they sometimes failed to complete for no apparent reason.
4. Western Digital's tech support has not been able to help me with these issues. They have suggested that I restore the drive to its factory settings, which involves reformatting the drive. As far as I'm concerned, this means that the product doesn't do what it's supposed to do. I bought it to protect my data, not put it at greater risk.
5. The drive sometimes becomes active (i.e. makes sounds as though it is busy reading or writing) when I have no idea what it could be doing, and for long periods. This makes me wonder if someone is browsing through my files, or using the drive to generate spam--who knows?. As far as I'm concerned, if a network hard drive is going to be making noise, it should tell me what it's busy doing.
6. I also feel like I'm putting my data at risk every time I update the firmware, and firmware updates have been fairly frequent. The user interface tells you that the firmware is being updated and that the drive will automatically reboot when the process is complete. Most of the time, the reboot is unsuccessful. The solid white light that is supposed to indicate that the firmware is being updated or the OS is loading stays on, indefinitely. You have to hope for the best and disconnect the power to restart the device so that your computers can see it again.
In summary, this hard drive sounded like a great idea, but it has turned out to be a disappointment and a waste of money.

***************************************************************
I bought this hard drive after reading a review of it online. I needed to consolidate and back up files that I had accumulated on multiple computers, and a network-attached hard drive with backup capabilities sounded like something that would really help me get organized. I found the WD My Cloud very easy to set up, and I've already moved most of my data to it. I've attached another external drive to its USB port and scheduled automatic backups ("checkpoints") of the My Cloud. You can do this from your browser without installing any software.

I moved my iTunes music files to the My Cloud and iTunes works fine; in fact, the music doesn't cut out momentarily the way it sometimes used to when my library was on a local hard drive. I also have a Squeezebox Touch which plays music from my iTunes library. That was a little tricky to set up with the My Cloud, but it's working fine now as well. (Basically the trick is that in Logitech Media Server you have to enter the location of your library beginning with the IP address of your My Cloud instead the letter for a mapped drive--for example, you would enter something like \\192.168.1.5\Share\iTunes Media and not Z:\iTunes Media).

A few reviewers here have pointed out that you can't connect this drive directly to a computer. While it's true that you can't do this via USB, you can with an Ethernet cable. (I haven't had a reason to try this myself. Also, the manual only gives instructions for Windows on this feature, so I don't know if it also works on Macs.)

I like that you can set the My Cloud to notify you by e-mail about problems, firmware updates, the completion of backups, network connectivity problems, etc.

Based on my experience so far I would recommend this product. I'll update this review if I encounter any problems.
77 comments| 164 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 15, 2014
So, I've seen where different expert looking people have given this device good reviews, more or less citing user ignorance as being the problem in most cases. Being an IT guy myself, I know all-too-well how often ignorance can make a good product look bad.

Not the case here.. I have an enormous amount of experience with ten or twelve different types of network storage mechanisms... this product is bad, outright.

Sure, its priced extremely low for a device of its type. One could argue the "you get what you pay for" deal... but I think that products, regardless of their price, should be held to at least some sort of performance expectation. I could sell you a hammer and call it a "3d building construction simulator" ... but, c'mon... once things fall below a certain point.. they're just crap.

I read one review where someone more or less "debunked" the different complaints for this device.. I'd like to just base my review off of his.

> He says, "Slowness" = "Anti-virus"

Anti-virus is for suckers... I don't use them... it's slow because its just slow... really slow. I've spent a good amount of time, money, and effort converting my rather sizable home network to gigabit capable. Flowing in and out of every device is cat6 cable. I think I've peaked at around 1.5MBps (12 Megabits) with this guy. Horrible, really horrible, by just about any standard.

It seems clear to me that the processor used to power this device's smart features is incredibly slow. It's also been installed as a sort of bottleneck. For example, if the drive is doing its media scan... which is does often [by default], transfer speeds tank to virtually nothing.

You'd think that its function as a NAS would be paramount in the design of this device, but its apparent to me that it was not.

I also think that its NIC is crap, but I have not tested that specifically.

> He says, "Disconnects" = "Drive Sleep"

Maybe. But that mean's that the drive will "sleep" in the middle of practically anything. It disconnects for reasons unknown to me, but its clearly not-by-design... unless the designer was drunk. It seems that my drive is going offline constantly. I use it only a few times per day, but it still manages to be unavailable at precisely those times.

If it were wireless, I'd consider giving it a pass (though still probably wouldn't) .. but it has a Ethernet cable... no excuse.

Personally I think the drive errors and reboots often, and that's the disconnect.

> He says, "Changes IP" = "DHCP"

Ok, he's right on that... that's precisely the reason. If the drive did not crash, or err... disconnect... so often, then this would be less of a problem.. but it would always be a problem.

Also, yes, it really boils down to WD defaults.

The main gripe I have with this device, as with all NAS appliances, is that they must be awesome, or they are a complete waste of money. I bought mine in hopes of stashing the family photos and videos on there so that we could watch them anywhere in the house, but, since its slow it does not serve as a primary storage device. I find myself copying the videos and photos ahead of when we might want to view them onto the device we want to use. So, at best, its a nice "middle of the night backup device".. when speed doesn't matter at all.

Its also not reliable. This is my own fault. When I bought it I knew it did not have RAID, and bought it anyway. That was a huge mistake. Because it doesn't have any redundancy, and because it can hold 3tb of data, its a problem waiting to happen. Although I was brave enough to buy a non-raid NAS, I've yet to be brave enough to isolate anything important onto it.

Bottom line: I don't care what measurement you're using, this drive is bad. Spend a little more on a proper NAS.. you'll be glad that you did.
review image
88 comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 27, 2015
I bought a 1TB WD My Cloud since it doesn't exist in the Amazon market. I intended to get a 1TB to upgrade with one of many WDC 2TB hard drives I bought through out the years. After 3 week trials and errors with all the set up here is my final stable solution.
1. Turn off the firmware auto update when you set up the device for the first time. If you already updated to V4, search to down grade back to V3.
2. Must have a Gigabit router (check my review on TP-Link Archer C7 here) to transfer data from usb 3.0 laptop hard drive to the device hard drive - my transfer rate through Ethernet is 50MB/s.
3. It's not slow, I can watch 2GB MP4 1280 HD movies with a hotel wifi 500 miles away from home, perfectly, no stuttering. Make sure port forwarding is in place.
4. The whole unstable things are from setting up the dashboard and the V4 firmware. You won't see the lost connection with V3. Set Static IP instead of DHCP.
5. Even with password sharing, my Samsung Smart TV can play all the movies loaded to the device hard drive under the username. It doesn't see the attached USB hard drive if set to NON public, only sees if it's set to public.
6. My 2 Yosemite Mac-wanna-be can back up with time machine 2 separate back ups (100GB and 240GB). When I back up, I hooked up through gigabit Ethernet less than a few hours.
7. All my Android devices (phones,pads), Apple devices (iPhones, iPods, iPads) are connected to the WD My Cloud on an off home base and stream music and movies effortlessly with both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz.
8. Make sure to create users for wd2go for desktop, laptops when away from home.
9. The hard drive capacities price difference are minimal, get the biggest one - 3-4TB.
10. Create a user for family to use that doesn't have write permission. At least 2 users with full write permission just in case. Load all movies, music into the family folder for family to use with a simple password. Register family user with wd2go.com for family laptops to use while away.
This is how mine is set up.