Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Foo Fighters PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 11-20 of 31 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 74 reviews
on July 14, 2010
This was a fun book, but not the greatest. It was told from a female point of view and that was a bit different for me. I did still enjoy it and had absolutely no trouble finishing it. I doubt I'll ever read it again, and not sure I'd recommend it to too many friends. However, if you're interested in dark comedy type books you'll probably enjoy this one.
on February 15, 2015
Great book, good price
on May 14, 2013
I love this book. Monica Drake has created an evocative portrait of an extremely atypical underdog, striving for love and artistic fulfillment as a clown in a marginal community on the wrong side of the tracks. I have a soft spot in my heart for characters like Nita, aka Sniffles. I found myself relating to her romantic yearning and her idealism, and cringing with every one of her bad choices. Drake's writing is so alive with the quirky details of the subcultures she explores - I enjoyed her casual yet familiar evocations of Chinese medicine, the low level drug world, and the frustrated heart of an artist, as well as the vivid portrayals of the motley crew inhabiting Nita's little corner of Baloneytown. This is the kind of book that is aching to be adapted into an indie film script...
on January 2, 2008
...the book, yeah. But I'm talking about the character. She's sick and cute and unsure of herself and I fell in love with her. She's like a sick little lost puppy you just want to take home and nurse back to health. This book is so endearing without being at all sentimental. Awesome read from a great new voice in literature.
on February 2, 2017
I'm 200 pages in this book and it's not bad, but not entirely good either. It is funny and Nita "clown girl" is a loveable loser who just can't get a break. Except from a kind cop who just pines and risks his job over and over for her also kinda pathetically. Spoiler It's also false advertising it's not so much clown prostituting as much as just a clowns wacky adventures. Again I'm only 200 pages in, it's just what I have read. To sum it up it's an OK book.
on October 7, 2008
"Finish the first fifty pages!," I kept saying. "You got through 100; that's a good portion." "Chuck, where are the laughs?" "Who didn't see this coming from a mile away." These were just a few of various comments I huffed and puffed as I made my way through this perfect example of forced dialouge and 'jokes.' I was all too thankful to finally read that...*spoiler alert*...they (I'll leave it as they) broke up. Take it from me, the ending serves as the perfect analogy to anyone thinking of picking up this book. This book is like a relationship: it's better to end on a good note than find out all its faults and decide only way too late that it wasn't the right fit for you. Of course, this comes after much self loathing and questioning of one's ethics and integrity. Avoid having to come up with all this relationship stuff and never pick up the book. Never. That being said, it's a fairly light read when you can actually start the page turning, but you will be forced to endure some very large pockets of very weak and boring, boring clown fiction. 3/5 stars is being nice.
on April 20, 2014
I like this lady (Monica Drake) right away because she not only worked with Amy Hempel she actually was in a writing group with Chuck Palahniuk and I have all his books. So she's immediately great starting there. The story is a similar writing style to Palahniuks as well, it's a good, funny story and the main character goes through all sorts of hell throughout it. I liked it so much I bought an extra book for my girlfriend.
on November 19, 2007
I'm an old guy who's been reading books since my late 20's, and for a slow reader, I've gotten through quite a few. I can say without
reservation that Clown Girl is one of the most interesting and deeply
moving books I've ever read. I loved it from front to back, and I
cried hard when I finished. I always cry a little; it's just moving
to experience a thing whole. But I cried hard for Clown Girl. I
love the style of the book, the dead-on dialogue, and I really love her jokes. This is a truly funny book. I sincerely hope there is a long stream of these things coming. If she keep writing them I'm gona keep reading them.
on August 8, 2013
After looking into books suggested based on my love of Palahniuk's work, I found this coming up over and over so I decided to give it a shot. It's not terrible, but it kind of drags on without anything really happening and then everything wraps up quickly at the very end without any real sense of satisfaction. I liked the world that Drake created, but the plot was lacking and predictable.
on February 13, 2014
I liked the characters, I liked how she described things and the over all ending had a deeper meaning. Personally I have no idea how this girl survives tho. She refuses to eat, shower, drink and change her clothes. it's a very descriptive novel and it was so descriptive of a nitty gritty life style I often wanted to shower after finishing a few chapters. Good read! Dirty girl.